My slow '78 Mustard Yellow build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Needs a little buffing.
DSCN4241.JPG

I didn't buff it yet but I did wash it. The heavier oxidation came off and it looks alot better. Since I need to repaint it anyway and fix alot of little rust spots this is probably all i'm going to do to the finish for now.
DSCN4242.JPG
DSCN4243.JPG

I added a 4" Hell Creek Lift this weekend. Shocks are not here yet so it handles like...well a truck with no shocks. Its staying in the shop till the shocks arrive. The rear shackle angles are not the same but I also didn't take the rear shackles off on the frame side so one may be rustier that the other. I'm not going to worry till I have new greasable pins and new bushings for the shackle mounts and everything is broken in. Also the rear shackle pins are not bolts like the fronts are, they press into one side of the shackle and have a nut on the other, really annoying to take apart. BFH required.
DSCN4247.JPG
DSCN4252.JPG
DSCN4253.JPG

After looking at the pics the rear looks a bit lower than the front. I wonder if my 1kz-te diesel is lighter than a 2F?

Not uncommon for the rear to be lower. My 71 FJ40 is noticably lower in back. I used the forklift at work to see what it would take to make it level. Measuring from the floor to the rain gutter I figured I need to lift the rear 2" to get the rain gutter level.

Underside pics

Todd,

Could you post some pics of how your drive shaft work turned out after installed.

Nice build brother.:cheers:

Todd,

Could you post some pics of how your drive shaft work turned out after installed.

Nice build brother.:cheers:

I'll have to take some more pics since I added the lift. I don't think the rear one changed much after the lift. I still need to do the front driveshaft. I was waiting to get the lift done, now I need to re-route the front part of the exhaust so I can put in the front shaft. but all of that will be done after the powersteering and the hydraulic winch. I want to get it back to safe driveable condition. with the lift and its associated bump steer and the worn out steering its too uncontrollable to drive very far or fast.

Nicely done!

To answer your question from three months ago: yes, the 1KZ-TE is MUCH lighter than the 2F.

A 3B is nearly 150 lbs lighter than a 2F, and the 1KZ-TE is a lightweight compared to a 3B. You probably should add a winch to put more weight up there. You know, for safety's sake. :grinpimp:

Dan

Even with all of the crap done to my cruisers (cutting, cages, springovers etc.) I still prefer the look of a hardtop 40 in Yellow with steelies and a lift.

How's the baby?

Thanks! That explains the lift difference in the front.
Winch is coming soon. Maybe I should build a nice heavy bumper too.

Nicely done!

To answer your question from three months ago: yes, the 1KZ-TE is MUCH lighter than the 2F.

A 3B is nearly 150 lbs lighter than a 2F, and the 1KZ-TE is a lightweight compared to a 3B. You probably should add a winch to put more weight up there. You know, for safety's sake. :grinpimp:

Dan

The Runt is doing great. He has now learned to sit up by himself. Feeding is fun too since his cleft pallate is still open. Alot of his green beans come out his nose!

Ist pic is "Jack 'N' Coke"

Even with all of the **** done to my cruisers (cutting, cages, springovers etc.) I still prefer the look of a hardtop 40 in Yellow with steelies and a lift.

How's the baby?
IMG_2601s.jpg
IMG_2714s.jpg

Last edited:
Its been awhile! We just moved to a new house so things are still crazy. I'm just surfing Mud to get myself motivated to get some things on the cruiser finished. Its been sitting since I put on the lift back in Feb. Its been too hot to drive without A/C anyway. I think I'll add a homegrown A/C after I get the steering fixed.

cute Kid! i feel your joy, if that's your first, got one too same age i think....

but man, the diligence and patience with the build, bravo! great work and thanks for sharing! that wiring harness scared the bejezus outta me, think mine needs a little work, but yikes!!

cute Kid! i feel your joy, if that's your first, got one too same age i think....

but man, the diligence and patience with the build, bravo! great work and thanks for sharing! that wiring harness scared the bejezus outta me, think mine needs a little work, but yikes!!

Thanks! the wiring wasn't too bad, most of my time went into stripping out the wires i didn't need. Time consuming but not too hard.

I just realized my screen name is changed and my post count is reset? I don't remember doing that...

Todd,

One of the wreckers near where I live in Australia just rang me to ask if I was interested in a D4-D out of a Hilux. I am thinking about how I can make a bell housing to mate that engine up to my H55f. I had a quick look at your posts on that, and I am wondering how you determined the depth of the bell housing.

If I did this, would I 'simply' get the bell housing from the D4-D, and then weld on the transmission side of my H55f bellhousing? Could I then use the clutch from my 2F? Any thoughts on how to get the flywheel from a 2F onto the D4-D? Sorry for the stupid question, but you seem like the right guy to ask, as I would think it would be a similar engine to yours. Dan?:hmm:

I would really like to get a diesel into my 40 before we move back to the States, and a D4-D would be a great score. Thanks!

Cheers,

Josh

Todd,

One of the wreckers near where I live in Australia just rang me to ask if I was interested in a D4-D out of a Hilux. I am thinking about how I can make a bell housing to mate that engine up to my H55f. I had a quick look at your posts on that, and I am wondering how you determined the depth of the bell housing.

If I did this, would I 'simply' get the bell housing from the D4-D, and then weld on the transmission side of my H55f bellhousing? Could I then use the clutch from my 2F? Any thoughts on how to get the flywheel from a 2F onto the D4-D? Sorry for the stupid question, but you seem like the right guy to ask, as I would think it would be a similar engine to yours. Dan?:hmm:

I would really like to get a diesel into my 40 before we move back to the States, and a D4-D would be a great score. Thanks!

Cheers,

Josh

Hi Josh,

If I were you I would try to use the D4D flywheel. I don't know much about them but most diesels use large very heavy flywheels. You could probably get away with using the 2F clutch by having the D4D flywheel drilled to accept the 2F pressure plate. You would of course need to do a bit of measuring first.

What kind of trannys come behind the D4D? R151F? If so you could use the entire 4wd drivetrain out of the donor vehicle and get a centered rear axle housing. Todd at Dieseltoyz in San Antonio put a 1KZ-TE with a R151F in a 40 with a centered rear axle.

As for the bell housing I would be suprised if the D4D bell would fit anything else unless maybe its the 1KZ-TE. You probably won't have any other choice in bellhousings. But i don't really know. With mine I got pretty lucky that the NV4500 shaft for the GM trucks fit quite well without having to do any spacing for the length.

Good Luck with your project!

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I had thought about using the whole drive train, but I have not checked into the front shaft yet. Do you know if it comes out on the right like a Cruiser?

I don't want to loose my full floater, which is why I had shied away from a centred diff, but I suppose it would be a whole lot easier than making the engine fit my H55f. I think that the 5 speed is an R151f, but I am not sure. This one is out of a 2wd, so it would not work if I used anything other than the engine.

I'm still not certain which engine I will go with, but after seeing your swap, I am more inclined toward the D4-D.

Cheers,

Josh

Thanks Todd,

I had thought about using the whole drive train, but I have not checked into the front shaft yet. Do you know if it comes out on the right like a Cruiser?

I don't want to loose my full floater, which is why I had shied away from a centred diff, but I suppose it would be a whole lot easier than making the engine fit my H55f. I think that the 5 speed is an R151f, but I am not sure. This one is out of a 2wd, so it would not work if I used anything other than the engine.

I'm still not certain which engine I will go with, but after seeing your swap, I am more inclined toward the D4-D.

Cheers,

Josh

In '95 I think it was Toyota changed the front output to the left on the Hilux's. But I believe the '94 t-case will swap to a '95.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom