Battery Dying Fun Times FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been having this battery drain which I originally thought was because of an old battery. After replacing that with a new one I realized I was only getting 13.3v at the battery when charging, so I replaced with a new Alternator. I now get 14v at the battery and about 14.4 direct from the alternator. Problem is now if the truck sits for 3 or so days the battery is dead. Like wont even click the solenoid. So I tried to measure the draw on the battery. Disconnected the negative terminal and put a mutimeter in line between negative terminal and negative post. Set the multimeter to DCA and only get a reading on 200u of .2. Which is a super low draw I would think. So what is killing the battery?

Any aftermarket electricals like alarm ,radio etc.? Alarms are notorious for drains.

. 2 amps (200 mA) is still higher than it should be, I would start pulling fuses until the drain goes away so you'll know at least what circuit it's on. Should only be about 20-30 mA, just for the clock and the engine ECU.

GF's battery in her CRV would die if we didn't drive it every day, and I only measured a .5 A parasitic draw. Turns out it was an aftermarket remote start causing the drain, yanked it out and now it's fine.

What other aftermarket electrical devices are installed?

Last edited:
So is 200u micro or milli amps? I read the 200u was microamps which I thought was super low. If it is milliamps then I can start pulling fuses. I am guessing the dome light or radio.

Also remember — whenever the battery is disconnected, the ECU has to learn your driving habits again and it takes time.
Never disconnect the battery if you’ve got a smog test coming up. Usually that will cause an instant fail.
The FJ62 is notorious for parasitic battery drain from the ECU, but killing the battery in a few days is excessive. Not right

Ya it was dead it 72 hours. In the past I have let it sit 2 weeks and it will still (barely) crank.

Well I went back out and now I am getting no draw when before I was getting .1-.2. I dont like troubleshooting electricity.

Ok so I figured out it pulls 550 milliamps key off. If I pull the Dome light fuse it drops to 450 milliamps. Nothing else affects it except this connection (see attached photo. Once I disconnect this wire it drops to zero. So next question what does this wire do? BTW mine looks super suspect. About 8 inches up on the harness side 2 wires tie into one that then ties into this connection. Looks like previous owner did some interesting work.

IMG_5016.jpeg

So it appears that is the alternator connection. And being that I just put in the new alternator, what are the chances the alternator charges my battery but then drains it when sitting?

The DOME fuse also keeps the clock running (IIRC).

There could be a leak in the voltage regulator of the alternator.

Watching.
I also have a parasitic draw and I’d just assume you figure it out for me😉.

So it appears that is the alternator connection. And being that I just put in the new alternator, what are the chances the alternator charges my battery but then drains it when sitting?
Fairly high if its not a Toyota part. Anything from a LAPS is suspect. Sometimes diodes leak.

This was actually a Toyota reman part. But who did Toyota farm the reman out to? No idea. Anyways I have to take it to my local dealer to get a warranty replacement.

I am still not sure I understand all the physics of it. Basically it is pushing DC to the battery when running but when it is off the diode causes a closed loop with the battery that self drains? Not sure I get it but whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom