My TLC experience (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

“Math is hard.” - Barbie

Seriously, though, I love the use of it. The “when am I ever going to use this (math) in real life?” question has come up a few times at home recently. I love this example!

What's funny is, I hated algebra in high school. Never made it past basic algebra and I dropped out in tenth grade.

A few years ago I was forced to teach myself some basic trigonometry and geometry. While I'm not a whiz at it, and there's a ton of holes in my knowledge, I use it all daily. Building parametric CAM programs for the cnc is fun, and super rewarding to me. When everything works correctly, it's almost magic.

Had they taught me that stuff in a less abstract way in school, I might have ended up more than an idiot construction worker. 😆

For @1MAC

My favorite red headed copilot.

20220917_175612.jpg

20220917_175433.jpg

Not a great picture, but the removable basket installed on the passenger side.

20220911_085715.jpg

And with it removed. (And the reason why it gets removed sitting there...)
I won't be running with the basket very often. Basically camping and other trips. That's about it. I don't see the point in carrying around an empty rack either.
The goal has always to be able to open the one door without having to open the arm. The dog gets in and out four times a day, and the rear door is the easiest option for her.

20220919_170710.jpg

I got the compressor bolted in place, I need to get it wired up yet, and get the wires ran in the cabin. I also need to dig through the boxes and see if any air line was included.
I think I'm going to move the hazard switch to the hole just to the right of the cluster, and the pull switches for the lockers will go in the hole that was for the hazards, and for the choke. I think that is my cleanest no drill option.
The power switch for the compressor will be going in my console.

20220912_125944.jpg

Not a great picture, but the removable basket installed on the passenger side.

View attachment 3119011

And with it removed. (And the reason why it gets removed sitting there...)
I won't be running with the basket very often. Basically camping and other trips. That's about it. I don't see the point in carrying around an empty rack either.
The goal has always to be able to open the one door without having to open the arm. The dog gets in and out four times a day, and the rear door is the easiest option for her.

View attachment 3119010

I made my basket removable as well, as time passed I don’t think I’ve removed it yet. I thought I’d build a bike rack, but i found a deal on a hitch mount. The cooler is good optional storage from time to time. Occasionally for consumables…
Edit- blamd on tequila…

Last edited:
Just did my first oil change with about 1100 miles on the engine. Maybe a bit more. I'm not sure how many miles Proffitt put on.

It runs super clean, I haven't seen a hint of smoke. Maybe just a fuzz of hazing after engine braking, then getting into the throttle hard. Like decelerating to make a turn onto another road, then accelerating aggressively. But very short lived, and not much.

I am surprised at how dark the oil is after so few miles with how clean it runs. There was some ferrous goop on the magnet. Nothing out of line in my opinion, and no glitter. I don't have a way to cleanly cut the filter open to inspect that. I also couldn't get it loose by hand, and went for the trusty "stab a screw driver" method. So it wouldn't have been a great one to cut open anyways.
I really should invest in some filter wrenches.

20220924_110639.jpg

In normal Cummins fashion, the drain plug just requires a 3/8" ratchet. It is o-ringed, versus a crush washer, I like that as well. Plug is right in the bottom of the pan. My stupid Ford pickup, it's mounted on the side, and I get oil everywhere when I change that.

PRLC puts the filter in a great spot. Super easy to access. It's vertical, and won't make a giant mess when changed normally. Stabbing a hole in the bottom doesn't count as normally.... 😬

20220924_113731.jpg

Right off the bat a couple of observations about the 2.8.
It vibrates more than I anticipated. I hadn't put any thought into it prior to getting behind the wheel. Oddly enough, most of the engines I've owned have been straight sixes. 2 Ford 4.9's, a Datsun 2.8, 2 Cummins (B & ISB), and two Toyota sixes. 2F & 1FZ.
I'm used to inline sixes, which are always smooth runners. Straight 6 and V12's are the only engines that naturally balance?
A four cylinder is never that smooth, and I've never driven a diesel inline 4, so more an adjustment of expectation than anything. I have ran plenty of skid loaders and telehandlers with inline fours, and really should've known better.

Power is hard to explain. It's got plenty of torque. But it definitely does not like being lugged. It is not happy when presented with a high load, and a high throttle setting. I've been shifting around 2600rpm in normal driving conditions, and that seems about just right. The H55 has some weird gearing. 1st to 2nd is close in ratio. 2 to 3, and 3 to 4 is pretty well spaced out. 4-5 are pretty close in ratio. 4th is 1:1, I think 5th is something like .85:1
Keeping the micro Cummins in a happy rpm range takes some practice. My rig with two people, no gear is 4800 pounds, I just weighed it this past week. It's aerodynamics are absurd. AND, you have got 170hp, with a skinny powerband to make it all work. So I'm not surprised. What I've noticed is it likes to be above 1800 rpm, and above 3000 rpm is a waste. I've spun it past a 3500 a few times, most just to ring it out a bit. I believe a properly broken in engine sees a multitude of loads, and heat cycles. Some long duration, light loading. Some short duration high load so temps spike.

In low range, everything changes, it's just great with the limited trail time I had with her.

Mileage is less than I thought. I was hoping to see mid twenties, expecting to see 22-23mpg. Wish in one hand, poop in the other, right? 😄 The handful of fills have been just under 20mpg 19.5, 19.2, 19.75 I think were the numbers. Today I got 20.75 when I tanked. Which brings me to my next observation.

I think, (not certain), Cummins runs a break in tune. At around 45 hours of engine time, it changed. Nothing huge, nothing significant. It seems to have a bit more power, and to be a bit smoother running. Now while idling at a light, my mirrors are no longer fuzz, and I can actually see out of them. And, the last fill was better mileage.
The internet is strange, I've read on here guy's reporting much better mileage than I'm seeing. Which could be a multitude of things. I use the accelerator more, I just drive differently, or have different conditions. Fuel quality varies wildly. Or, somebody spent a buttload of money and effort on something, and they're fibbing the facts a twinge so they feel less like an asshat. 😆

Overall, I'm thrilled. I made the right choice, and I'd do it again. It's a great powerplant for the FJ40. I fricking loved it off road, and on road it probably actually exceeds my expectations. I still avoid the interstate, but 70mph is easily done when I need to. 80 miles and hours is doable too, but I don't want to die that way. Plus, I can safely pass on a two lane when needed.
I'm likely talking out my ass, (while simultaneously justifying my own gaping hole in my checking account...), but my gut feeling is I couldn't get a 2F to do what that itty bitty oil burner does. Even if I pumped in the same dollars into a 2F, I wouldn't have the power, the delivery, or the range I do now. I would like to drive a 40 with a built 2F. Mine is/was no comparison, it was very tired.

Pro tip: neodymium magnet on the side of the fuel filler well holds the cap nicely.
I was setting it on the gutter, but I don't care for setting anything on paint.
If it doesn't work on your Aqualu tub, try contacting a sorcerer. 😋

20220924_132408.jpg

20220924_132402.jpg

Last edited:
Working with Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers:

I had a wonderful experience.
Everything his guys touched was top notch. He's fussy and picky. I like that, and appreciate that more than I can explain. I don't think I fit the mould for his typical cliental, I actually have a budget, and have will some day have to explain to my wife how many dollars have actually been sucked up in the name of My Toyota Land Cruiser Experience. Jeremiah pointed, sometimes nudged, me in the correct direction throughout the process. Which from my initial contact was more than a year ago. I was not planning on doing Air conditioning, I was not planning on doing power steering. But I ended up with both, and am grateful that I did.

PRLC completed my rear swing outs for me, and to my weird specification. There's still some things that need to be iron'd out with the latch, but I knew I hadn't picked a complete winner of an idea out of the gate. I think I've got a good enough plan for version two to make it a final change. The big guy who does fabrication..... frick, I can't think of his name, does his job very well. I'm super pleased with the work he completed.

There are something that I would change, but they have to do with timing, and not with Jeremiah, or his people. Supply chains are a mess, labor is a mess, the lead on my project went on vacation, Jeremiah doesn't know how to use ladders and he broke his leg. lol
All things completely out of anyone's hands, and just poopy luck on my part. I run a small business as well, and am familiar with the struggles.

His guys seem to enjoy where they work. That tells you a lot about the man, and how he runs his shop. That's also huge and not an easy accomplishment.

I'd also choose Jeremiah and PRLC again. He was fantastic to work with, and I feel I got a great value for what I paid. Myself and everyone who has looked under the hood has been impressed with the installation. It's very neat, very tidy, and just excellent overall.

Got the bar lights mounted in the wings of the front bumper today.

Started out by figuring out where I wanted them to be. I decided to center them between the long points on that facet.
20220925_090103.jpg

Used the cnc to make a template. I made the hole in the template quite a while ago, but didn't know the overall size, or where I wanted them to be placed until now.
20220925_095751.jpg

My template had the mounting holes on it. I drilled the holes, then bolted them to the bumper to make scratching the hole placement into the paint easier.
20220925_101139.jpg

After scratching in the holes, I th removed the templates, and drilled holes in the corners. Didn't do that particularly well, but close enough.
20220925_120916.jpg

I cut the light holes with an angle grinder and with a metal blade in a jigsaw for what I couldn't reach with the death wheel. Cleaned up the holes with a die grinder, using two sizes of carbide burr tools, and an abrasive drum. I failed to get a picture of the holes. They weren't terrible, but certainly not cut by a robot. Passable. 😆

And all four lights mounted.
20220925_124913.jpg

You're ganna have a cooked meal next time you decide to clap a deer :rofl:

You're ganna have a cooked meal next time you decide to clap a deer :rofl:

I'm just hoping the little prairie maggot bursts into flames before I actually hit it.

Pictures don't do it justice. It is stupid bright.

Trying to come up with a remedy for the giant hole hacked into my dash for the radio.

I cut a prototype face plate from mdf on the cnc today. Still needs done tweaks, but I think the idea is sound.

20221002_141112.jpg

20221002_160129.jpg

It is a lot bigger than I want it to be.

I engraved LandCruiser just above the radio and I'm struggling to get that looking correct. It's so small, getting the depth correct is a challenge. Both of my test runs were failures on that. I might have to abandon that idea, or possibly get smaller tooling. Or, test run the depth of cut until I get it right.

Might be nice to add "Volume" and "Tune" above or below the knobs to eat up some of that real estate too.

Mounting the radio itself is going to be a big ol' bag of suck. I have one mounting spot on the bottom remaining. The sides have been cut away. I think my plan is to make a tray that bolts to that mount. Then some little brackets on the sides to bolt to the head unit and the tray. I'll have to bolt the tray in, attach the head unit with the brackets attached to that, then the face plate last, which the way the Retrosound is setup, should be easy..... I think.... 😆🤔😑🙄😔

Looking pretty good! What if you left a little more space between the letters so they would stand out more?

Looking pretty good! What if you left a little more space between the letters so they would stand out more?

Thinking on it a bit, I think I can shallow up the depth a bit and get there. I need to test it to find out. I've never tried doing letters that small.

Maybe source some rub-down decals for that logo.
I just need to monkey with it a bit. I'm sure I can get something acceptable to work.

Going to do some trails in northern Minnesota this weekend. I quick built a little platform for the dog so she can see out the window. Basically just ½" plywood sheets that come as padding for other more expensive materials, is what it's made from.

I love robots.
20221007_124610.jpg

20221007_132452.jpg

20221007_132455.jpg

If I were to make it again, I would make it shorter in height. I made it tall enough to clear the door opener handle for the driver's side ambulance door. I think that is much taller than necessary. Doing it again, I'd drop it down so it was underneath that handle. It would go down in height about 4½" doing that.
20221007_132459.jpg

My top shelf was too wide. I couldn't get it through the back door at all. I trimmed an inch off of either side, and it slid right in at an angle.

The section between the jump seats needs to be narrowed up about ¼" just to give a little more wiggle room.

The whole thing had to be assembled in the vehicle. I'm not a huge guy, but making it shorter would make that more difficult

I also made a little box quick to throw miscellaneous crap in.

20221007_165512.jpg

Neither one of these is well made. I just blasted them together for the weekend. 😆

I'm betting both are in the dumpster soon.

Finally got my ARB compressor wired up today. Super simple, just hadn't gotten around to it. My switch for the compressor is in the console. The switches for the lockers are in the dash. I'm going to get some smaller gauge SO cord to extend the locker switch wires back up to the dash.

A complete waste of time, but I extended the wires for the front lights so I could use the switches in the console. It's a waste of time because I'm just going to rip it all out again, but I hated the way I had it ran before.

This is the best way to run the dog.

20221008_161429.jpg

20221008_161356.jpg

Oh man, adding that shelf in the back has made riding with the dog so much better. She can see and isn't driving me crazy jumping from the back to the front every five minutes.
She just hangs out cool as a cucumber watching the world go by.

20221011_085756.jpg

There is a nice amount of room underneath as well. I don't think I'd change the height now

Loaded up and headed back to Colorado.
One of my cousin's kids is getting married in Buena Vista this weekend. I'm using it as an excuse to drag the 40 back to the mountains. My brother and family are renting a j**p. The current plan is to hit Tin Cup.

20221012_185319.jpg

Looks like the pooch is ready.

20221012_183253.jpg

Hit the road a little before three this morning. Hoping to get to the hotel at a reasonable time. Looks like I'm going to have a nasty headwind the entire trip out. I'm currently in Iowa and averaging 6.4mpg..... I've got the cruise set at 71mph, so it's not like I'm hauling ass. It's gonna be an expensive trip out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom