My Land Cruiser (FJ62) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my new winter ride! (1989 FJ62 220k). I picked it up for $1,800 a few months ago. I have spent just under a grand on parts, and fluids. I also just ordered the H4/H1 upgrade stuff from Rally Lights for $450 :rolleyes: ($1,000 Hakka tires are next on the list 😬)

This is how she looked when I bought her.

IMG_20200717_133036.jpg

This was after a good bath. Trailered it home because the seller lost the title and AK's DMV took 6 weeks to send a replacement. :frown:

IMG_0326.JPG

While I waited for the title, she got new wheel bearings, new rotors, T100 calipers, master cyl, and booster. Another good clean and I started polishing (the black stuff in the first pic is from birch trees and it doesn't just wash off.) It took many hours of elbow grease. When I got to the interior I found a nasty surprise on my darn near rust free Cruiser. Something leaked, (still don't know what) and because the car sat for a few years, it rotted the driver's floorboard from the inside. This is where my father gets all the credit, he did a great job cutting it out and welding a new plate in. Sorry, I somehow didn't take a picture before reinstalling the carpet.

PXL_20200920_194137911.NIGHT.jpg

This one is from yesterday. About 800mi on her so far.

PXL_20201014_234532702.jpg

I tore apart and replaced the rear washer hose and a bunch of other little things, but there's still a lot of little problems.
Auto-cancel doesn't work on the turn signals, electric locks, dome light, plate lights, electric windows, door seals, etc are all in various stages of disrepair.

However, I'm having trouble finding a few things and I'm thinking you guys might have some better resources.
Drivers side mirror or glass for the electric style (This is the most important one)
Driver's seat fabric, or a matching door card to repair it with. (Blue-Gray interior)
Little round cover for the rear washer tank.
Little chrome piece (pic) Thanks, @RodrigzCrzr
2hi/4low chrome diagram that goes on the t-case knob (Not important at all, but it would be cool to have)

That's all for now, I'd love to put an H55 in it someday, but the auto seems ok for now. And I have to find a 5L for my previously 2L powered '85 minitruck (Hilux elsewhere) first :/

If you have comments on anything I'd love to hear 'em!

PXL_20201015_173933207.jpg

Last edited:
Nice save on this truck. Really needed some love on the paint, no?

Nice find ! Cleaned up well.
I may have the little chrome lock for you.

If others need chrome clip. They are very much available new still.

75596-90A00 - Chrome moulding clip/cover
36303-60130 - transfer case knob (shift diagram plate isn't separate)

Round cover for washer tank...do you mean the cover that goes on trim panel or the cap to reservoir?
64739-90K01-B0 - round cover, shadow gray
85332-20050 - washer tank cap

@Ocho77 Thanks!

@onemanarmy Well, the previous owner gave me a set of 16s for this truck. However after I bought and mounted the new tires I found out they didn't actually fit. The roads are bad here right now, so I bought the first set of 16in rims I found. The color isn't my favorite, but I'm not too worried about that. They'll be full of snow most of the winter :)

@mattressking Wow thanks for the part numbers!

Nice find! I’ve been looking for mesh headlight covers for a 62 forever!

this thread: Turn Signal Fix using parts from a 1983 Toyota Pickup | Page 2 | IH8MUD Forum from the 60 FAQs at the top of the page outlines how to replace your turn signal/headlight switch. If you read through it you will see the brown donut shaped piece (post #31 second pic) that cancels the turn signals when you return the wheel. If you take your switch out you may be able to repair the actual problem. The plastic piece has 3 small nipples that fit into holes on the backside of the steering wheel. It's possible that someone took the wheel off and when they put it back on didn't line up the nipples in the holes.

Before you remove your steering wheel put a scratch mark or punch marks together where the wheel and stem touch at 12 oclock position. This way you can put it back on the stem splines in the correct position with the steering wheel emblem straight, not cock eyed, while your front tires are pointing straight ahead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't get notified for some reason. I appreciate the info, it'll be a good opportunity to straighten the steering wheel too!

It hit a balmy -35f this morning. Cold weather makes a feller appreciate the inefficiency of these old motors!
this thread: Turn Signal Fix using parts from a 1983 Toyota Pickup | Page 2 | IH8MUD Forum from the 60 FAQs at the top of the page outlines how to replace your turn signal/headlight switch. If you read through it you will see the brown donut shaped piece (post #31 second pic) that cancels the turn signals when you return the wheel. If you take your switch out you may be able to repair the actual problem. The plastic piece has 3 small nipples that fit into holes on the backside of the steering wheel. It's possible that someone took the wheel off and when they put it back on didn't line up the nipples in the holes.

Before you remove your steering wheel put a scratch mark or punch marks together where the wheel and stem touch at 12 oclock position. This way you can put it back on the stem splines in the correct position with the steering wheel emblem straight, not cock eyed, while your front tires are pointing straight ahead.

Howdy y'all,

I'm afraid my cruiser's rear end has developed a lot of slop. (loud clunk / truck shakes when shifting in every gear) I tightened the pinion nut and that helped for ~1k miles but it's worse than ever now. I'm obviously going to replace stuff back there, and I'm planning on an Auburn LSD while I'm at it. My question to you guys is: Given that this axle has 210k+ on it, what would you replace, and does someone have a list of all the bearings and whatnot that I should do while I'm in there?

I only want to do this once, cost isn't much of a a factor here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom