Builds My Hawaiian 1975 Fj40 Resto-resurrection (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since this 40 will run topless year around, I always knew half doors were in my future. The door’s that came with it were horribly rusted out at the base and would require extensive metal work to get them ready for the additional metal fabrication to create them into halfdoors.
An opportunity came up to get some premade halfdoors from a company called Sychopaths. The doors arrived via England and the box looked to be in pretty rough shape. Fortunately, the doors didn’t seemed damaged from the shipping.
3CECD056-263F-441F-A3E3-9594566BC859.jpeg

Even though the doors weren’t damaged in shipping, there were several fitment issues that needed to be addressed in order for them to fit. The doors didn’t close all the way because the hit the lower rubber dash pads. Metal had to be removed and an indentation added to the door to close properly. Fortunately, the company covered most of the cost of the figment issue fixes.

Also added a door limiter tab to utilize the factory door limiter mechanism. Lastly added some nutcerts to be able to use the factory door grabs.
98FEB0DA-2F5C-4EBC-8CA2-7D71ECB160E7.jpeg

A8CE7CE2-24D9-44BA-9DF7-59766453001F.jpeg

There was also this hideous partially welded seam that went right down the most noticeable part of the door IMO. I knew I couldn’t live with that so had the seam welded all the way up and body work done to make it look acceptable. Looks great after the work and body color matched paint.
IMG_2080.jpeg

IMG_2085.jpeg

New replacement mirrors came in to swap out the convex mirrors. I really think the rectangular ones with the rubber surrounds fit the look of my 40 much better. Plus, I just like the non distorted view of these.
IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

One happy owner!

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2151.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

Such a beautiful little cruiser!!

Since this 40 will run topless year around, I always knew half doors were in my future. The door’s that came with it were horribly rusted out at the base and would require extensive metal work to get them ready for the additional metal fabrication to create them into halfdoors.
An opportunity came up to get some premade halfdoors from a company called Sychopaths. The doors arrived via England and the box looked to be in pretty rough shape. Fortunately, the doors didn’t seemed damaged from the shipping.
View attachment 3586330

Even though the doors weren’t damaged in shipping, there were several fitment issues that needed to be addressed in order for them to fit. The doors didn’t close all the way because the hit the lower rubber dash pads. Metal had to be removed and an indentation added to the door to close properly. Fortunately, the company covered most of the cost of the figment issue fixes.

Also added a door limiter tab to utilize the factory door limiter mechanism. Lastly added some nutcerts to be able to use the factory door grabs.
View attachment 3586328
View attachment 3586329
There was also this hideous partially welded seam that went right down the most noticeable part of the door IMO. I knew I couldn’t live with that so had the seam welded all the way up and body work done to make it look acceptable. Looks great after the work and body color matched paint.
View attachment 3586331
View attachment 3586332
Too bad about the doors. It seems the issues you had to fix aren’t year specific and should’ve been dealt with at the point of manufacture. Is it that hard to build a product that people want, that’s not half-***ed?

A couple of glamour shots with the windshield down. 😍
IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg

IMG_2220.jpeg

Don't forget to use the hooks on the hood if you plan to drive with the windshield down
Can’t drive with the windshield down (other than slow speeds) because the hood hooks don’t reach the windshield tabs. They are OEM hood hooks, so not entirely sure why they don’t reach. But not planning on doing much windshield down driving anyways.

Too bad about the doors. It seems the issues you had to fix aren’t year specific and should’ve been dealt with at the point of manufacture. Is it that hard to build a product that people want, that’s not half-***ed?
Yeah, looks like the doors were designed to work in late model non USA Fj40’s that don’t have upper dash pads or the lower rubber dash pads.

Yeah, looks like the doors were designed to work in late model non USA Fj40’s that don’t have upper dash pads or the lower rubber dash pads.
Maybe with your feedback, they’ll make them more universal. And bump up the overall quality…

Maybe with your feedback, they’ll make them more universal. And bump up the overall quality…
A lot of feedback was given, hopefully it translates into changes.

Yeah, looks like the doors were designed to work in late model non USA Fj40’s that don’t have upper dash pads or the lower rubber dash
Maybe they could just provide instructions on how to remove the rubber pads.? They're not exactly a style accessory imho
Get that dash naked.

Maybe they could just provide instructions on how to remove the rubber pads.? They're not exactly a style accessory imho
Get that dash naked.
Wouldn’t have worked for my build, as I think the upper and lower dash pads are essential to the classic look of a north American 40. But I was going for a factory original look on mine.
IMG_1996.jpeg

Also, the door hit the metal part of the dash as well, so needs some metal fabrication anyways.

Last edited:
It came time to get the OEM roll bar restored and installed. As much as I love driving the 40 with it completely open and topless, 2 issues came up. Driving in general, but especially on the freeway at 60 mph seemed way more sketchy without the added safety of a roll bar. Also, the frequent rain we get here in Hawaii, albeit warm and in short durations, made me want to install a bikini top for some wet weather protection.
The roll bar was stripped down and all rust was sanded down and treated with a phosphoric acid treatment. Then primed and painted satin black.
IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

Roll bar pads were degreased and scrubbed. Then sprayed down with a fluid film treatment to bring back a little shine.
IMG_2448.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

New hardware from Metric Overland was used to secure it all down to the body. Overall I am extremely happy with how it cleaned up and looks. Not sure how much actual protection it would provide in an accident, but certainly provides some mental comfort knowing it is there.

Last edited:
I purchased a bikini top from Bestop along with the windshield attachment a while back.
IMG_2454.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

The windshield frame attachment was secured in the OEM bolt holes along the top of the frame. I also cut a strip of thin rubber inner tube as a gasket between the two metal pieces.
IMG_2493.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

Install and uninstall takes less then a minute or two, so will be able to take the bikini top off when needed. Overall fit is just OK, even thought the company says it fits an fj40, it seems like it’s made for a jeep and can fit a 40…just not very well. But it will work for my needs until I get something else.

I purchased a bikini top from Bestop along with the windshield attachment a while back.
View attachment 3593431
View attachment 3593430

The windshield frame attachment was secured in the OEM bolt holes along the top of the frame. I also cut a strip of thin rubber inner tube as a gasket between the two metal pieces.
View attachment 3593432
View attachment 3593433

Install and uninstall takes less then a minute or two, so will be able to take the bikini top off when needed. Overall fit is just OK, even thought the company says it fits an fj40, it seems like it’s made for a jeep and can fit a 40…just not very well. But it will work for my needs until I get something else.

Nice to see one of these two piece tracks attached by drilling the channels not sheet metal screws into the windshield frame. My 79 was not as lucky along with a couple loose windshields I have.

Hey Jen, love those half doors. I googled Sychopaths, but nothing useful came up. Can you provide a link for them?

Nice to see one of these two piece tracks attached by drilling the channels not sheet metal screws into the windshield frame. My 79 was not as lucky along with a couple loose windshields I have.
I didn’t have to drill, the windshield frame had 7 evenly distributed holes that had capture nuts behind them. They weren’t even nutcerts that a PO could have put in, but looked to be factory holes for 10mm bolts. Maybe I have a factory soft top windshield frame??

Hey Jen, love those half doors. I googled Sychopaths, but nothing useful came up. Can you provide a link for them?
I will PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom