Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Danny nice old school A/C unit. I know what you mean going nuts setting around doing nothing. I've watched 4 little birds grow up and leave the nest. Watched the rabbits run around the yard. 1 week and i am able to walk the back yard with a cane 1 lap and back to couch raise leg and ice. I start therapy Friday so things will start moving along. it`s good you are able to get out to the garage and do some light projects.
JP

Thanks JP, it definitely made the time pass faster!!

There are some great British series on NetFlix and some God’s documentaries as well.

Since you have two knees and this is your second replacement, I presume you’re already more familiar than me with recovery.

Just don’t rush it... talking to myself here too.

Cheers!!

I grew up using these coolers in the window and a canvas water bag in front of the radiator. Survived many 120* trips across the desert, before the invention of AC. We didn’t even have swamp coolers at home until I was 8 years old.

I won’t know where I’m going with this until I try it out... it’s mainly to get more air to the boys, in my bed. The bed blocks the air from the kick vent.

Have you heard of running water you old fart?!!

Have you heard of running water you old fart?!!

As you grow and mature, you will learn, Gwasshopper, that water flows. It has no legs and cannot run.

Many a stream I’ve fished flowed between my feet and legs and I was one with the water... zen-like... until a 20+” brown or rainbow hit my nymph... then, I ran to keep up... as the water continued flowing, uninterrupted.

I’ve told this story... but, it bears repeating... we had a pump pumping water from a creek, on our farm in Arkansas, it helped water FLOW out of our kitchen faucet. But, the neighbors kept calling the Revenuers to report our still.

We also had a two-hole outhouse... for those times that you and your best friend had to s*** simultaneously... but, no actual water flowed.

What is the plan for dust control?

Dust from...?

The flat black knee high nylon, will capture insects, etc., just as it does on my snorkel. You can barely see it in the barrel of the bazooka.

I don’t follow anyone off road... if someone happens to be ahead of me, or passes me, I simply pull over until they are out of sight and the dust has settled. The kick vents present the same dust issues.

I did follow Dianna one time, when she towed 44 twenty miles on a very rough dirt road. It was hotter than hell, with the windows up and the vents closed. But, the boys were with her in the Tundra.

I finished my window “blower” and also painted it... now I remember how much I hate painting.

Hope to take a ride tomorrow and see if it’s gonna be worth modifying to accommodate ice/water... e.g. turn it into a swamp cooler.

As I said before, the primary purpose is to direct more air on the boys.

E8A61675-403B-4DE0-AABA-9D5E60DACDBF.jpeg

522E8B2C-3127-41B9-8444-1E65C9659FCB.jpeg

2FF15F47-700B-4E29-BBA9-DFDBCC3FF666.jpeg

My first test of my green powered, old school, window swamp-less cooler was a dismal failure... I felt ZERO air flow.

I had placed a knee-high nylon stocking inside the ram (front), behind the sink-drain screen, to filter particulates from the air.

I didn’t glue the ram-end on, because I knew I would need to remove it periodically.

After removing the ram, I found the stocking was doubled-up and that, in addition to the drain-screen, was simply too restrictive.

I use a knee-high stocking in my snorkel and it works fine... but the snorkel does not use a fine screen at the ram. This stocking prevents contamination of my air filter, but really isn’t needed on my cooler.

So, I replaced the cooler-ram, without the stocking and am excited to say, I’m quite pleased with the volume of air that is redirected onto my boys... I even get plenty of air, at the driver’s side... and the air is quite cool... at 9am, in early May.

So... I will forego a decision regarding modifying my cooler, to implement a water reservoir and rotating excelsior-padded cage, until this time next year.

I no longer drive 44 in the heat of Nevada summers and doubt the swamp cooler conversion is necessary, in my case. But, a year of use will prove/disprove that question.

4D36298A-C39F-41E1-BD01-EC449C4D18E6.jpeg

83F34D12-A811-4D21-98ED-931063FBE239.jpeg

My first test of my green powered, old school, window swamp-less cooler was a dismal failure... I felt ZERO air flow.

I had placed a knee-high nylon stocking inside the ram (front), behind the sink-drain screen, to filter particulates from the air.

I didn’t glue the ram-end on, because I knew I would need to remove it periodically.

After removing the ram, I found the stocking was doubled-up and that, in addition to the drain-screen, was simply too restrictive.

I use a knee-high stocking in my snorkel and it works fine... but the snorkel does not use a fine screen at the ram. This stocking prevents contamination of my air filter, but really isn’t needed on my cooler.

So, I replaced the cooler-ram, without the stocking and am excited to say, I’m quite pleased with the volume of air that is redirected onto my boys... I even get plenty of air, at the driver’s side... and the air is quite cool... at 9am, in early May.

So... I will forego a decision regarding modifying my cooler, to implement a water reservoir and rotating excelsior-padded cage, until this time next year.

I no longer drive 44 in the heat of Nevada summers and doubt the swamp cooler conversion is necessary, in my case. But, a year of use will prove/disprove that question.

View attachment 1972490

View attachment 1972491

I remember growing up and my parents had one of those. My dad told me it was to make the car faster. 🤣 I'm pretty sure ours was a swamp cooler style as it was pretty cool air. Most family trips were windows down driving until we got actual A/C at some point.

Creature comforts. Seatbelts were an afterthought on most family trips. My seat was holding the roll bar sitting on the fender in the 40.

Heck my sister and I rode cross country in the back of a pickup...to be fair it had a topper, but I think that was so no rain would get on the cases and cases of Coors beer we were taking to family in Ohio that couldn't get it at the time. Wow that sounds awesome when I type it out.

Looks like he`s just daring trucks to run him off the road now with that missile launcher !! Actually it really fits and looks good 👍
JP

Danny is no longer allow to cross into Kaliforniastan with that rocket launcher on the rig!

I’m Double-O-Forty-Four... I have two launchers pointing rearwards and, now, one pointing forward.

One rear-facing launcher dumps chaff, to distract radar-controlled missiles, or billows dense smoke.

One rear-facing launcher contains a Gatling Gun, fed by belts contained in my shallow box, on the roof rack.

The front-facing launcher propels RPGs or, dumps chaff, to defeat police radar.

My snorkel pushes cool, clean air into the carb and serves as a 360* periscope, that fires 12ga bird shot, with a very wide spread, wherever the periscope points.

You will notice, I also have two metal spears attached to the roof rack. They are quickly converted to a pair a 5’ nunchucks.

I have some additional ideas, but haven’t yet implemented them.

And stuff like this is what keeps us coming back for more!

While stuck idly at home, I live vicariously thru my imagination.

But, pay attention, I sometimes tell the truth.

For instance, several years ago, I hired a fly fishing guide, Corey, so my Son-in-Law and I could fish Teddy Roosevelt’s favorite hole, the Holy Water.

It’s on the Cimmaron River, just below Eagles Nest Dam, east of Eagles Nest, NM.

As always, we fished upstream and caught a ton of fish, brookies, rainbows and browns... seems like there were some sort of cutties too.

Anyway, when we were within about a hundred yards from the dam, I hooked what felt like an anchor, set in the bottom.

After a couple of minutes of it not moving at all, I was really sure I was hung up on the bottom.

Corey kept telling me to be patient... that there were huge pig browns in there. He said, just wait, with only a little pressure on the line.

Eventually, it started moving... slowly, then a quick, powerful surge upstream.

I started trying to stay ahead of him and couldn’t believe how strong he was!! I caught a 3’ shark, at Port Arkansas, TX, on a 11’ surf casting rig one time and it was not nearly as strong.

My Son-in-Law was watching intently and I was starting to breath pretty hard at ~7k’, on that rocky tailwater.

Suddenly, Corey screamed right behind me and I jerked around and broke my tippit.

About 30’ behind us was a large black bear... Corey’s scream was so loud and shrill that he scared the bear as much as the bear scared him... we saw the bear headed up a game trail to the top of the ridge above the dam.

I hated to lose the chance at landing that fish, but really hadn’t made any headway and we all doubted I could have gotten him to a net anyway.

Worth the guide and use fees for sure!!

I nominate your 44 as the most modified but still original in most cases.

I nominate your 44 as the most modified but still original in most cases.

I bought her and modified her to use... function over form... but, she shouldn’t prove difficult for the next owner to return to stock, if they so desire.

That doesn’t mean I’ve hesitated to drill a hole, when the mood struck me... but, I first try to make-do with existent holes... like the window blower threaded rod is mounted to one of the three original side mirror holes.

Thanks for the kind words... and for noticing, Roger!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom