Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got to take the Boys out to the DNWR... we drove 44 and almost froze with the cold air from that beautiful blower/cooler/vent we made. I took it off as soon as we arrived at our hiking location. It was windy and cold out there on Monday!!

We hiked almost 4 miles total, but nothing strenuous... no real incline... just up a drainage and back.

Too cold for snakes... the Boys had a great time FROLICKING in the gravel and through the brush and I loved watching them!!

I am seriously considering selling 44... I didn't think I would ever reach this point, but lately, I hurt so damned bad two days after I drive her, or one day after I work on her that it kinda ruins the enjoyment of driving her. I haven't made a decision yet and probably won't for another year… I need to see how much I use her by this time next year... but, I'm seriously considering it.

I spliced a new floor mat into the driver's pan... I cut the "Toyota" off the old one and glued it to the new.... then I was laid up for two days again...

IMG_2460.JPG

Well said, Ryan!!

As I said, I never expected to reach this point... frankly, I never expected to outlive my expiration date either.
After I had cancer in 2005, I wasn't expected to live this long... while, I'm basically in good health, I always have that in the back of my mind. I don't want to leave Dianna to have to deal with 44 when I'm gone.

But, as I said, I haven't yet decided to let 44 go... I'm giving it a year... I want to see how things work out over the next year. There's always a chance that I'll find a way to mitigate the aches and pains enough to continue using her for the purpose I bought her. But, I'll never keep her, if I can't use her the way I have been. She's too important to watch her sit in the garage, with tears running down her bezel. She perks up when I put the Boys in her and sit in the driver's seat, to read, or look at maps. But, the rest of the time, she's just sad.

This has been another lost spring, due to another surgery. But, the good news, my back doesn't bother me, as long as I sleep on a heating pad and use CBD oil. The CBD helps with the other aches and pains, but not enough. I tried THC and I can't stand it... it makes me nauseous and I itch everywhere.

I could easily drive my Tundra to get to many places. I'd just cut back on the really rough stuff. And I could carry my pontoon in it and be free enough from pain to actually use it and fish places once I get there. I could also tow my travel trailer and live in luxury.

When I go to the high mountains, in 44, I have a great time... here are a lot of streams... but, my hands, elbows and shoulders hurt too badly to hold a flyrod for any period of time. That's the difference in how 44 effects me and how my Tundra effects me.

I'm reasonably sure I'll grow out of this phase and simply continue year-to-year and try to watch for signs for when it's time to sell... but, I'll revisit this in May of 2020 and make my first decision then.

Right now, we're taking the Tundra and Trailer to the Ruby Mountains for a couple of weeks in early June... and to the Conejos River (So Colo for a couple of weeks) in mid July. We'll spend time in the mountains of CO, UT and NM on the way back. BY the time we are back home, it should be cooling down here... assuming it actually gets hot here this year.

As an Old Fart, I get a combo hunting/fishing license for $15/yr... I'm hoping to feel up to hiking back up Lamoille and trying out the Dollar lakes and Lamoille Lake, in the Rubies... but, I'll definitely fish the Conejos this year!!

The last time I fished the time we went to the Conejos, was four years ago. I still had Gunner and my back was too bad to wade... so, I played with the fish behind our campsite. Gunner always loved to kiss the fish I caught.

IMG_0020.JPG

The Conejos River is beautiful (and less than two hours from my house). The river should be running high with this year's snowpack.

Should be!! My Son-in-Law and his buddy participated in a Conejos fishing tournament about a month ago... they took fourth. He said the river was great.

Danny, sorry to hear about your pain, I hope it gets better and/or you find an acceptable way to manage it.

Wanted to let you know that you inspired me to finally get hearing aids -I have had them for about 3 weeks now and really like them. The audiologist is still fiddling with the tinnitus settings to get the best relief but even that is better than it was. In any event, I can now hear what people are saying even in a crowded restaurant and etc., and I don't have to turn the tv volume way up to hear. All kinds of things make noises that I did not know about! Thanks for your example and encouragement.

Danny, sorry to hear about your pain, I hope it gets better and/or you find an acceptable way to manage it.

Wanted to let you know that you inspired me to finally get hearing aids -I have had them for about 3 weeks now and really like them. The audiologist is still fiddling with the tinnitus settings to get the best relief but even that is better than it was. In any event, I can now hear what people are saying even in a crowded restaurant and etc., and I don't have to turn the tv volume way up to hear. All kinds of things make noises that I did not know about! Thanks for your example and encouragement.

Thanks Lee!

So glad you took the plunge!

I don’t know what kind you have or what phone you use... I have an iPhone and GN Resound Linx3D 61 hearing aids.

If you have the same... possibly if you don’t... and need a little more TV sound, you can go to (on iPhone) settings, general, accessibility, MFi Hearing, your aids and turn on Live Listen and you can also hear the TV sound thru your microphones on your hearing aids.

Resound also has an accessory ($349 on Amazon)... I think it’s called TV Streamer 2... it also helps make it easier to hear devices, like TVs.

I don’t need either... my aids are good enough. Hope your’s are too.

It can take several months to train your brain to become fully accustomed to the hearing aids.

Good luck with them!!

It’s sure hard to remember to remove them before taking a shower... I haven’t damaged them, but have caught myself four times.

What?

Huh?

What did you say?

Yeah sure!

The life of being deaf.

I went to an audiologist that carries Resound (and other brands) on your recommendation, and even asked about them. After my hearing test (profound hearing loss in high frequencies), she recommended Oticon hearing aids, another Danish brand (like Resound) and they have similar features - tinnitus relief, bluetooth connection with my iphone, etc. She offered to let me try the Resounds if I want, but she thought the Oticons might fit my needs better, and I like them really well so far. Talking on the phone is a whole new experience; I can hear every word in my hearing aids now. Such a difference! I used to hate talking on the phone, because I couldn't hear half of what was said. She said I was probably reading lips previously, whether I realized it or not.

Oticon does sell a direct connection to tv, but I don't think I need it. Don't watch all that much anyway. Haven't forgotten them in the shower yet, but I'm sure I will sooner or later.

Well said, Ryan!!

As I said, I never expected to reach this point... frankly, I never expected to outlive my expiration date either.
After I had cancer in 2005, I wasn't expected to live this long... while, I'm basically in good health, I always have that in the back of my mind. I don't want to leave Dianna to have to deal with 44 when I'm gone.

But, as I said, I haven't yet decided to let 44 go... I'm giving it a year... I want to see how things work out over the next year. There's always a chance that I'll find a way to mitigate the aches and pains enough to continue using her for the purpose I bought her. But, I'll never keep her, if I can't use her the way I have been. She's too important to watch her sit in the garage, with tears running down her bezel. She perks up when I put the Boys in her and sit in the driver's seat, to read, or look at maps. But, the rest of the time, she's just sad.

This has been another lost spring, due to another surgery. But, the good news, my back doesn't bother me, as long as I sleep on a heating pad and use CBD oil. The CBD helps with the other aches and pains, but not enough. I tried THC and I can't stand it... it makes me nauseous and I itch everywhere.

I could easily drive my Tundra to get to many places. I'd just cut back on the really rough stuff. And I could carry my pontoon in it and be free enough from pain to actually use it and fish places once I get there. I could also tow my travel trailer and live in luxury.

When I go to the high mountains, in 44, I have a great time... here are a lot of streams... but, my hands, elbows and shoulders hurt too badly to hold a flyrod for any period of time. That's the difference in how 44 effects me and how my Tundra effects me.

I'm reasonably sure I'll grow out of this phase and simply continue year-to-year and try to watch for signs for when it's time to sell... but, I'll revisit this in May of 2020 and make my first decision then.

Right now, we're taking the Tundra and Trailer to the Ruby Mountains for a couple of weeks in early June... and to the Conejos River (So Colo for a couple of weeks) in mid July. We'll spend time in the mountains of CO, UT and NM on the way back. BY the time we are back home, it should be cooling down here... assuming it actually gets hot here this year.

As an Old Fart, I get a combo hunting/fishing license for $15/yr... I'm hoping to feel up to hiking back up Lamoille and trying out the Dollar lakes and Lamoille Lake, in the Rubies... but, I'll definitely fish the Conejos this year!!

The last time I fished the time we went to the Conejos, was four years ago. I still had Gunner and my back was too bad to wade... so, I played with the fish behind our campsite. Gunner always loved to kiss the fish I caught.

View attachment 1984621
Oh damn...... this makes me probably almost as SAD as you! I’ll put in a lil prayer for some ache and pain relief for you - wouldn’t seem right for 44 to be parked in anyone else’s garage but yours :confused:

*Wife and I are on your side of the States for a few days...... saw Napa today - Beautiful here!

Oh damn...... this makes me probably almost as SAD as you! I’ll put in a lil prayer for some ache and pain relief for you - wouldn’t seem right for 44 to be parked in anyone else’s garage but yours :confused:

*Wife and I are on your side of the States for a few days...... saw Napa today - Beautiful here!

Enjoy!!

Is it raining a lot out there?

Wow, just checking in here for the first time in a while Danny. I was thinking about you and about the possibility of visiting the Ruby Mountains as I start planning my route back from South Dakota in my 40 in late July. Looks like you’ll be elsewhere by then.

I need to make a sticky about all this hearing aid info. I have a feeling I’m not far behind you...in that regard!

You need a hot tub. Nuf said.

Last edited:
Enjoy!!

Is it raining a lot out there?
Only ran into a little in Sacramento Tuesday night...... can’t get over how chilly it is here though - we left 90 degree weather in GA!
*I second @65swb45’s hot tub suggestion for you ;)

@imyahucklbrry Michael, Darlene and I have plans for Napa one of these days. I hear it is spendy, bring the bank? I do have another 40 to restore though as well. Danny the pic of you fishing with your trusty companion could only be better if 44 was in there somehow too! Excellent picture.

3rd (or 4th?)

Fully agree - as one of the few millennial (as much as I hate to admit it) 40 owners on this forum, I could barely cope with the losses is Webber Sarge and lostmarbles when they left the group. My 30-something psyche can’t handle all this talk of torch passing! I am, after all, a snowflake.

I need you all to stick around and teach me how to fix this damn thing, and I’ve still got a lot to learn.

On a related note - it freaks me out how few people my age and younger have any interest in keeping these piles of metal alive.

Long story short - we need you to keep 44.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom