New Engine Build Overheat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I just finished a 15 year journey of a restore including an engine rebuild.

I have about 40 miles on it. It seems to run very hot. Is that normal? The stock gauge shows nearly pegged.

Any thoughts? Guidance?

Thanks, Ron

A few other ideas: Is your fan direct drive or clutch operated? If clutch, is it operating correctly? Did you test your thermostat? Radiator plugged?

Get actual engine temps instead of relying on the stock gauge.
That was an eye opener for me, it's surprising how low the stock gauge actually sits at normal operating temperature.

Burp the system.

Did you clean out the coolant passages when you rebuilt the engine? There is a lot of crud that builds up on the backside of the #6 cylinder. If that stuff started migrating through the system it could clog up the top of the radiator. I learned the hard way.

That was an eye opener for me, it's surprising how low the stock gauge actually sits at normal operating temperature.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into these tomorrow.

I have an endoscopy camera to examine the top of the radiator.

Any recommendations on a coolant flushing additive?

I also have a Gano filter in my upper radiator hose, I can visually see what crud is passing through the coolant system.

I do not have any advice for a coolant flush product, aside from a garden hose with the engine running for a while.

During my renovation I had to change my temp gauge by a used one, and since then it indicates that my engine was hotter than before.
Seating right in the middle in regular operation and going way over the 2nd mark when pushing it... but no concrete sign of overheating...

So did this to calibrate my eye to my gauge:
(temp sender in kettle with temp control, ground wire from sender body to battery ground, live wire from sender pin to gauge wire)
1665882495999.png

So now I know where the thermostat opening temp (82°C) is on my gauge and where the fully open is (95°C) and that I'm perfectly fine running my engine between those 2, even if they are on the right side of the gauge.

Those gauges can very easily go out of calibration...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom