Need to cut out sheetrock in the window wells for new windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
What is the recommended tool to cut the sheetrock on all four sides of a window well? I'd like this tool to be connected to a shop vac in order to minimize dust inside the living space. Looks like i need to cut about 2" of sheetrock in order to fit the new windows inside the holes.

Thanks.

Rotozip with a vacuum adapter

Score the outline of the opening with a razor blade first, then cut an "x" from corner to corner with a drywall saw.

saw.png

You can then push each "triangle" back in to snap the drywall and cut the remaining paper (on the inside of the wall) with a razor blade. Doing this saves on all the dust. The hand saw creates dust, but it much more manageable than a power tool. The hand saw makes a rough cut, but it will be on the inside of the cut and the outside perimeter (done with the razor blades) will be smooth and crisp.

If the window will be larger than the space between studs, do this for an opening in each stud space and then cut out the strip of drywall over each stud once you have an opening on either side.

Score the outline of the opening with a razor blade first, then cut an "x" from corner to corner with a drywall saw.

View attachment 2468643

You can then push each "triangle" back in to snap the drywall and cut the remaining paper (on the inside of the wall) with a razor blade. Doing this saves on all the dust. The hand saw creates dust, but it much more manageable than a power tool. The hand saw makes a rough cut, but it will be on the inside of the cut and the outside perimeter (done with the razor blades) will be smooth and crisp.

If the window will be larger than the space between studs, do this for an opening in each stud space and then cut out the strip of drywall over each stud once you have an opening on either side.

He's only trimming 2" off an existing opening. Going to be tough to make an X.

View attachment 2468643

Thanks for the input, makes sense except for one thing that I can't seem to wrap my mind around. Aren't most window wells frames by 2x4 or 2x4 studs? If that's the case, would you still be able to use a sheetrock knife to score? :hmm:

He's only trimming 2" off an existing opening. Going to be tough to make an X.

Sorry. Thought this was for new openings. Didn't catch that it was enlarging existing openings.

If only there was a way that we could see what you were trying to do... then the advice would be more better.

My vote is the Rotozip.

I apologize for the lack of pics, here's a sample window. My first batch of windows is due to arrive today and funny enough, the temp outside right now is 6º :bang: . Got home last night from Moab and didn't get all chores done to accomodate the dip in the temps. Gotta put up plastics on the windows today as they're drafty.

I apologize for the lack of pics, here's a sample window. My first batch of windows is due to arrive today and funny enough, the temp outside right now is 6º :bang: . Got home last night from Moab and didn't get all chores done to accomodate the dip in the temps. Gotta put up plastics on the windows today as they're drafty.

20201026_063803.jpg

So, are you saying you are removing the drywall returns and going with extension jambs on the new windows? Are you replacing the sills (stools & skirts) too? I gather that you are not changing the RO, just fitting in a new window.

Seems like your best option to reduce the dust mess is to use a utility knife to score the rock, then carefully bust out the parts you don't need.

If you're increasing the RO by 2"...did you not have your cappuccino when you wrote that Ali 😂...you're going to need to cut more than drywall.

If you're increasing the RO by 2"...did you not have your cappuccino when you wrote that Ali 😂...you're going to need to cut more than drywall.

2" might be an overestimate but I meant to say that i need to cut INTO the window well by 2", so just remove the sheetrock.

View attachment 2468643

I was going to recommend a drywall saw. I use them often to cut out outlets for Keystone jacks

So what you do is you just move the blade up a couple inches where you think the opening of the window is and start cutting at an angle. Look through the hole see where the when do play tis and then start cutting at an angle. It shouldn't be too hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom