Need a jump 2-3 times a week! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should replace all of your 1 gauge wire. That stuff looks pretty corroded. There is a member here who sells a kit. I’ll try and dig it up and post. I’d also swap that fusible link. At a glance it appears to be burnt up inside.

The battery cables (at least one of them) looks like it was made from welding cable. While welding cable is great for flexibility and carrying lots of current, it doesn't make great battery cables. They problem is that the unprotected copper corrodes. Additionally, it tends to wick water into the cable and so I've even seen that green and black corrosion way down the cable beneath the insulation.

What you want to use is marine battery cable. This is similar to welding cable as it is made up of lots and lots of strands for current carrying ability and flexibility. However, the stands are coated in tin for corrosion prevention. They also have insulation which is better suited for harsh environments.

Just installed a new alternator in my 60 and swapped pulleys this morning. I had to order a thin wall 24mm socket to get the pulley off the new alternator. Thankfully my old pulley slid on perfectly and locked in place nicely. Also belt alignment is good. Now I’m getting a solid 14.3v (meter) at idle and turning on headlights doesn’t cause much difference in the dash needle. I run both the stock white wire to my alt as well as a heavy welding cable from bat to alt. @Cruzerman pointed out the marine cable a while ago and I’ll get some for the future. Right now I just have a bunch of welding cable and it’s doing fine for now.

7D3752AD-3B73-44CA-A65E-D38B383A778D.jpeg

There is a member here who sells a kit.

I got mine from member @Fourrunner. Great setup and absolutely transformed my truck. Night and day difference on starting power. Alleviated a lot of my little electrical issues. Great guy. He made mine custom to include some cable to tie in an extra fuse panel in my setup.

IMG_4383.JPG

Link for the cables is here:

I noticed too that @ToyotaMatt started offering a set as well on his site I think if you want a factory setup. I would agree with the others after seeing pictures of your setup, a set of battery cables would prolly hook you up. Couldn't hurt. HTH.

Just installed a new alternator in my 60 and swapped pulleys this morning. I had to order a thin wall 24mm socket to get the pulley off the new alternator. Thankfully my old pulley slid on perfectly and locked in place nicely. Also belt alignment is good. Now I’m getting a solid 14.3v (meter) at idle and turning on headlights doesn’t cause much difference in the dash needle. I run both the stock white wire to my alt as well as a heavy welding cable from bat to alt. @Cruzerman pointed out the marine cable a while ago and I’ll get some for the future. Right now I just have a bunch of welding cable and it’s doing fine for now.

View attachment 2260092
I got mine from member @Fourrunner. Great setup and absolutely transformed my truck. Night and day difference on starting power. Alleviated a lot of my little electrical issues. Great guy. He made mine custom to include some cable to tie in an extra fuse panel in my setup.

View attachment 2260118

I noticed too that @ToyotaMatt started offering a set as well on his site I think if you want a factory setup. I would agree with the others after seeing pictures of your setup, a set of battery cables would prolly hook you up. Couldn't hurt. HTH.

i recently started Offering the OEM TOYOYA Land CRUISER factory

Alternator Pullys , that are meant for the wide mouth Cogged Belts as u mention above

I source in JAPAN Direct from NipponDenso , Factory commercial accounts

Please review them , here at this link :

i have sold over 10+ so far , and they ARE 100 % factory Correct in every way

also, I now Offer a NEW Silver Zinc Plated Pulley Nut OEM toyota parts as well

i have seen too many crap rebuilders that install the thinner toyota car pulleys

that made me mad .....

so i did something about for the greater good if the 40 and 60 and 55 series folks everywhere in our community !

This is my Preaious NOS ....

She gets all the phun mock ups And latest bling too

But take note the pulley width i show

This is propper oem COG belt size

the new pulley nut I get from DENSo too

rocks !

139AAD41-9D9F-4F4A-A841-E785E0FAF4D2.jpeg
B5916259-B4A3-4CE1-ADE1-90E5680632ED.jpeg
2B460EC2-4883-477D-83B2-1DC3B8BBAF7B.jpeg
A458A8B3-1470-46F4-A114-C0B7C6A2790F.jpeg

@ToyotaMatt

Is the Pulley Nut on your website yet? I don't see it...

View attachment 2260118

Yes, that’s the vendor. Now I have the hydraulic crimp tool to make my own.

I also just recently added a Blue Sea bus as well.

I think I saw that pic on IG. Do you have enough room to access the jacks on the left side of the bus?

D1704E7F-084D-4412-8EB6-FA57F059977F.jpeg

Do you have enough room to access the jacks on the left side of the bus?

Its a little tight but yes I have room. I most likely will never use up the terminals on the right side anyway. 6 per side and I have only used two. I might add 12V lead for my 7-way trailer connector but other than that I won't need anything else for this particular truck. My placement gets the box up higher than the fender which seemed prudent to me to help avoid chance encounters with water.

@ToyotaMatt

not yet

it will be within the hour , TOYOTA was dragging there feet on this Saturday of Quarantine !

CHOP

CHOP

you You Dealer parts People , there Vintage Toyota's in need of these Nuts !

😁

So I'm having starting issues again...as noted previously, I took the Cruiser into NTB (National Tire & Battery) on Friday morning. My brother had owned this Cruiser briefly and got the alternator, battery and tires installed there, so being that they're under warranty with NTB I took it to them to check it all out. Turns out that the alternator is fine (not sure if it's as awesome and/or OEM quality like some of y'alls) and it turns out the battery is fine.

It didn't start last night. I did nothing. I started it okay this morning. It wouldn't start at lunch, got it jumped and it was fine. It wouldn't start when I got off work, got it jumped and it was fine. When I got home, I did a small experiment. I killed the engine. I started it back up fine. I killed it again. I turned the kill switch to the off position. I turned it to the on position. I tried to start the Cruiser again and nothing...so my hypothesis is that whatever it is, it has something to do with wiring. Either there's something connected to the kill switch that's bad, or the cables to the battery are bad, or the kill switch is bad, or the starter is bad or something. I've never owned an older vehicle so I'm not sure what to look for...and so I depend on y'all!! I would in essence love to change out every damn wire that's in that vehicle but I'm not sure where to start and I don't want to pay someone an ungodly amount of labor hours to only diagnose and fix 1 or 2 things. I do know that the vehicle was originally purchased in Pennsylvania, so I'm sure there were salty roads in its past. Where do I start? What can I do at home myself and what do I need a mechanic to do?

Guys, y'all are absolutely amazing. I would not be able to do this without you. I love my Cruiser but I'm a little frustrated with her right now. Thanks!!

Getting a jump start is not actually doing anything, so quit wasting your time with that. You said it yourself, your battery is fine. You have a bad connection.
Do your dash and headLIghts work consistently, and your issue is just with the starter not cranking, or do you get no power at all?
Get a multimeter and learn how to use it. Be resourceful.

It's not uncommon for the Electrical switch behind the Ignition Key Switch to wear out and be confused with Starter or other electrical issues.

If that switch is original, there's prolly a million cycles on it and the contacts wear. The contact is what directs voltage to the Starter solenoid.

I've found this switch to be the cause when there's intermittent no-start and everything else checks good.

what do your battery terminals look like? Almost every Cruiser that comes in my shop with a "charging issue" ends up being a loose/corroded/poor connection from 30-40 years of people futzing with them

Have these been addressed on your truck as @cruisermatt suggested? Your issue should be either the battery cables, the lock switch, the starter, or internal wiring. You gotta find out which. Since you suspect the PO put some sort of anti-theft switch in here, you could firstly try and see if you get voltage on the starter solenoid trigger wire. Easiest way IMO would be to get a remote starter switch and hook it up to the starter solenoid. This would bypass the lock switch which as @Spike Strip mentions can go bad after so many years in service and test the solenoid, battery cables, and starters ability to turn the truck over. You might wait until it won't start with the key and try this right away. If it works then you can put a multi-meter on the trigger wire and trace back why its not getting voltage. Prolly something to do with that crazy switch thing. Could be as simple as the trigger wire being corroded or not on the solenoid terminal properly. Need to get a multi-meter on there to test it.

Having said all that, I would again suggest just replacing the battery cables now. Won't hurt. @ToyotaMatt can hook you up here. HTH.

Getting a jump start is not actually doing anything, so quit wasting your time with that. You said it yourself, your battery is fine. You have a bad connection.
Do your dash and headLIghts work consistently, and your issue is just with the starter not cranking, or do you get no power at all?
Get a multimeter and learn how to use it. Be resourceful.
All lights work consistently, and I get the ding coming on indicating I have power. Every time it won't start, the battery indicator is sitting a little past 12, but there is no battery light on...just the check engine light.

I really don't wanna mess anything up but I do want to fix all of this so that I can confidently take my FJ62 camping, off-roading and hunting without worrying about getting stuck in the middle of the woods. I also want the vehicle to be prepared for the winch I'm about to get 4WheelParts to install into an ARB bumper AND I'll eventually do onboard air with an ARB locker in the back to start (maybe eventually in the front too). This is a HIGHLY capable vehicle already but I want it to be the "Beast" my dad has dubbed it. I know she has so much potential but it's imperative that I get all current electrical issues addressed and maybe even get some preventative measures into place.

Have these been addressed on your truck as @cruisermatt suggested? Your issue should be either the battery cables, the lock switch, the starter, or internal wiring. You gotta find out which. Since you suspect the PO put some sort of anti-theft switch in here, you could firstly try and see if you get voltage on the starter solenoid trigger wire. Easiest way IMO would be to get a remote starter switch and hook it up to the starter solenoid. This would bypass the lock switch which as @Spike Strip mentions can go bad after so many years in service and test the solenoid, battery cables, and starters ability to turn the truck over. You might wait until it won't start with the key and try this right away. If it works then you can put a multi-meter on the trigger wire and trace back why its not getting voltage. Prolly something to do with that crazy switch thing. Could be as simple as the trigger wire being corroded or not on the solenoid terminal properly. Need to get a multi-meter on there to test it.

Having said all that, I would again suggest just replacing the battery cables now. Won't hurt. @ToyotaMatt can hook you up here. HTH.
Yeah, sorry I forgot to address this! NTB wasn't very helpful but they did replace my positive (red) terminal. It was shot. I think that changing the cables would be a wonderful move...should I go with some snazzy marine grade ones like suggested and/or is that what @ToyotaMatt has to offer?

@ToyotaMatt

Both the NOS Alternator Pulleys Them selves

and

The stand alone New Updated Pulley Flange style Hex Retainer Nut Have been

added to the store and have good stock on both at the moment ........

NOTE : i was able to Source made in JAPAN OEM TOYOTA Pulley nuts ............

anything else would simply be uncivilized ............ 😇

Yeah, sorry I forgot to address this! NTB wasn't very helpful but they did replace my positive (red) terminal. It was shot. I think that changing the cables would be a wonderful move...should I go with some snazzy marine grade ones like suggested and/or is that what @ToyotaMatt has to offer?

Snazzy ANCOR Marine Tinned Solid Copper Super Fine Strand Cable,

Simply meshes in
Harmony with 2005 TOYOTA Land Cruiser Genuine OEM

Battery Cable Related Direct Contact Parts like none other .

To
Faithfully Reproduce The 8/80 - 1987 FJ60 OEM original Battery Cables

Design , Routing and General Period correct appearance in every way

possible Using Modern , Updated , and Upgraded Late Model Land Cruiser

Parts in a way the will Provide and Serve the 60 Series owner / operators

as intended and expected .......

:)

1586295938004.png

index951 - Copy.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back