Double pulley for alternator (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My alternator is mounted directly above the compressor for my after market a/c system. Can I just drop a belt directly down to drive the compressor? Belt tensioner needed?

Love this site.

Thank fellow gear heads...

Chuck

Control unit posted

FB_IMG_1686362026634.jpg

IMG-20221124-WA0006.jpg

Could you, or should you?

The driver for all accessories is the crankshaft. The alternator isn't a drive element, it's a driven element. As such, its motor isn't designed to be hung off of, the way it would be if there was a second belt on it. A belt tensioner would make the problem worse, not better, at least for the alternator.

Yes, you can do it, but you shouldn't.

You will have about 90 degrees of belt wrap running a single belt from the crank/water pump/alt/compressor.
The belt would almost certainly slip.

A double groove crank pulley would be preferable, then you also need an adapter and a double groove water pump pulley.

Could you, or should you?

The driver for all accessories is the crankshaft. The alternator isn't a drive element, it's a driven element. As such, its motor isn't designed to be hung off of, the way it would be if there was a second belt on it. A belt tensioner would make the problem worse, not better, at least for the alternator.

Yes, you can do it, but you shouldn't.
Thanks for your help 👍

Same answer, except it's worse for the water pump. You can live, for a while, without an alternator. Your engine will overheat in a hurry without a water pump.

Our plans, and yes they change. 1979 BJ40 diesel w/ a B series motor. Alternator and water pump use original set up being driven by the drive pulley. We are going to have a new crank drive built with the original cut for the existing belt system. We are adding a second groove for a belt to drive the A/C compressor only. Any feedback you have is greatly appreciated and thank you for the response. This group rocks

IMG-20221124-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230317-WA0002.jpeg

That's the way to do it.

All the way!

That's the way to do it.

All the way!
Thanks for the advise. We are going to go ahead with the OEM setup and add a belt to crank with a double groove on the crank pulley to drive the A/C compressor. Thanks again for your help. This is the 13th build, my first Land Cruiser BJ40 and my last build. From now on there will be a "gone fishing" sign on my roll away tool box. California here I come...

Thanks for the advise. We are going to go ahead with the OEM setup and add a belt to crank with a double groove on the crank pulley to drive the A/C compressor. Thanks again for your help. This is the 13th build, my first Land Cruiser BJ40 and my last build. From now on there will be a "gone fishing" sign on my roll away tool box. California here I come...

in-case this plan gets snagged...

i DO have OEM double groove Genuine NipponDenso double groove alternator pulleys , just in case

matt :)

You will have about 90 degrees of belt wrap running a single belt from the crank/water pump/alt/compressor.
The belt would almost certainly slip.

A double groove crank pulley would be preferable, then you also need an adapter and a double groove water pump pulley.
Why the double groove water pump pulley? Every answer in this thread doesn't mention your double groove water pump pulley. All answers state stay with original design and add a double groove crank pulley with 1 dedicated drive belt for the A/C compressor. Just wondering what your theory is.

Why the double groove water pump pulley? Every answer in this thread doesn't mention your double groove water pump pulley. All answers state stay with original design and add a double groove crank pulley with 1 dedicated drive belt for the A/C compressor. Just wondering what your theory is.

my answer , was how i interpreted the thread starter's issues and alternative parts request need to be , a Double groove alternator pulley for that unit in his tech photos above ..:meh:

my answer , was how i interpreted the thread starter's issues and alternative parts request need to be , a Double groove alternator pulley for that unit in his tech photos above ..:meh:
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Every bit of knowledge from other owners is invaluable to me. This is my 13th and last build. Taking Maggie to Northern California next year, color me "gone fishing 🎣

I'm looking for a double groove water pump pulley. The one that was on the FJ when I bought it was attached poorly and fell off along with the fan and fan clutch. The pulley now has elongated holes

I'm looking for a double groove water pump pulley. The one that was on the FJ when I bought it was attached poorly and fell off along with the fan and fan clutch. The pulley now has elongated holes

with or without a fan clutch ?

what engine <

gas or diesel

i have all the doubles , let me know

The fan shroud has some previous damage so I'm looking for one of those as well if anyone knows where I can find one. It's got factory AC. The shroud is part #61091

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom