My TLC experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to the madness.
have fun with the build.
im in the same process, but went with a 3B diesel swap then turbo charging.
im looking at getting my tranny and transfer case rebuilt but can not find anyone near me.

how did you use and do you have contact information?

Its a local guy who just does it as a side hustle at home.

Awesome progress!

Did you add any shims to the front axle when adding the leaf springs? That makes all the difference in steering 'wander'

No, just the axle housing sitting on the springs. The camber was visually different on both sides, but now that everything is fresh in the front end, they are sitting the same.

I've kinda blamed the wandering steering on two things. Tired tie rod ends, and just a narrow track. I've noticed if you are on a well worn road, it's not very happy in the groove. I've got new tie rod ends, I just haven't prioritized installing them. It'll likely be the next thing I tackle. Work is nuts right now, and it's stupid warm, so I haven't been real enthusiastic about hanging out on the shop.

Yea, some 2 degree shims will make all the difference.

That, and keeping the tires pretty narrow.

I've got 31x10-1/2 tires now. I'm not planning on going bigger in either direction. I really like the way it sits and looks right now.

Those shims aren't expensive at all, and will likely be worth a shot. I'm going to swap out the tie rod ends first and see how it drives. I'd like to get some measurements and see how the angles on the front driveshaft are and whether rotating the front axle assembly will keep it in spec for angles. I'm guessing it will. The lift is small, but visually it does look like the pinion and output of the transfer case are not parallel. Hard to say with out getting some actual measurements though. It wouldn't be the first time my eyes were wrong.

and a big thank you to @ToyotaMatt Either it's automated, or he doesn't like sleep very much. I got a shipping notification for a lockset I ordered late last evening at almost four am this morning. My passenger lock is messed up and the key won't go in, my ignition lock feels really tired, plus all my keys are in rough shape from pocket wear. So when the frame off happens, I'll have brand new locks to put in. I'm far more excited about that than I should be.

I've got 31x10-1/2 tires now. I'm not planning on going bigger in either direction. I really like the way it sits and looks right now.

Those shims aren't expensive at all, and will likely be worth a shot. I'm going to swap out the tie rod ends first and see how it drives. I'd like to get some measurements and see how the angles on the front driveshaft are and whether rotating the front axle assembly will keep it in spec for angles. I'm guessing it will. The lift is small, but visually it does look like the pinion and output of the transfer case are not parallel. Hard to say with out getting some actual measurements though. It wouldn't be the first time my eyes were wrong.

and a big thank you to @ToyotaMatt Either it's automated, or he doesn't like sleep very much. I got a shipping notification for a lockset I ordered late last evening at almost four am this morning. My passenger lock is messed up and the key won't go in, my ignition lock feels really tired, plus all my keys are in rough shape from pocket wear. So when the frame off happens, I'll have brand new locks to put in. I'm far more excited about that than I should be.

Automated ?

Please ..............🤣

it is always indeed exciting for me when valued clients and customers of my family run online store get excited about what i have to offer up !

I indeed processed your order manually @ around 4:21 AM , EST

see
, STAR WARS the BAD BATCH premiers on DISNEY XD @ 12:01 AM PST , so i pull a all nighter packing up orders and such so i can tune in promptly @ 3:01 AM EST , i can't miss heads getting swiped off with RED LIGHT SABERS ! 😆

BUT ..............

on a more serious and special note :

@sogncab , you will be the first person to receive my new UPDATED 6pc 69005-90386 / 69005-69057 Master LOCK & KEYS SET , see old

one was only 5pc

ALL Other 40 series LOCK set sources are ONLY 4pc sets ........fyi 🤔

This morning DHL delivered My JAPAN stock order before the mail man picked up your order .........

in it is my first Batch of OEM TOYOTA parts Maker ALPHA Spare Tire Pad Locks

a SPARE TIRE and TOOL BOX FACTORY OEM PAD LOCK WILL Be parts of ALL MY LOCK KUSTOM sets From now ON !

comes with 3 OEM ALPHA KEYS TOO !

Below TECH. images might explain better then me Rambling on here , enjoy your new 6pc set , and THANKS

kindly matt

9E729DEF-0B56-4867-8B85-C36BEBEBD36F.jpeg
9D395EDD-3EF0-48F9-8BFD-C7E63280E7D7.jpeg
1BB73761-03EB-4D39-8959-7319706650C9.jpeg
C893F959-9E20-4697-A840-67E03792B91A.jpeg
BBC1FC62-45FB-4828-9C01-39FF052ECBA4.jpeg
0A192248-FBC0-4004-8321-A79AECF5550E.jpeg
96B87509-E5B8-44B8-BADD-38766BC18C9B.jpeg
DBB3FA65-5FCD-4BB7-8869-3BBF3A8C0DFD.jpeg
C93BE2F4-D9BA-4FB3-8488-A5A47C770E1E.jpeg
5BC12A00-3469-48C4-9DF3-5B7A9DFF9C5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Automated ?

Please ..............🤣

it is always indeed exciting for me when valued clients and customers of my family run online store get excited about what i have to offer up !

I indeed processed your order manually @ around 4:21 AM , EST

see
, STAR WARS the BAD BATCH premiers on DISNEY XD @ 12:01 AM PST , so i pull a all nighter packing up orders and such so i can tune in promptly @ 3:01 AM EST , i can't miss heads getting swiped off with RED LIGHT SABERS ! 😆

BUT ..............

on a more serious and special note :

@sogncab , you will be the first person to receive my new UPDATED 6pc 69005-90386 / 69005-69057 Master LOCK & KEYS SET , see old

one was only 5pc

ALL Other 40 series LOCK set sources are ONLY 4pc sets ........fyi 🤔

This morning DHL delivered My JAPAN stock order before the mail man picked up your order .........

in it is my first Batch of OEM TOYOTA parts Maker ALPHA Spare Tire Pad Locks

a SPARE TIRE and TOOL BOX FACTORY OEM PAD LOCK WILL Be parts of ALL MY LOCK KUSTOM sets From now ON !

comes with 3 OEM ALPHA KEYS TOO !

Below TECH. images might explain better then me Rambling on here , enjoy your new 6pc set , and THANKS

kindly matt

Automated in a sense that whatever you use for billing and accounting software, accepts the transaction, and automatically generates a shipping label and tracking info. I didn't think you had robots pulling and packing product. 😆

Sorry for a stupid question, but I'm assuming the ignition key will operate the fuel door as it does now? Looking at the pictures, it also looks like it's just one key for the side doors, ignition, and fuel door? The back ambulance door is obviously on it's own key and smaller separate style lockset.

I'll have to find myself a fancy new keychain when everything comes together. Something lightweight. I hate heavy keys banging on the tumblers whilst going down the road. Especially in a vehicle that rides like you're falling down several flights of metal stairs, in a metal trashcan.

Anybody ever come up with a crafty solution for using a side door lock work in the back? Obviously, it's a completely different action and design, but that would be slick. I just leave the whole rig unlocked usually, (with nothing of value inside), because it's only slightly more effort to not use the key than use it to get in....

Automated in a sense that whatever you use for billing and accounting software, accepts the transaction, and automatically generates a shipping label and tracking info. I didn't think you had robots pulling and packing product. 😆

Sorry for a stupid question, but I'm assuming the ignition key will operate the fuel door as it does now? Looking at the pictures, it also looks like it's just one key for the side doors, ignition, and fuel door? The back ambulance door is obviously on it's own key and smaller separate style lockset.

I'll have to find myself a fancy new keychain when everything comes together. Something lightweight. I hate heavy keys banging on the tumblers whilst going down the road. Especially in a vehicle that rides like you're falling down several flights of metal stairs, in a metal trashcan.

Anybody ever come up with a crafty solution for using a side door lock work in the back? Obviously, it's a completely different action and design, but that would be slick. I just leave the whole rig unlocked usually, (with nothing of value inside), because it's only slightly more effort to not use the key than use it to get in....

not exactly .........

i have to manually Fulfill the order and choose all the shipping options based on the paticulars of every order

all orders are unique and different , shipping is the hardest part of the job , make sure u allocat enoiugh for it , but NOT charge too much as well , delicate balance like Ballet

YES , ALL Double sided keys and locks Coded the same , Ignition , Fuel Door , Side front doors too

Your in good solid hands , no worries :D

please take photos of your install PEASE !

thanks again

matt

oh btw .......

i include one of these with EVERY KEY RELATED ORDER ,

Your wish is been met and you did not know it yet ........😇

Polycarbonate is light enough for you ?

E115FA10-2BA2-4555-BE72-804575ADA7F0.jpeg

6C11FDEB-2C39-4873-897D-3C8290EB41DC.jpeg

DSCN9792 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Polycarbonate is light enough for you ?

Seems perfect to me!

Install will be a bit. It won't be getting torn down for paint until winter 22/23. I'm trying to amass things until then, so things aren't quite as shockingly expensive, and I'm less likely to run out of funds mid project stage.

Seems perfect to me!

Install will be a bit. It won't be getting torn down for paint until winter 22/23. I'm trying to amass things until then, so things aren't quite as shockingly expensive, and I'm less likely to run out of funds mid project stage.

you need to pay attn to parts they are on the chopping block to be DISC. / NLA soon

i would HORDE up on those essentials NOW rather then pay the TAX later if you follow me here ?

I've been trying to get what I think I need. There's so much I don't know.
I've got a ton of grommets, (more to go yet...), all new badges. Some lenses. My next area of focus is going to be seals. Window, door, top.

A lot of stuff, like body mounts, looks like aftermarket is the only option that I've found. I'm not going for a show car exact restoration. I just want a nice functional driver. The drive line sounds good, and it drives decently now. Going through the steering will be big, and the last step for that.

Plus I'll snatch whatever else catches my eye when I'm scrolling through web pages while my wife watches something horrible on the tv.

I should've taken up a solid coke and stripper habit. I've pumped $15k into since April 9th, with about another $60k to go before it's done. If I can trade for the paint work, that will be fricking huge.

Some douche nozzle hacked a sunroof in. I'm not sure what will be more cost effective, repairing the hole, or just buying a new aftermarket lid.

There's plenty of boat repair places around here, with not much to do in the winter.

I hate sunroofs. Adding more sunlight to a vehicle without AC is ridiculous to me.

I drove in heavy rain the other day. Drier than a motorcycle. Mostly....🙄

there should be a used lid out there, somewhere - try the Classifieds here on MUD for used parts

I've been trying to get what I think I need. There's so much I don't know.
I've got a ton of grommets, (more to go yet...), all new badges. Some lenses. My next area of focus is going to be seals. Window, door, top.

A lot of stuff, like body mounts, looks like aftermarket is the only option that I've found. I'm not going for a show car exact restoration. I just want a nice functional driver. The drive line sounds good, and it drives decently now. Going through the steering will be big, and the last step for that.

Plus I'll snatch whatever else catches my eye when I'm scrolling through web pages while my wife watches something horrible on the tv.

I should've taken up a solid coke and stripper habit. I've pumped $15k into since April 9th, with about another $60k to go before it's done. If I can trade for the paint work, that will be fricking huge.
If you’re planning on keeping the top on it during the summer, do yourself a huge favor and get a Vintage AC. One of the best mods on mine. I also upgraded to CityRacers LED headlights and they are the bees knees. Seriously 1000% better than stock, along with his brake booster.

I hoarded parts for at least a year prior to tear down, and then I still kept up a steady monthly purchase of things I knew I needed. It definitely helps to spread the cost out.

there should be a used lid out there, somewhere - try the Classifieds here on MUD for used parts

I'm sure there is. I have put zero effort into is so far. It'd be nice to find one semi local.
I am going to western Colorado with the pickup this winter, I could stop by Classic Cruisers. I'd be surprised if he didn't have one.

If you’re planning on keeping the top on it during the summer, do yourself a huge favor and get a Vintage AC. One of the best mods on mine. I also upgraded to CityRacers LED headlights and they are the bees knees. Seriously 1000% better than stock, along with his brake booster.

I hoarded parts for at least a year prior to tear down, and then I still kept up a steady monthly purchase of things I knew I needed. It definitely helps to spread the cost out.
The last few weeks it's been 90º.

I was against ac. I'm much, much less against the idea now. 😋

I'm sure there is. I have put zero effort into is so far. It'd be nice to find one semi local.
I am going to western Colorado with the pickup this winter, I could stop by Classic Cruisers. I'd be surprised if he didn't have one.
Classic actually makes brand new lids if you’re so inclined.

My mantra during my rebuild was to replace everything with new if I could afford it. There are plenty of original parts on my rig, but if it was reasonable I replaced them. Figured it was easier to do while it was in a million pieces versus getting it back together and having something fail a short time later. On the acquisition front, slow and steady parts buying reduced the financial hurt a lot for me. Still expensive though.

One word of advice…definitely don’t total up the cost until you’re completely done.

One word of advice…definitely don’t total up the cost until you’re completely done.

Ha! I've been keeping track of everything in a spreadsheet. I also have suppliers, part numbers, and links for things I haven't gotten yet on there. I like that for keeping things straight as far as what has been acquired, and what needs to be acquired.

Plus a wishlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom