My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drew, you forgot the most important part:

Given the right tools, the 6 holes that took you 4 hours, only really take 2 minutes.

Good to have friends named UB, eh?

How was the lunch.......Man I want to ditch my cnd101 and build me one of these before you put a patent on this thing......Sweeeeeet. Hope you are as proud of your works as we are jelous.......:D

I am still deciding how to attach the rack. My options are:

1. Weld them to the sheet (warping might be an issue though, that close to the edge). Paint could get tricky as well, as the lid and rack will be different colors.

2. Create a "bottom" by welding some 1" strap to the bases of the little rack spacer thingy (technical term :D) and bolting them through the lid.

3. Weld little "L"s onto the inside of several legs and bolt it down that way.

Whatta' ya thinks?

Rezarf <><

In my opinion (opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.) you should weld it down and really take your time welding being sure not to over heat it and warp it. I very much prefer the clean look of a weld over that of bolts and rivets.

What made you decide to put the sheet on the inside of the square tube? Just curious.

I liked the look of that from the begining, so that is what I stayed with. Just an aesthetic thing to me.

IMPRESSIVE, looking good

Thanks bud.

Drew, you forgot the most important part:

Given the right tools, the 6 holes that took you 4 hours, only really take 2 minutes.

Good to have friends named UB, eh?

Uncle Ben has bailed me out more than once now! :D Thanks Kevin! and you too Isaac!

How was the lunch.......Man I want to ditch my cnd101 and build me one of these before you put a patent on this thing......Sweeeeeet. Hope you are as proud of your works as we are jelous.......:D

Yeah, it has been fun, but I am feeling CM08 breathing down my neck, I appreciate the kind words, I am proud of it... and dying to use it!

I didn't do anything except mess the holes up the first time. I wouldn't thank me for that... :D

I did provide excellent company while botching your trailer though... LOL

rezarf, how is the trailer coming along?

rezarf, how is the trailer coming along?

Any progress this weekend?

Been out of town for a full week. Blizzards in Eastern Colorado put us in a day later than expected... about a half hour ago we got in. :(

We are safe and we saw lots of carnage on the roads... worst stuff I have ever seen and it was SCARY!

Gonna try to make progress during the evenings now.

Glad you made it safely

Thanks mate!

Well, I have decided I am going to try to knock out a few hours every day/evening till this thing is done. I welded the lid frame up and ground it smooth tonight and also fitted the sheet metal for the lid and ground off the galvanized coating where I will be welding.

No real pics, maybe some when there is something to show for it.

Knocked out the welding on the lid frame last night. I have to add to gussetts then I can weld the sheet on top of it. Should have it close to finished tonight.

I have a question though. I talked about it before, but I have to make a call now. I have 8 thats right, 8, yakima 1A towers in the garage, to mount my RTT with. I am trying to decide if I should weld in an "L" and create a rain gutter on the lid to mount these to or go another route.

They make little prefabbed mounts but the cost about a gazillion bucks each. And I don't think I have the time I need for a fully custom rack. Think the "L" bracket woud be too heavy? I am going to use 3/4" .125" thick material to make the rain gutter.

Thanks, you guys have kept me moving on this, and I appreciate all the insight and opinions... most of the time. :D

rack

Why not fab a rack just like the one on the front box, with two extra cross bars to support the tent. So when your not hauling your tent, you would have and extra tie down area. I havn't chimed in for some time, this is one sweet build.

Lou

Why not fab a rack just like the one on the front box, with two extra cross bars to support the tent. So when your not hauling your tent, you would have and extra tie down area. I haven't chimed in for some time, this is one sweet build.

Lou

Thanks Lou- fab time and weight are both issues. Another custom rack would add more steel to an already overbuilt trailer. Where I can add just a few pieces of sheet metal to make the clamps I have fit. Time is getting shorter as I approach CM08! :D

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I got the lid roughed out tonight.

Last night I knocked out the welds on the lid frame, it was an easy job but it takes time to make it look right and be strong and be square. :D

I am using a De Walt flap disk and must say it is lasting and lasting... well worth the extra coin IMHO.

Then I had to grind off the galvanized coating on my lid sheet metal. No biggie, I busted out the Rapid Strip tool from northern and it made quick work of it. FWIW, I laid the tube frame over the sheet and traced the outline of the tubing onto the sheet so I knew what to remove.

Then I had to square the tubing up to the sheet. No biggie but this is how it went down...
lid1.JPG
lid2.JPG
lid3.JPG

Last edited:
Then I measured off my weld marks so they would be nice and even when I am done. After all that was done and I rechecked it about a zillion times I clamped down the back end and worked my way forwards. I used a clamp about every 4-6 inches and worked from the center out, then started to move in about 2ft sections forward, alternating sides as not to warp the sheet metal. I made heavy tack-welds to make sure it stayed put.

After it was all tacked up, it was time to flip it over and see how it would actually look. I am getting stoked as I see the body come together and, my sides are going to be picked up tomorrow! :D
lid4.JPG
lid5.JPG
lid6.JPG

One more for the peanut gallery... you know who you are! :D

It is amazing how quick the sheet adds weight, I now know why guys tube their cruisers out! :D

I am going to start the stitch welds tomorrow if I have time between work and heading to our Rising Sun meeting. More as I get it done...
lid7.JPG

I've been watching this thread for quite a while, and I am mighty impressed. In the next couple years I hope to follow in your fine footsteps. I would recommend one thing to make this really legendary. Reading through the forum is fine, but to really see the build up, I nominate a page dedicated to the build process, with some commentary and the such specific to the major steps.

Looking good Drew. I've been watching this build, but haven't posted up yet. I hope to see it out on the trails soon. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom