Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

congrats @Cgn1976 looks like a nice 55. You'll enjoy working on that. I once bought a cruiser from Costa Rica sight unseen - that was far more stupid than what you just did. Mrs was out of the country with no cell service so I made the decision without her. She was not pleased. I still can't believe I did that in the first place, it took two months before it was able to float over to the states so I could arrange delivery. Somehow I made money on it when I sold two years later. Mrs was coincidentally happy about things in the end, ha ha.

For what it's worth, I also don't consider myself to be much of a mechanic. A few of years ago I paid a mechanic to replace all of the tie rod ends on one of my cruisers. It was pretty costly so I decided to do it myself on my FJ40. It wasn't that hard and I learned something new. Since then I have replaced the suspension on 4 different cruisers, replaced tire rod ends, steering gearbox, fuel sending unit, AC condenser, rebuilt a front end damaged by a deer collison, radiator flushes, fuel pump, coil, dash disassembly and re-assembly, stereo install, and many more projects. Most recently I have disassembled my fj55 body and interior, welded in a new floor pan to repair rust, done body work, repainted, and am about 80% through re-assembly. These are all things I have no experience with. You might find some new skills you enjoy. This forum is super helpful as there are many with lifetimes of skill and expertise that share the obsession with landcruisers.

Congrats!

Yeah, that's what I was reading. Gotta dig in pretty close on those threads and see if the pillar mount or up top like those current fronts are doable for me. Love the pillar mount for the back with the kids, but will probaly have to get some basic welding skills to tack a threaded bracket I fish down there for that to happen.
I'm going from memory here, but I thought there was a shoulder strap mount, installed from the factory, somewhere behind the c-pillar?

I'm going from memory here, but I thought there was a shoulder strap mount, installed from the factory, somewhere behind the c-pillar?

I believe you're correct. It's under the headliner, but you can find it. I have the rear mounts on the 71s which were before they offered the rear shoulder belt.

congrats @Cgn1976 looks like a nice 55. You'll enjoy working on that. I once bought a cruiser from Costa Rica sight unseen - that was far more stupid than what you just did. Mrs was out of the country with no cell service so I made the decision without her. She was not pleased. I still can't believe I did that in the first place, it took two months before it was able to float over to the states so I could arrange delivery. Somehow I made money on it when I sold two years later. Mrs was coincidentally happy about things in the end, ha ha.

For what it's worth, I also don't consider myself to be much of a mechanic. A few of years ago I paid a mechanic to replace all of the tie rod ends on one of my cruisers. It was pretty costly so I decided to do it myself on my FJ40. It wasn't that hard and I learned something new. Since then I have replaced the suspension on 4 different cruisers, replaced tire rod ends, steering gearbox, fuel sending unit, AC condenser, rebuilt a front end damaged by a deer collison, radiator flushes, fuel pump, coil, dash disassembly and re-assembly, stereo install, and many more projects. Most recently I have disassembled my fj55 body and interior, welded in a new floor pan to repair rust, done body work, repainted, and am about 80% through re-assembly. These are all things I have no experience with. You might find some new skills you enjoy. This forum is super helpful as there are many with lifetimes of skill and expertise that share the obsession with landcruisers.
Hah. Greay story. Not losing money was the hard sell to the wife. Not sure she bought it! I hope to not even worry about that side of it and keep it for a LONG time.

I do enjoy working on things myself and hope to gain half the skills you desrcribe! Cant wait to dig in and hit the road.

Thanks for the encouragement and fantastic story. Makes me feel better for sure

Yeah, that's what I was reading. Gotta dig in pretty close on those threads and see if the pillar mount or up top like those current fronts are doable for me. Love the pillar mount for the back with the kids, but will probaly have to get some basic welding skills to tack a threaded bracket I fish down there for that to happen.
@scrapdaddy method 😉! He knows his 💩!!! 😉👍

Not sure what is going on with this seatbelt though?
That was how the early shoulder straps were. It clips into the seat belt buckle if you are so inclined. I used to loop it as you see it around my girlfriends dogs neck and she would lean way out the window like she was flying ( the dog, not my girlfriend)

Yes you you did extremely well. And yes you unclip one end of the shoulder strap off where it’s hanging and it clips into the male side of the seat belt buckle. My 72 had that.

cheers to your new mistress especially since you wife is 9 time glader. :bounce:

So a little follow up here. I finally got the new machine last weekend. She runs great, despite the crappy carb and dizzy. New parts are in process from Mark's to deal with that, but she fires right up and drives great as is. Solid brakes, great steering. After a run, I get a couple of drops of oil off the bottom of the transmission, but really not bad at all. I haven't had the chance to clean it all up and see what the leak situation is, but looks to be pretty minimal. As for rust, there is certainly some underneath but the body panels are all very solid and in general. I'm pretty darn happy with what I have here. Very solid. Cleaned up a few minor things like sticky locks, choke cable, put on some wheel spacers I had, and fixed a few issues with the blinkers. The power steering pump makes the air cleaner situation a little wierd, but Im working on a fix. Love driving this thing and man the looks you get! Haha

Today I had a meet up with abqcruiser, Mark. Of course on the way there, the fan belt broke! I guess this old pig was a little shy! Hah... Mark was nice enough to pick me up, take me for a ride to Napa, and even swap rides for a quick roll around the block after the new belt went on. All I can say, is damn he's got one hell of truck and now I have some inspiration...and a new new buddy to call on for help!

20200907_125120.jpg

So a little follow up here. I finally got the new machine last weekend. She runs great, despite the crappy carb and dizzy. New parts are in process from Mark's to deal with that, but she fires right up and drives great as is. Solid brakes, great steering. After a run, I get a couple of drops of oil off the bottom of the transmission, but really not bad at all. I haven't had the chance to clean it all up and see what the leak situation is, but looks to be pretty minimal. As for rust, there is certainly some underneath but the body panels are all very solid and in general. I'm pretty darn happy with what I have here. Very solid. Cleaned up a few minor things like sticky locks, choke cable, put on some wheel spacers I had, and fixed a few issues with the blinkers. The power steering pump makes the air cleaner situation a little wierd, but Im working on a fix. Love driving this thing and man the looks you get! Haha

Today I had a meet up with abqcruiser, Mark. Of course on the way there, the fan belt broke! I guess this old pig was a little shy! Hah... Mark was nice enough to pick me up, take me for a ride to Napa, and even swap rides for a quick roll around the block after the new belt went on. All I can say, is damn he's got one hell of truck and now I have some inspiration...and a new new buddy to call on for help!

View attachment 2429264
It was great meeting you Cody! You've ended up with a solid pig! Count yourself as one of the lucky few who buys a pig sight unseen and ends up with a winner. You might want to run out and buy a lottery ticket while luck is still on your side.
I walked around and checked all the usual rust prone areas and couldn't find any bondo laden parts. Even the rockers were solid. It would be cool to learn more history on this pig, but It sure seems it spent a good part of it's life as a garage queen.
It's even more fortunate that it is now in the southwest and our dry high desert climate.
I even had the pleasure of driving this totally stock pig. What a ride! I didn't have that luxury when I bought mine. The closet comparison is the old 40 we have, but the ride quality is no where near this pig's.
I'm looking forward to your progress. Let me know if I can help in any way. :beer: :beer:

It was great meeting you Cody! You've ended up with a solid pig! Count yourself as one of the lucky few who buys a pig sight unseen and ends up with a winner. You might want to run out and buy a lottery ticket while luck is still on your side.
I walked around and checked all the usual rust prone areas and couldn't find any bondo laden parts. Even the rockers were solid. It would be cool to learn more history on this pig, but It sure seems it spent a good part of it's life as a garage queen.
It's even more fortunate that it is now in the southwest and our dry high desert climate.
I even had the pleasure of driving this totally stock pig. What a ride! I didn't have that luxury when I bought mine. The closet comparison is the old 40 we have, but the ride quality is no where near this pig's.
I'm looking forward to your progress. Let me know if I can help in any way. :beer: :beer:
Great to meet you as well. Glad to hear the solid review of the truck from someone who knows a thing a or two! Sitting on those bigger tires and lift in yours has me longing for the Christmas season to come early!

I should have the rebuilt carb and new pertonix loaded dizzy in the coming weeks from Mark's Offroad and will probably get over my skis installing those! I'll post with updates.

Just catching up. I'd say you did very well after reading abqcruiser's analysis. You're in great hands with Mark.
Krylon Smoke Grey is the ticket for repainting the wheels...can't tell the difference from stock.
Go Sun Devils...I graduated before you were born. My niece and son are also ASU grads. Son is in ABQ so maybe we can get together sometime when we're visiting.

So I accidentally discovered I have an overcharging problem today. I was installing a little stereo system with a small 2 channel alpine amp, 1 set of speakers and a bluetooth only volume nob (no head unit) and found the amp was kicking into protection mode only when I started the truck. Went to the battery and sure enough I'm seeing 18 volts at the battery terminals when running, and 14ish when shut off. Opened up the voltage regualtor and it looks pretty darn clean in there, but I ordered a new one anyway becasue it was so cheap. I have the 6 wire unit with the light wire. Anway, I suspect that's the issue becasue I know the alternator is making juice! I guess I'll know in a few days when the part shows up. So much for a weekend cruise with the cooler weather!

QUICK UPDATE - figured I have the new part coming, so I opened the volt. reg. back up and forced the points to trip to see what it did. It tirggered so it seemd to be working. I adjusted the points out a bit and no change. I adjusted them in and what do you know. My voltage stabalized at about 12.5 at the battery regardless of rpm. Think I have fixed it, but will have to run it longer later to make sure.

Last edited:
Well, I spoke too soon. Went for a ride with a meter hooked up to monitor voltage. No blinkers. And it's a bad fuse, same as the regulator. New fuse, overcharging again. Thought that seemed too easy! And the wait continues again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom