My first '40 and the venture (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decide to take on the rust below the dash pad and windshield frame. – die grinder & hand sanding what I could, then painted on Rust Converter x2 with a tiny brush – let it cure – [epoxy primer for bare metal and Rust Converter, light sanding and repeat]. Today, 3 coats for that rattle-can-resto. Not a bad job of color match. oops didn't get a photo when done. Oh well.

Next up will be 1000 grit wet sand – if that is good, will decide if compound wax or straight to polish. I know, people won’t see it, but I will know.

IMG_9978.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg

Slowly with the roof… recap – visor was not riveted to roof and had rust.

Never welded, so this is Dark Arts. I decided to summon my only defense to the dark arts of welding = my checkbook.

They chem dipped to strip paint vs sandblast, welded in patch metal, and primed it for me to paint.

Now I need to paint and rivet it to the roof then work on the rust in the drip rail and the bolts that broke off in the roof drip. Maybe get a headliner for it while it is off and just be done with a project for a change.

Decided to get a bikini top and drive the summer topless – Assuming I get the engine all resolved. Ha! – Goal is to button it all up by fall.

The Community College teaches welding– may take it

IMG_9066.jpg

20230424_130327.JPG

20230502_150345.JPG

Now i need to look at mine more thoroughly … I have little movement with the paperclip test.

More of my journey... and why, like Sammy Hagar "I can't drive... 55!"

Two carbs, no secondary on either and I think I figured out why. Link to my video if you care.

I can't drive 55

(I'm thinking neither of us can drive 55 but different reasons - floor vs ceiling :steer:)
What is binding the secondary up on that second carb? Have you figured that out yet?

What is binding the secondary up on that second carb? Have you figured that out yet?
I haven't figure it out yet - between work trip and daughter graduating from college... I guess life outside a FJ40 happens too.

My thought is a can of carb cleaner and see if I can loosen it up without taking it apart - else dip it to make sure it is clean. And I'm going to make sure the spring/stopper (technical term) where the secondary diaphragm is correct and not binding there.

While I wish I could get it right the first time (or second) - I know way more about Aisan Carbs than before and still learning - so I got that going for me.

I'm thinking I will secure the spring for the first carb and put that on and see - while I work on the other carb

More of my journey... and why, like Sammy Hagar "I can't drive... 55!"

Two carbs, no secondary on either and I think I figured out why. Link to my video if you care.

I can't drive 55

(I'm thinking neither of us can drive 55 but different reasons - floor vs ceiling :steer:)
Pretty sure Toyota never really expected the 40 to do much more than 55 on a regular basis. It was a back-country vehicle. If you put most of your miles off road,
your truck will last longer going slow.
I bought an FJ40, brand new , in 1978. It was my very first "car".
It was never fast. Not even in the top fastest 50 cars on the road. So what does a 19y/o do when he finds the car he loves is slow? You break all the tools and start modifying.
After ten years of changing steering, suspension and drive trains, my FJ40, now V-8 powered , pulled the 6% grade on the I-17 , north of PHX , at 108 MPH..
It was stable at that speed but the steering and suspension were not stock. It still did much better off road than a stock 40 and now also was incredibly fun on the pavement

Pretty sure Toyota never really expected the 40 to do much more than 55 on a regular basis. It was a back-country vehicle. If you put most of your miles off road,
your truck will last longer going slow.
I bought an FJ40, brand new , in 1978. It was my very first "car".
It was never fast. Not even in the top fastest 50 cars on the road. So what does a 19y/o do when he finds the car he loves is slow? You break all the tools and start modifying.
After ten years of changing steering, suspension and drive trains, my FJ40, now V-8 powered , pulled the 6% grade on the I-17 , north of PHX , at 108 MPH..
It was stable at that speed but the steering and suspension were not stock. It still did much better off road than a stock 40 and now also was incredibly fun on the pavement
Thanks! - I'm picking up what you're dropping.

I'm ok going slow - leaned to fly out of Deer Valley there in PHX with a Piper PA-12 (basically a cub) - flew with elbow/arm sticking out the window. Stop and smell the roses? Heck no, I can drive at sniffing speed.

For now, I'd like to be the tractor passing the John Deere's not the other way around. Plus if you never drove in Nebraska... they (mainly farmers) have this "thing" where when you attempt to pass, they will not look at you passing and instead focus their efforts on the gas pedal and speed up. Before you know it, doing 80 mph in a 55 to pass someone now doing 79.92 mph.

And yes - I would like to be on the interstate - there is a whole lot of nothing to see. I do want to redo the suspension completely, power steering and other comforts to enjoy it. Just can't donate all the blood at once. For now, I want things to work properly on the car, and can modify when ready to donate more blood. (Plus I really want your rear bumper sooner vs later).

Got a few things done today by "calling in well" at work.

Got a rattle can of 033 White made for the roof visor - a few coats and waited for it to flash in between - then put 2 layers of Top Coat on - Next up for that is to find rivets and give that a whack. Literally.

So while I was on travel last week, I decided to get some bling going too. Pick up the goods from powder coat this am - (got the call yesterday it was ready - so that is why I called in well). Valve Cover, Air Cleaner, parts of the linkages, and also got the intake/exhaust ceramic. Put on new valve nuts too.

Got all put together - to test out one of the two carbs (the 77) - I secured a spring that was missing - the other may wait until the weekend to trouble shoot. Was fun to drive a few miles. Will post what I am seeing with it later in the week.

Video is it running before I took it out for a drive...

Lipstick on a??.... Don't say Pig (video)

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0543.jpeg

IMG_0494 2.jpg

70664832985__6BCD0E78-AB5C-4344-9821-A2FED712222D.jpeg

Lots of little stuff over the weekend – The seatbelts were frayed and colors mismatched – yes part of the charm and history of this version of Adult Legos but the OCD is strong.

Sent them out to get restored. They sewed the old tabs on the new belts.

One thing I was wondering, as I’m thinking about going without the top this summer, is where the retractable part goes when the sides are off? I figured out I don’t have the correct roll bar. (should be a bracket on the roll bar closest to the seats that the retractable part attaches to).

I have a few feelers out there. I see some aftermarket solutions too if the feelers don’t pan out.

Sensing a road trip.

IMG_0136.jpeg

IMG_0145.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

20150418_152720.jpg

Polish the knobs and enjoy the short-lived victory. Also the vent shields or whatever the proper name is.

Need to find best way to get the lettering highlighted. I see some posts in the FAQ.

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg

Decided to dig into the OEM seats in have and see about restoring them. Well one at a time. Spent time figuring out how they come apart. I did take the rear seats all the way out. I’m going to clean them all up too. I'm going to get the rear seat frames powdered. I think i found the period correct grey the seat frame, front set back cover, and the roll bars are colored (why I am doing one). Also get the seat bottom to powder too.

The tracks are really hard to roll/slide. Getting them to slide easier is like asking the sun to rise from the West. Lots of years of gunk in the tracks etc.

The cushion on the back is looking good, so I got that going for me.

IMG_0666.PNG

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

Saw a couple unicorns in Wisconsin this morning - a 1962 & 1983. The 83 has 41k miles on it. It was purchased with the sole intention of snow plowing. Saw the window sticker from the when purchased from dealer. Was cool to touch the “Land Cruiser” stamped bezel on the 1962!

Well I got what I was after and a smidge more. Pushing it back home to make the Amateur Autopsy meeting at the Quonset tonight. It is ‘Open Mike Night’ 🤪🤦‍♂️

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a call from the Doc last night while playing Keno at the Skee-ball Emporium ... there is room for one final health check and perhaps pre-op next weekend and a long rehab.

I will notify authorities I will be leaving/crossing multiple state lines down to KC - there was already 1 low speed chase back in the mid-90's - that still is plenty for the nation.

Keno didn't play out - so need a new side hustle for the surgery.

Introducing the Loosing Lottery Numbers subscription service. For just $10 a week, I'll tell ya if your favorite numbers will win you millions or just disappoint you again. No more wasting your hard-earned bucks on kids birthdays, license plate numbers, etc. Send $10 to Box1: Instant Millions, Nebraska

That should do it!

I did do a few odd projects - will post that to document - need to get roof back on and ready to transport by next weekend. That is the real priority this weekend.

Cheers everyone

made a bling drip the other day with the correct roll bars, seats, etc. Going with "Traffic Grey B" powder - think it is close - enough for me - and it will all be the same color (which I really prefer).

IMG_0971.jpeg

Pict of powder chip and seat back. Not sure when will get done - Then will get the remaining colors done if truly will be out for a while... will see what next weekend brings.

IMG_0985.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom