Builds New 80 In Virginia (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the process of retrofitting the new headlights in my 80 I also decided to finally wire the LEDs in the ARB as daytime running lights.
Initial testing I found they were too bright when wired to an ignition hot fuse..but following another members advise.. using an Add-a Fuse wired them the the 7,5 “Charge” fuse in the engine compartment....started the car and the LEDS were not bright enough....no clue why.
So today I wired them to the turn fuse inside the car but also wired a resistor in-line and they are just about perfect. We had ordered a bunch or resistors to dim the LED DRL’s in the LX470/i100 and it worked perfect in the application

First shot it the Charge fuse

23299D62-82C3-4C2E-B72F-399B3A20CC43.jpeg

71CB2AD0-D49C-4E45-A98E-87C8BF32E8B5.jpeg

93338A17-BA69-42FC-81B8-E836233F301F.jpeg

E5B465B0-F6B5-457B-8694-D78A2240C943.jpeg

Last edited:
Since I painted the shrouds I wasn’t feeling the clear parking and turn signal lights so I smoked them with headlight film

FC7D6BC4-509B-4ADB-A8E8-9702C56335D1.jpeg

5ADE773D-870F-410B-A5D8-24DC9D116F58.jpeg

CA32091E-D737-495A-BA16-99CD6F69656E.jpeg

Last edited:
I've own this 80 for 8 years.... over that period I've had two passengers in the back seat.. but i use the back seat all the time for gear and dogs so I decided tho build a platform. I used wood nutserts and a two metal nutserts which allows me to remove it in ten minutes.

jdWAXQP4TtKjIQ%dDF3YYg.jpg

lfcLgGGRS5emU0bw+WfGaA.jpg

v4k6CRwKTJC5hcS0UkyyqQ.jpg

xsNImsChTfu0zALC7u4f8w.jpg

The plan is to make some sort of metal rail to protect the seats.. that galvanize pipe is not bolted in ..I thought i would use it but I have a better option in the works.

IMG_3657.JPG

Yd9%XgH1SM+JqFwMtRAbGA.jpg

M7eUnJnlTs2YHIsAS5i%tg.jpg

XehzI%esRfyL+45eUF324A.jpg

One month after picking up my 80 I replaced the seat foam and added Shane’s leather seat covers on both front seats and slipped on Tuff Duck Canvas seat covers to protect the new leather. I had seat heaters added when the truck was shipped to Slee a few years later.

I’ve really never liked the comfort level of the stock seat so I’ve been searching for a set of 2013-2018 Lexus GS350 seats for a few years and specifically either the F-Sport or the Luxury package seat which came with 16 way seats giving you seat cushion extenders and adjustable side bolsters ...everything I found ran $600-$1100 per seat and a few had the side airbags had deployed. I also looked into Scheel Mann seats but it appears their prices have jumped since they are now sold through dealers and I just couldn’t wrap my head around $4000 for two seats.
I was poking around on EBay and found a set the 14 way GS350 seats that looked perfect in the pictures and the guy was asking $349.00 for both with local pickup 10 minutes away. I hit the buy it now button and picked them up today. I also picked up the factory heating and cooling switch and just need to figure out the wiring to get everything working and once that’s done my seats in my 80 will be for sale and that leather has never been sat on and if you’re really lucky I may include the rear seat Shane leather still in the box.

D8A84A63-37D7-4E32-9E6A-1FACDBF73AB8.jpeg

5A3EDEA1-F152-4DAB-9D4A-82920A51BE55.jpeg

BFFBDE61-E55B-42E3-A749-C433057B43F1.jpeg

93FAD338-1D85-497E-8009-6F33DB003DBF.jpeg

Last edited:
How will you attach them?

Love the GS seats Lou. Gonna be a huge upgrade for sure.
Please let me know when you are ready to sell the Tuff Duck seat covers...

How will you attach them?
Looking into Planted Seat Brackets.. they make one that fit both passenger a drivers side in the 80

Love the GS seats Lou. Gonna be a huge upgrade for sure.
Please let me know when you are ready to sell the Tuff Duck seat covers...
The covers are not new ... whoever buys the seats may want the Tuff Duck covers but I do have new Tuff Duck covers for the rear seats if you're interested

This is a tasteful solution regarding the paint line transition. Fellow painter here.
Thanks Ben, I wanted the truck to appear all black from the side...
Really late to this thread, so where do I get a license plate lite from? I have a 4x4 Labs rear bumper.
I’ll have to figure that one out.. is was a while ago

Really late to this thread, so where do I get a license plate lite from? I have a 4x4 Labs rear bumper.
Here you go

This eve I installed the Depo HID Projector Head Lights along with the clear corner lights and the turn signals. I can't say enough about the finished product that Jason, aka Chef J sent me.... He promised plug and play and that's what I received....the only thing I had figure out is mounting the ballasts.. I used heavy duty Velcro and zip ties.. After that plugged in .... Holy #hit these lights are so nice.... They are worth every penny and then some. The ability to see well at night is priceless and the high beams are just stupid bright.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD
View attachment 562346View attachment 562347View attachment 562348
Can you please send me Jason’s ( Chef J) contact info on here so I can talk with him about the HID conversion? Your right looks SICK

Can you please send me Jason’s ( Chef J) contact info on here so I can talk with him about the HID conversion? Your right looks SICK
He’s no longer on MUD....the quad set I built..
Feel free to call me .... I got into retrofitting LX470 lights pretty heavily and have built a couple sets of 80 lights
703-371-8494

Lou

Last edited:
I tried texting you on this # with no luck.

I would appreciate any help you can give for the headlight conversion!
My cell is 630.408.2412

-Steve
Steve, looks like I fat fingered my number..it’s 703-371-8494. I you want to discuss details call me...I just left you a VM

Hey Lou. Do you recall how much space there was between the headliner and roof. Looking at a Second Skin melamine sound insulation product but it wants 1/2 inch of space so it isn’t compressed.

Hey Lou. Do you recall how much space there was between the headliner and roof. Looking at a Second Skin melamine sound insulation product but it wants 1/2 inch of space so it isn’t compressed.
I don’t but the roof support crossbars are probably close to 1/2 an inch. If I recall melamine is extremely heavy? and even using the best commercial grade glue... over time I’m thinking it would not stay secure. I could be mistaken on the weight of the product but you should check that out.
The factory insulation that’s on the roof is extremely difficult to get off.. allowing a clean surface to bond anything.
The Dynamat and Dynaliner I used have held up well and help keep the truck cool and quiet

There’s a strong possibility my Land Cruiser may be headed out west which is where it belongs so it’s currently down at Iron Pig Offroad for a few additions and upgrades. I’ve had most of the additions sitting around for a few years and it’s time to get it done.

Rebuild the front axles
ARB Diff Breather Kit
Slee Stainless brake lines
New OEM shift knob
Dual Battery Charger and Shore plug
Huracan Tailgate Storage
2013 GS350 Seats installed on Planted brackets
Undercarriage treatment.. Power washed, spot sand blasting, wire wheel.. rust converter and chassis paint
New OME heavy springs and Nitrocharger shocks
TRD wheels center bore opened for hub clearance (finally)
New Goodyear Duratacs 315/75R 16
New Slee Rear Bumper

367D3F42-4702-4687-8664-DC5B23656C67.jpeg

9C20C0B8-73F1-4947-9876-F747A2B2FC91.jpeg

475B6906-F300-4E4F-8A67-6974C5A2910E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom