Help on Identifying Which Spindle Needed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a franken FJ40 and I am wondering what I can use to identify which year of Steering Knuckle Spindle I need to order. While my ride is listed as a 74, it has a lot of 75 parts and other year parts from what other owners have told me....

Is there a measurement or something else I can utilize to figure out if I should order the one for 58-75 model year one, or the 75-90 one?

I need to replace the axle seals, and when I took it apart for wheel bearings last year the threads were hosed by a previous owner and I figured I would get a new one to start fresh during the process.

Danke..

If it helps you at all, mine is taken apart for a knuckle job. Just waiting for paint to dry.

I can take measurements of mine (April of ‘80) and you can compare? May help you deduce.

If it helps you at all, mine is taken apart for a knuckle job. Just waiting for paint to dry.

I can take measurements of mine (April of ‘80) and you can compare? May help you deduce.
That would be great! Much appreciated!

That would be great! Much appreciated!
IMG_0929.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg

Is it a drum brake or disc frt end. 76 was the 1st yr for disc's. Do the dates you ref include a month. 75 to 90 ref a month, like 9/75?

Also, spindle length had a few years off a longer set up, I believe the year range you posted was for drum vs. disc spindles but beware of the long spindle, what I am trying to say is that a year range of 75 to 90 for spindles doesnt make sense, there should be an odd gap like 76 - 79 when the longer set up was used. It does make sense for drum vs disc knuckles.

KISS. If it’s held on with 8mm bolts, it’s a drum spindle. Disc uses 10mm.

www.marksoffroad.net

If it turns out that you need one, I can help.😉
1708696739975.jpeg
1708696739975.jpeg

View attachment 3564781
I'll be in touch! I have to finish this 383 up and get it in, then tackle the spindle!
Oh. When you do that, take note of how close the harmonic balancer is to the front differential. Too many people don’t plan for that and get a rude awakening on their first whoop!😱

Oh. When you do that, take note of how close the harmonic balancer is to the front differential. Too many people don’t plan for that and get a rude awakening on their first whoop!😱
I will.
It actually had the motor in it when I bought it, and I was fighting overheating issues constantly. Put in new fan, shroud, all kinds of work. Decided to pull the motor and take a look at inside (it was burning oil and rear main was leaking anyways), and found the the back passages for cooling the heads were rusted shut!
So, decided to upgrade it with a trusted builder that built my LS7 after it dropped a valve.

This build has a smaller harmonic balancer on it, but I do have to do real motor mounts as this was hacked in before. Long story short, I appreciate the guidance for looking at that as I set the motor mounts up.

I will.
It actually had the motor in it when I bought it, and I was fighting overheating issues constantly. Put in new fan, shroud, all kinds of work. Decided to pull the motor and take a look at inside (it was burning oil and rear main was leaking anyways), and found the the back passages for cooling the heads were rusted shut!
So, decided to upgrade it with a trusted builder that built my LS7 after it dropped a valve.

This build has a smaller harmonic balancer on it, but I do have to do real motor mounts as this was hacked in before. Long story short, I appreciate the guidance for looking at that as I set the motor mounts up.
I don’t know how active @Downey is on the forum these days, but for a while there he was offering to send people an old instruction sheet he had on installing V8s. I did a few at the shop here, each time floating the powertrain between the frame and under the tub to check all the clearances. Time and time again I came within 1/8” of his suggested placement.

IOW, if you’re going to revisit the placement, you should check his instruction sheet out. For all I know, there may be an online pdf already. I’m not very net savvy.

I don’t know how active @Downey is on the forum these days, but for a while there he was offering to send people an old instruction sheet he had on installing V8s. I did a few at the shop here, each time floating the powertrain between the frame and under the tub to check all the clearances. Time and time again I came within 1/8” of his suggested placement.

IOW, if you’re going to revisit the placement, you should check his instruction sheet out. For all I know, there may be an online pdf already. I’m not very net savvy.
Thanks!

The V8 installation instruction manual is here on Mud in the Downey Off Road link, OR I can send a freebie manual to you directly, need a snail mail address to do so- - -cheers.

Mark, maybe you can explain better the long birf/spindle use for a few years, I dont remember what years or applications had those.

You need to watch the HB and diff clearance, along with the pinion and driveshaft, especially if your running a y pipe or some sort of crossover exhaust from the pass side to the drivers side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom