My sons 71 40 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have finally gotten off of my @$$ and moved enough stuff around to get the garage cleared enough to start putting this together. I bought it a few years ago with plans of putting it together for me, but now that my son is turning 15 I thought it would be a good time for him to learn some basics and possibly have the coolest ride in High School.

This was originally a California rig brought back to NH by a local guy. He actually bought it because it was a V-8 converted rig with a chevy 283 with the correct numbers for his vintage Vette. He pulled the motor (which ended up being junk anyway) and I bought what was left.

And to all the bezel Police :flipoff2: it's already off!!!!!

More pictures to follow.
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00175.JPG
DSC00176.JPG

Giddyup New England. Glad to see the father son project taking shape!!!! That is going to be a nice runner!!!!!

The first picture is it's current power source. The second one is the boat anchor of a rear bumper which is going to need to be cut off, and the last one is of it's current home in the garage with the top and doors off.

Next weekend I pick up the donor truck, an 88 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 350 TBI. I will likely keep the TBI and harness but start out with a carb since he will not be doing much wheeling. Then when I have everything else all set, I can think about getting the TBI in.
DSC00177.JPG
DSC00178.JPG
DSC00180.JPG

Some Mechanical aspects, The disc front end out of a 76 I parted out. The movement will be via a Muncie 4 speed tranny conversion done by the PO with an AA kit. All in all it looks nice and compact, but he was not gentle with the transmission cover. I will try and put the three pieces back together, but may need to shop for a new one. TIme will tell on that one.

Also tilted the windshield and the frame is amazingly clean.
DSC00179.JPG
DSC00185.JPG
DSC00187.JPG

Last ones for now. Here are some floor shots after I pulled the seats and tank and did some vacuuming. Actually my son did the vacuuming for the most part, you've got to start learning somewhere and vacumming is as good as anything else...

Sooooooooo clean for a rig located in New England!:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:
DSC00189.JPG
DSC00190.JPG
DSC00191.JPG

Nice rig. Take lots of pics, and share them with us. Great to have a father-son project. :grinpimp:

Nice rig. Take lots of pics, and share them with us. Great to have a father-son project. :grinpimp:

Yeah, we are both getting psyched!!! HAve an older digital camera dedicated to the build along with an external hard drive. Taking plenty of "put back together" photos as well, for reference.

that is TIGHT for a northeast ride. She looks to be in great shape. Good luck with the build.

That close ratio muncie will be a problem on the trail but if it's just a daily driver and used only around town on smaller tires it might be OK, cheers, Larry

That close ratio muncie will be a problem on the trail but if it's just a daily driver and used only around town on smaller tires it might be OK, cheers, Larry

THis will be a DD for him and just around town for now. Since it is already in there it will stay for now. Actually one of the two trucks I am picking up next weekend has a rebuilt 700R4, and I did toy with the idea of putting that in, but I want to get this up and running in short order and cash will be a consideration.

Here is a discussion from last year on the Muncie, when I first looked to start this project: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=85639&highlight=muncie

We will see how it goes.

Hi All:

What a lucky kid! This is a great father/son project! :D

I took my (at the time) 15 y.o. nephew four wheeling twice last summer and he loved it; I let him drive the rig part of the time! :grinpimp:

Best of luck with the build-up! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

Well really made some headway on the tear down today. Had to drill out some stubborn screws that would just not break loose, so now I will need to buy a metric tap set to clean up some of the holes. Was able to get off the bib, the aprons, the fenders, the running boards and the windshield frame. Pulled all the marker lights and will have to order replacements for those as well. The harness is a mess, and I will likely buy an EZ harness off of ebay too. From what I have seen there will be to patches on the 1/4 panels in the rear, a small patch on the bib unless I can find an older style with the marker lights in it, and part of the drivers floor. Not sure why the PO cut it out as it appears it was all solid. I will need to go through the bolt thread to see what I should order for when I put this back together. Hopefully another good day like today and I can have the rest of the tub stripped of switches and heater box etc., get it off the frame and get it patched up and sand blasted.

Here is how it looks right now.

OH, and I used my gas wrench to remove the rear bumper. I picked up a foot a space behind it in the garage after that!
DSC00196.JPG
DSC00199.JPG

Well the tub is ready to come off but it will have to wait until Monday since my days are full now today and tomorrow. Had to cut the two body mount bolts on the inside rear cross member to complete the job, but the sawzall made quick work of it. I could not get the to the bolts due to a bumper brace that is welded on. I want to take the brace off wit hteh tub off to make sure I get a clean look.
DSC00219.JPG
DSC00223.JPG

The PO really clearance the 1/4 panels which is fine since I will not be lifting it, but keeping it stock height since I am going to be putting a 16 year old in it!!

I found a suprise on the floor as well while stripping it down. The floor inside the underseat toolbox was cut out and patched. This will need to be fixed.

Does anyone recognize these flares? I would like to replace them with new but also want to keep this style since I beliefe he used them as a template to clearance the 1/4's.
DSC00222.JPG
DSC00221.JPG
DSC00180flares.JPG

would you like to sell me your old set? I have a set like these and the passenger side is busted. Let me know what you want for them shipped to 97302. It will help pay for your new ones! ;) Thanks

BTW, I believe there SOR's.

that was my plan to. It was going to be my dd. but then took it offroad and down hill from there. I want to take it to school one day tho.

project

very cool!!!!! my son is 15 also and started working on his own cruiser about a year ago and its been a great time, the people here on mud really helped out alot in getting the parts we needed so if you need anything let us know . its great your passing this on to your son , here is a pic of william when we first started
IMG009.JPG

I have a web page dedicated to the rebuild of my 2/71. Just follow the link in my sig. It might give you and your boy some help when you tear into various things.

It does me no end of good to know that dads are taking the time to pass on the knowledge on these old trucks and the sons and daughters are willing to learn! :cheers:

Keep the pics coming! :)

would you like to sell me your old set? I have a set like these and the passenger side is busted. Let me know what you want for them shipped to 97302. It will help pay for your new ones! ;) Thanks

BTW, I believe there SOR's.

If I can replace them successfully, you can have them for the shipping cost. They are not in good shape what so ever and cracked pretty bad. Need to check SOR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom