Transfer Case - Idler Shaft (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And before the internet we all had to invent our own version once we figured out where our gear oil was going. I'd just give it a couple of pumps every so often. This was about 1995 on my first 45. This photo showed up years later when posted by it's current owner. I was using the truck as my work vehicle, not off-road at the time.
90w pumper.jpg

Sure looks purdier than mine in the photo above it. Gives me something to strive for as I just got my box of T-case parts from Cruiser Outfitters this afternoon.

Case hardening I think will help save the shaft and the roller bearings on the inside of the idler gears. In fact on the J30, 3 speed, cluster gear shaft, where the gear rides on 96 individual rollers, shaft wear is a big issue. I never thought of additional hardening….or nitriding. Cool Beans I say!!!!!

If the above holds true - that a hardened shaft would improve the life of the shaft and roller bearings - then you've made a great improvement to these cases! The question is "if".

My limited experience is that something has to wear. There's always a weak link in the chain. Improvements can just relocate that weak link. Maybe an improved bearing will be needed as well? I think the later split cases offer a larger diameter shaft to help remedy the issue of idler shaft wear and case wallowing. With your higher HP engine choices, have you had any issues with the hole in the case where the shaft sits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom