Need a jump 2-3 times a week! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anywhere I could get aftermarket flaps? Like something WAY more substantial that what came stock? I feel like the American market got these vehicles as highway cruisin kid carriers and, while that's nice and all, they didn't factor in what would happen 20-30 years later when people wanted to use these vehicles not only as daily drivers but also as off-road beasts, like they were intended and built for foreign markets.

Not necessary or of any additional benefit. SOR used to carry replacement flaps if you're missing them.

It seems to be a distributor cap vent hole, seems a bit important to connect with vacuum somewhere, but not all caps have them so plugging it for now seems fine (?)

below link has another link with picture:
Yeah, I'm not sure I want to plug it...mainly because any moisture that's in there now will only cause more damage plus any moisture that seeps in later will be impossible to notice and will likely corrode the internal electrics. I'm gonna get some 1/4" tubing (that resists high temperatures) for the top vent. I'll reroute said tubing to somewhere in the engine bay that rarely sees water. As for the bottom drain holes, I'd like to have a cover that prevents direct shots of water from entering the distributor but that will also let it drain. I'll see what my gasket looks like between the cap and the distributor and I'll replace that if need be. I'll also likely put Vaseline around the inside lip of the cap and I'll keep a couple cans of WD40 on hand at all times.

"Nancy" is a daily driver in Louisiana (we have lots and lots of rain and we have crappy drainage so there's always lots of standing water). Since I go 0-60mph in about 4 hours, I'm usually in the right lane where the water collects. I don't want my engine to ever stall again, so I'm willing to do what I need to to make sure she's on and off road worthy. As for off road purposes, I do go hunting and camping a couple times a year. The place I go to has streams that need to be crossed. I can't afford for her to break down in the middle of BFE.

If you look through the FAQ (frequently asked questions), you'll find this thread. It may or may not have other threads that cover questions you have.
As for the seals:

I believe if the cap is t vented there is a risk of the cap exploding. I forget the why part of that but of info. I remember seeing some threads on it.

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to plug it...mainly because any moisture that's in there now will only cause more damage plus any moisture that seeps in later will be impossible to notice and will likely corrode the internal electrics. I'm gonna get some 1/4" tubing (that resists high temperatures) for the top vent. I'll reroute said tubing to somewhere in the engine bay that rarely sees water. As for the bottom drain holes, I'd like to have a cover that prevents direct shots of water from entering the distributor but that will also let it drain. I'll see what my gasket looks like between the cap and the distributor and I'll replace that if need be. I'll also likely put Vaseline around the inside lip of the cap and I'll keep a couple cans of WD40 on hand at all times.

"Nancy" is a daily driver in Louisiana (we have lots and lots of rain and we have crappy drainage so there's always lots of standing water). Since I go 0-60mph in about 4 hours, I'm usually in the right lane where the water collects. I don't want my engine to ever stall again, so I'm willing to do what I need to to make sure she's on and off road worthy. As for off road purposes, I do go hunting and camping a couple times a year. The place I go to has streams that need to be crossed. I can't afford for her to break down in the middle of BFE.

May want to have a look at the attached guide.

I just did this myself on mine. Following this desmog guide this is where I ended up with the vent on the dizzy:

IMG_5510.jpg

PO vented mine into the vacuum advancer pot, which didn't work. So I corrected it for him. HTH.

Edit: So I have seen two ways to arrange this VCV. I got a desmog diagram from another member which shows things the way I have them. This arrangement comes straight from a Toyota emissions guide I am told. But I have also seen this arranged like so:

New_VCV_1024x1024[1].jpg

This is with the T'ed side port going down to the dizzy vent. The photo above is the arrangement in the desmog guide I attached. I am not sure which is correct. My first arrangement seems to be working for me, but your mileage may vary and I am not sure how big a deal this is on an FJ62, so may not matter. Wanted to add this in the spirit of being thorough. HTH.

Attachments

• How to Desmog an FJ60-2.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Anywhere I could get aftermarket flaps? Like something WAY more substantial than what came stock? I feel like the American market got these vehicles as highway cruisin kid carriers and, while that's nice and all, they didn't factor in what would happen 20-30 years later when people wanted to use these vehicles not only as daily drivers but also as off-road beasts, like they were intended and built for for foreign markets.
I just cut it from used rubber car mat. Just as long as it is covered :)

Most probably don't remember that , when new, the distributor came with a heavy-duty rubber cover to prevent water ingress. Took mine off the first time I serviced the dizzy and never put it back on. Still have it....looks new.

1591645181083.png

Most probably don't remember that , when new, the distributor came with a heavy-duty rubber cover to prevent water ingress. Took mine off the first time I serviced the dizzy and never put it back on. Still have it....looks new.

View attachment 2333548

Nice. Thanks for this. I had heard there was a 'cover' of sorts but have never seen one in person or had any idea what it looked like.

May want to have a look at the attached guide.

I just did this myself on mine. Following this desmog guide this is where I ended up with the vent on the dizzy:

View attachment 2332965

PO vented mine into the vacuum advancer pot, which didn't work. So I corrected it for him. HTH.

Edit: So I have seen two ways to arrange this VCV. I got a desmog diagram from another member which shows things the way I have them. This arrangement comes straight from a Toyota emissions guide I am told. But I have also seen this arranged like so:

View attachment 2333150

This is with the T'ed side port going down to the dizzy vent. The photo above is the arrangement in the desmog guide I attached. I am not sure which is correct. My first arrangement seems to be working for me, but your mileage may vary and I am not sure how big a deal this is on an FJ62, so may not matter. Wanted to add this in the spirit of being thorough. HTH.

So looked at this again tonight and came across a recent post that shows I had mine wrong. I think the second picture is actually correct. So I switched mine to look like the second photo. See post here:

HTH.

So looked at this again tonight and came across a recent post that shows I had mine wrong. I think the second picture is actually correct. So I switched mine to look like the second photo. See post here:

HTH.
Just read the whole thing. Thank you!

So now my starts are very long-winded. This has recently occurred after I had the stall in the big puddle of water. The new starter is great and it starts Nancy every time....but it takes several seconds of holding the key down in the start position to do so. It does end up starting with a small hiccup. Thoughts?

I have 1/4” vacuum tubing running from the top vent of the distributor cap to the firewall entrance where my kill switch used to be. I plan to go camping/off-roading once the weather cools down and I don’t want Nancy to stall out again in a creek 100mi away from civilization.

For me, that was always a ground problem on the coil/ignitor pack. Clean bolt attachments, and run a seperate wire from the ingnitor case to the wheelwell.

should solve your probs.

For me, that was always a ground problem on the coil/ignitor pack. Clean bolt attachments, and run a seperate wire from the ingnitor case to the wheelwell.

should solve your probs.
That sounds good! Yeah I checked those connections and all was well. I’m starting now, which is great, but it’s a very long winded start. Nancy is currently in the shop getting a full tuneup. I ordered a new air filter, fuel filter, distributor cap, ignition rotor and seal for where the drive shaft meets the rear diff. She’s getting an oil change as well. Hopefully I’ll have something new to report soon. I have to get her working confidently, as my 16 Colorado is for sale and there are a couple highly interested buyers. Fingers (and toes) crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom