Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you. I am looking for a stock amp that as I believe the issue I have is in there, so it would be easier to go that route rather than an aftermarket amp. This is a great write-up T.

Going through pictures on the computer and found mine from when I added the camera, so I thought I would update the thread.

I thought I would try mounting on the upper half of the tailgate, and if possible, run the wire in through one of the license plate light holes:

29 Sept 2018 010.JPG

I pulled the interior trim that goes up around the driver side of the tailgate glass and just secured the camera wiring to some existing wiring using zip ties.

I chose the driver side b/c I could run the camera wires from the tailgate into the body using this factory boot. I ran some extra line from the weed whip into the boot, taped the camera wire on and then patiently pulled back through:

29 Sept 2018 007.JPG
29 Sept 2018 013.JPG

Last edited:
I thought I would run through the passenger side quarter to connect up to the head unit. I wanted to go this route b/c I would ultimately like to add power in the back for a fridge, and the passenger rear quarter looked like it had space for a Blue Sea panel.

So I pulled the trim above the tailgate opening and the pass side quarter trim:

29 Sept 2018 008.JPG
29 Sept 2018 006.JPG

I had second thoughts about the length of wire required to go through the passenger side quarter, so I went driver side quarter.
The interior trim pulls off just the same.
For anyone wondering, the 470 w/ Nakamichi has one sub-woofer:

29 Sept 2018 014.JPG

I made the connections with the wiring from the head unit. When I installed the head unit I had tucked that wiring back under the center console, so I just went in and retrieved the plug and ran it into the passenger side rear quarter.

Then I secured the camera in the center of the upper tailgate and mounted it close to the body, so it was not sticking out too much - hope that makes sense? I wanted it to be protected and not be too obvious, or get too much road spray.

The wiring tucks into the license plate light nicely - no holes drilled!

The only thing I have not done is tap into the reverse light wiring so it comes on automatically. I will probably do that when I run the power line to the back of the truck for the fridge.

29 Dec 2018 407.JPG
29 Dec 2018 406.JPG
29 Dec 2018 404.JPG

Last edited:
Then I ordered this companion connector from Metra with the plan to convert to LX harness to look like an LC harness and plug right in:

71-8112.jpg

Metra Part # 71-8112 | Toyota wire harness | Metra Online

Then I realized the Toyota amp used a common ground for the pre-amp inputs, while the LX w/ Nakamichi uses individual grounds for the pre-amp inputs. Bummer!

So I never used this piece, if anyone needs one, shoot me a PM.
I'm chasing the male connector for this item, any idea where to find it or part number?

PabloCruise, it's been a few months now since you finished this project up. I'm contemplating following your lead on this, and I've got a couple of questions.
1) How does it sound, and is it holding up well?
2) You've only used 14 pins of the 22 pin connector. Can you go over why you only used those 14, and if there's any negative effect from the unused pins (noise, functions not working, etc.)? And:
3) Other than the RCA sections, did you use anything else from the Metra LC harness that you bought? If not, are you aware of any option for buying the color coded RCA wires?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions after I dig into the project (when the tax return comes in), but I'd appreciate any answers to the above you could give me as I start to compile my parts list.

Thanks in advance!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom