My slow '78 Mustard Yellow build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

everything looks great! keep up the great work

Great build, wish I had more time to follow these builds.

Good luck.

Rbo

My son Jack was born on 9-20-08! :clap:He was born with a cleft lip and a cleft palatte, but the doctors say its an easy fix. He dosen't seem to notice. Here is a pic of him. Also my new to me 34X9.5's on steelies. Thanks motoloco!
IMG_18172.jpg
DSCN4211.jpg
DSCN4205.jpg

I'm trying to determine if I have stock springs or not. I don't know how to ID them.

It looks like the front shackles are not stock, I measured them at 4.75" center to center. I think I read the stock ones are 3.5"? They seem to have decent angles.

The rears are adjustable. Is this stock?

Does anyone think i'll need a lift with these tires? I've never had this thing off road and I don't know how much it will articulate.
DSCN4208.jpg
DSCN4206.jpg
DSCN4207.jpg

Nice work so far. Wish I was that ambitious. Yes the shackles are not stock. As for the springs hard to tell. It looks like your steering stabilizer has been added (mounting oint welded to side of frame). Keep up the good work. More importantly congrats on the baby.

Here's a photo of my front suspension. Not stock, 4" lift (MAF). Also second bolt on stabilizer that the PO had put on. As for lift or no lift, with those tires I think a 4" lift would seem appropriate. Hope the photos helps.
IMG_4142.jpg
IMG_4143.jpg

Alkarich,

You appear to have several more inches of room between the axle and the bumpstop than I do so i'll assume I have stock springs. Thanks for the pics! I'm probably going to have to remove the PO installed steering damper mount because that is about where i'm going to mount the FJ-80 PS box.

Beaufort-fj60,

Thanks! We are probably the biggest MR2 shop in the country, MR2's all over the place. Whenever I need a toyota part I check the MR2 parts bins first. I've got a couple of modded MR2 parts on the cruiser already.

Its been a while! I have made some progress too. I actually got to drive my cruiser for the first time in 11 years on Saturday!!:bounce:

It ran great the little I drove it. The clutch seemed to work fine and the brakes worked. The steering is still as scary as ever. I still have Lots to do. Since my last post I have:

1. Built a rear crossmember from mr2 suspension parts.
2. Cleaned out the fuel tank and lines.
3. Installed clear fuel line that is immune to Bio Diesel.
4. Finalized motor mount locations, still need some added bracing.
5. Mounted the diesel fuel filter.
6. Had the radiator cleaned out and checked.
7. Installed the radiator with flex hoses.
8. Re-worked the heater control valve that came with the diesel.
9. Installed heater hoses.
10. Rebuilt front heater with Shanes's kit.
11. Rebuilt rear heater motor.
12. Installed new seal on t-case rear output, its still leaking!!:mad:
13. Built 2 new battery trays for the dual batteries.
14. Built a shorter rear drive shaft, trued to within .008". I used the Double cardan end from the front of a mini truck and the other end was the stock shaft. The slip yokes are the same so it was an easy swap. I just eyeballed the phase of the yokes because the stock mini truck shaft was not 100% in phase anyway.
15. Redrilled the e-brake drum for the Double cardan pattern.
16. installed a new ignition switch.
17. cleaned some of the rust off the front rotors.

and lots of other little things.

I still need to:

1. Build an exhaust.
2. Install some seats.
3. Install the power steering and the hydraulic winch.
4. Put the hard top and doors back on.
5. Suspension lift and new shocks.
6. Build a shifter.

I'll upload some pics later.

Todd

man looks like you are real handy in the shop I wish I had fab skills like that. Cruiser is lookin real good but your smile was a mile wide when you finally got that first spin around the block in.

Congrats on the baby! I had my boy on the 23rd! Pretty amazing, huh?

So I put the seats in it, built a mostly 3" exhaust with a muffler, put on the hard top and doors and got it inspected! :bounce:

I drove it home last night smiling all the way!! 5th gear is scary!

The suspension is horrible and so is the steering. The shocks are rusty so they don't absorb too well and the springs and bushings are stiff with rust.

1st gear is unuseable on the street because its too low. 5th seems to be high enough for highway cruising if i'm man enough. I need to get a tach and hook up the speedo.

its going to be a good weekend.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom