Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once I got all of the console taken apart, and all the cup holders out, I felt like I was in the Michael Jackson video thriller, when they talk about the "funk of 40,000 years". There was definitely all kinds of funk underneath things in our truck, it smelled like old coffee drinks. Great opportunity to vacuum old chips from between the seats and console and wipe things down.

Last edited:
Now it boils down to running wires.

I had to tuck USB wires from the cigarette lighter portion up to the stereo, and get the stereo wire harness plugged in and route wires down into the shifter area for the reverse and parking brake wires.

For the back-up camera, I ran wires under the arm rest metal platform. Then I went under the carpet from the passenger rear door and pulled wire under the carpet and tucked it up into the passenger rear quarter panel until I can get motivation to install the camera. No real pictures of this, just tedious reaching.

For the hands free phone mic, I thought it might work really well on the little shelf directly below the instrument cluster. To run this wiring, I ran weed whip string over from the cavity where the stereo will reside and got it to pass through over by the ignition key cylinder. Then I taped the wire for the mic and ran it back. I tucked the excess under the ventilation duct on the driver side.

20 June 2018 014.JPG
20 June 2018 016.JPG
20 June 2018 017.JPG

Now it felt like things were definitely starting to get real!

Time to move the brackets from the Nakamichi to your new stereo. On my Pioneer, the brackets just fell into place. I had to use the fasteners provided by Pioneer. The Nakamichi hardware did not bolt up just right.

I made sure the battery was disconnected again, and then plugged my harness into the back of the head unit. Now comes the task of tucking all your wiring in behind the head unit. This felt like fitting 10 pounds of poop into a 5 pound sack... I took plenty of time and tucked things in here and there, then the stereo would seat in a little deeper. Then I would pull it out and tuck things a little more. After the 3rd or 4th try, it just slid right in - easy peasy!

I got the little trim piece that fills in the void on our LX stereo opening. Position that around your stereo now. Some folks use adhesive to seal it to the LX trim, I have not yet.

Then connect battery power and see how things go! Hopefully you did a brilliant job and everything works!

20 June 2018 015.JPG
20 June 2018 018.JPG

This really updated our '99 LX. Having Apple Car Play, and Bluetooth, and hands free calling is really cool! I am sure the back-up camera will add a lot as well.

I hope this thread can help a few people who have not swapped out their Nakamichi head units yet.

If anyone would like our old Nakamichi, just PM me. It is yours for the cost of shipping!

@PabloCruise this was a great thread! I admire your dedication to making it plug-and-play. I've long since removed my factory harness and just used Posi-lock connectors so I don't have to keep cutting back the factory wires. Turned out to be a good thing, since my Joying unit pooped the bed and the JVC I bought to replace it was DOA. Gonna try the Sony, now.

For me, I found that a good, out-of-the-way placement for the hands-free mic was running it up the a-pillar and just having it poke out the top. I also ran the GPS antenna under the glove compartment and up the side, behind the trim, to rest on the dash, right next to the light sensor. I didn't have the patience to figure out the reverse light and back-up cam hook up, so I'm glad you did the leg work and posted your findings!

This was really helpful, if and when I finally decide to tackle this on my 2000. You could probably start a kitchen table side gig and sell some of these. I would certainly buy one.

This was really helpful, if and when I finally decide to tackle this on my 2000. You could probably start a kitchen table side gig and sell some of these. I would certainly buy one.

@PabloCruise this was a great thread! I admire your dedication to making it plug-and-play. I've long since removed my factory harness and just used Posi-lock connectors so I don't have to keep cutting back the factory wires. Turned out to be a good thing, since my Joying unit pooped the bed and the JVC I bought to replace it was DOA. Gonna try the Sony, now.

For me, I found that a good, out-of-the-way placement for the hands-free mic was running it up the a-pillar and just having it poke out the top. I also ran the GPS antenna under the glove compartment and up the side, behind the trim, to rest on the dash, right next to the light sensor. I didn't have the patience to figure out the reverse light and back-up cam hook up, so I'm glad you did the leg work and posted your findings!

Thank you!

I guess when it came to the phone mic I didn't feel like trying to route that line all the way over to the A pillar and dealing with that trim. I have one clip at the top of the front piece of A pillar trim that will not fasten - it bugs me.

Just to be clear, I have not tapped the Reverse wire for the back up camera, nor have I tapped the parking brake for the DVD player yet. I also have not installed the back-up camera yet. I am not 100% confident about pulling the interior panels for the rear quarter panels. It will probably not be worse than pulling the whole center console, but I guess I am post-poning anyway.

I also want to some 10-gauge wire for my fridge and make a power port in the passenger side rear quarter panel - might as well do at the same time as the back up camera.

I recently replaced the stereo in my 2000 LX and now it keeps popping my 15 amp tailight fuse..any idea what I did wrong?

I recently replaced the stereo in my 2000 LX and now it keeps popping my 15 amp tailight fuse..any idea what I did wrong?
There's a lot of bare metal and wires behind the radio. Check and make sure there aren't any nicked or otherwise bare wires in there that could be making contact. I blew at least three 20A fuses before I realized that there was a tiny bit of exposed wire sticking out of one of my posi-lock connectors.

That is an interesting idea!
It was a little spendy going with all Toyota repair terminals, but once I realized I could not transfer the wires from the Metra adapter, I was in a bind.
This idea would also require you to send me the adapter for your stereo, so there would be some shipping back and forth.
But thank you, I appreciate the compliment!

We appreciate all of your hard work and effort to document it here.

It may end up being my 'plan B' if I can't get the OEM stereo unit to work (repaired).

Last edited:

Did you tap into any of the tail light wiring during your stereo install?

There's a lot of bare metal and wires behind the radio. Check and make sure there aren't any nicked or otherwise bare wires in there that could be making contact. I blew at least three 20A fuses before I realized that there was a tiny bit of exposed wire sticking out of one of my posi-lock connectors.

Agreed - but do any of the tail light wires run back there behind the stereo?

What fuse were you blowing?

Did you tap into any of the tail light wiring during your stereo install?

Agreed - but do any of the tail light wires run back there behind the stereo?

What fuse were you blowing?

I was blowing the radio fuse, under the hood because the Batt + wire was making contact. That was easy to diagnose and fix. With regard to the tail light wires, the hazard flasher switch runs back there.

I just clipped the connecting spades out of the male connectors and soldered them on to the wires I needed and plugged them in

That is an interesting idea!
It was a little spendy going with all Toyota repair terminals, but once I realized I could not transfer the wires from the Metra adapter, I was in a bind.
This idea would also require you to send me the adapter for your stereo, so there would be some shipping back and forth.
But thank you, I appreciate the compliment!

I am always willing to pay someone who has taken the time to figure out and solve a problem so that I don't have to. Plug and play solution would be great. Think about what materials would cost, what your labor is worth, and let me know if it's something you'd consider doing. I could certainly get a head unit and crutchfield components and send them along if I knew I'd end up with an easy install. Shoot me a PM if you want to take it off here, but I thought I would post in case others might be interested and bigger numbers would be of interest. Thanks

I am always willing to pay someone who has taken the time to figure out and solve a problem so that I don't have to. Plug and play solution would be great. Think about what materials would cost, what your labor is worth, and let me know if it's something you'd consider doing. I could certainly get a head unit and crutchfield components and send them along if I knew I'd end up with an easy install. Shoot me a PM if you want to take it off here, but I thought I would post in case others might be interested and bigger numbers would be of interest. Thanks

Certainly, I can shoot you a PM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom