My Mini-truck Power Steering Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let's try again. the working diameter of the power steering pump pulley is not its OD but the ID of the belt as it sits in the pulley "V" groove.
get it?

I've got the High Pressure PS Line that came with my JT Outfitters Mini Truck PS Kit and it's leaking.

The conversion line that comes with the kit suggests it is metric on one end and standard on the other. So my SQOD is how do I know which end is which?

Others have suggested it doesn't matter, then I've read others had to put a "nipple" on end to seal properly?

YSCLMEa.jpg

power-steering-conversion-line-toyota-gearbox-saginaw-pump-high-pressure-hose-pi-4774.html
power-steering-conversion-line-toyota-gearbox-saginaw-pump-high-pressure-hose-pi-4774.html

The threads look similar and are close but are different. The pump gets the 5/8 fitting and power steering get 16mm threaded end. After a couple years my rag joint disintegrated on a hill, not good trust me. This is what I added from Flaming River, it has the correct splines for power steering interface and a .750 bore for stock steering shaft. You will have to pin it to your shaft but no play and very solid. One of the best mods I’ve done, power steering
FC54A8E1-8E24-41CB-868C-82B936BE0336.jpeg

I’m not sure but I could not find it anywhere in my area.
Buy it on the internet and they will ship it to your door. You will not find this at your local parts store. Maybe you can have 4Wheelparts order one but with the Toyota spline on one end and .750 bore on other end it’s pretty special and custom made in USA! Flaming River had a huge selection for many applications.Personnally I avoid Napa parts on my rig.

Glad to see this is to helpful to folks 13 years later.

Yes it was very helpful to me last year!! Very good write up. Thank You!!
JP

Glad to see this is to helpful to folks 13 years later.
I have 35's and a factory ps on my 81 and shop I sent to cant fix it. I read that 33's are about max. Do you think it will be a good option? Having problems finding another factory that doesn't cost as much as I paid for the truck.

I have 35's and a factory ps on my 81 and shop I sent to cant fix it. I read that 33's are about max. Do you think it will be a good option? Having problems finding another factory that doesn't cost as much as I paid for the truck.

Sorry, I dont know how this would work on 35's. I know people with 35's tend to go GM Saginaw

I realize this thread is older, but will be helping me a lot with my install soon.

I saw that people were saying 33's are the cap for a mini truck. Is this true?

I believe so . I think for something bigger you need a saginaw. Nice to see something I did 17 years ago still has some value

I believe so . I think for something bigger you need a saginaw. Nice to see something I did 17 years ago still has some value
Yeah this stuff ages well, but I mean If I run bigger tires what is going to happen. Is it not going to have as much power to it? Or will I be causing damage.

If you run tires taller than a 33, then at full turn the inside of the driver front will hit the TRE at the pitman arm. That will eventually bend the TRE and/or relay rod. Not safe ……..

We have been making these PS brackets for a number of years now if anybody is interested.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

So there is no way around it, 33s are the absolute max for a mini truck conversion?

Edit: Would beefing up the whole steering system help?

Last edited:
I had 35s on my 40 that had a mini truck PS box and the tire contacting the drag link was a problem. When I mounted the box, I located the link as close to the frame as possible. I had to adjust the steering stops to prevent this problem and that limits your turning radius a bit, but that will help prevent you from breaking a birfield at full lock.

As far as the steering effort it is all relative. It takes more effort to turn 35s, but compared to manual steering PS is always better.

I realize this thread is older, but will be helping me a lot with my install soon.

I saw that people were saying 33's are the cap for a mini truck. Is this true?
I installed a mini truck box and GM pump a few years ago. I’m running 33x12.5 and there’s plenty of assist. If I wanted 35s, I would run them on this set up, after checking clearance on the drag link. I still have the stock steering wheel which adds some leverage in my favor too.

My kit was TJ outfitters and I had to re work the steering box tower a bit. It wasn’t putting the box perfectly in line with the column. I didn’t want the rag joint getting a workout every time I turn, so I did some cutting and welding and drilling. Turned out great and really increased my enjoyment of driving.

So there is no way around it, 33s are the absolute max for a mini truck conversion?

Edit: Would beefing up the whole steering system help?

Why are you trying so hard to make this work? Multiple people with experience have pretty much answered your question.
IMHO, it’s a SAFETY risk to run anything bigger than a 33x10.50. I’ve seen my share of bent relay rods and TREs.
There’s a better ( MUCH BETTER ) alternative for guys running larger tires and we all know what that is ….. SAG. It’s stronger , less complicated, less components snd parts are readily available.
Ultimately, it’s your cruiser and you can do whatever you want. I’m just being brutally honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom