Need help identifying split transfer case year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I've been searching all over the forum and online, trying in vain to determine exactly what transfer case I have in my fj40. I live in Indonesia (US citizen doing community development there), so I have had trouble finding serial numbers that seem to match up with other methods on the forums here for determining what year the transfercase / transmission was manufactured. I have measured the idler shaft - it's 34mm. According to the information on cruiser outfitter's website, I see that there are supposedly 3 different variants...80-82, 82-83, and 84-86:

8/80' - 10/82' - 34mm idler shaft, unique input gear. No oiler cup provisions. No spacer bolt hole.
10/82' - ~83' - Same as earlier case, with updated input gear. Introduction of oiler cup provision at this time. Middle bolt hole not present.
~83' - 4/86' - 34mm idler shaft. Has oiler provisions. Has spacer bolt hole.

As I look at the case, I'm not sure exactly what these differences are, and how significant they are. I know they don't affect seal sizes or bearing sizes.

Unfortunatly, I am currently in the states, so I won't have access to the case for about another 6 months or so...just the pictures I took before I left. I basically am trying to source the parts I need to take back to fix it. One of the thrust bushings that rides on the idler shaft in-between the idler gear and the housing disentigrated, causing the gear to eat into the housing and now there's a ton of slop that can only be addressed through makeshift shims...I'd like to try to purchase good replacement case to take back with me.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

20141112_101139.jpg

20141112_101147.jpg

20141112_101152.jpg

20141112_101204.jpg

IMG-20180315-WA0003.jpg

That’s a mid 1985-1987 4 speed so the case is likely the same vintage.

The 5th gear oiler provision is internal and can’t be seen from the outside with it attached to the transmission. It won’t matter if it’s there or not since you have a 4 speed.

The idler shaft can be measured from the outside to confirm whether it’s a 34 or 38mm case. This also doesn’t matter unless you’re convinced you need the added strength of the 38mm idler shift.

The T case should have a date code/serial number. Will be in one of two places. On the back of case by the cover for the PTO on the left side. Or on top where it bolts to transmission. Seen replacement transfer cases that will have just a number. Date/serial is usually a number, than a letter followed by four numbers.

That’s a mid 1985-1987 4 speed so the case is likely the same vintage.

The 5th gear oiler provision is internal and can’t be seen from the outside with it attached to the transmission. It won’t matter if it’s there or not since you have a 4 speed.

The idler shaft can be measured from the outside to confirm whether it’s a 34 or 38mm case. This also doesn’t matter unless you’re convinced you need the added strength of the 38mm idler shift.
As I mentioned above, the idler is 34mm. My main worry is that if I simply get a case that fits the idler, I won't be able to get the internals to fit properly when I switch everything over to the replacement case.

The transmission is just a 4 speed. Here are some internal shots:

20180315_172437.jpg

20180315_172447.jpg

I figured you meant that you were looking to buy an entire replacement transfer case and not just the external “case”. I would be wary of using the gears from a transfer case that had its gears not aligned properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom