Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3rd (or 4th?)

Fully agree - as one of the few millennial (as much as I hate to admit it) 40 owners on this forum, I could barely cope with the losses is Webber Sarge and lostmarbles when they left the group. My 30-something psyche can’t handle all this talk of torch passing! I am, after all, a snowflake.

I need you all to stick around and teach me how to fix this damn thing, and I’ve still got a lot to learn.

On a related note - it freaks me out how few people my age and younger have any interest in keeping these piles of metal alive.

Long story short - we need you to keep 44.

Don't forget about @Chungas Revenge his literary work here is classic.

Don't forget about @Chungas Revenge his literary work here is classic.

I thought about listing everyone but you crusty knowledgeable old dudes are legion here.

Actually I have no idea how old half of you are but from the folks I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person, I can safely say most of you are pushing double my age.

My wife always jokes that half my friends are retired - but it comes with the territory of being into classic cars. Somehow I caught the previous generations nostalgia even though all these cars were built before I was alive.

I thought about listing everyone but you crusty knowledgeable old dudes are legion here.

Actually I have no idea how old half of you are but from the folks I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person, I can safely say most of you are pushing double my age.

My wife always jokes that half my friends are retired - but it comes with the territory of being into classic cars. Somehow I caught the previous generations nostalgia even though all these cars were built before I was alive.

I haven't even hit my prime yet! I'm in the same boat you are, hell my 40 is older than me!

I haven't even hit my prime yet! I'm in the same boat you are, hell my 40 is older than me!
Dam now you really made me feel old my 40 is younger than me and i`m retired 👍 :flipoff2: LOL
JP

Dam now you really made me feel old my 40 is younger than me and i`m retired 👍 :flipoff2: LOL
JP

I'm a little over half way to retirement, I'll walk away with 30 years at 57, probably go row boats as a fly fishing guide when I'm done playing adult.

I'm good to go then, I'll never be twice your age ever again - hit that milestone sometime last year :). For those even older than me, I've heard that math problems can help mental acuity, so the question is - how old am I? And don't say "Old as Dirt".

I'm good to go then, I'll never be twice your age ever again - hit that milestone sometime last year :). For those even older than me, I've heard that math problems can help mental acuity, so the question is - how old am I? And don't say "Old as Dirt".

Old as di........never mind, you beat me to it.

If I were to make an educated guess based on some other ages that I'm making educated guesses about, I'd put you between 70 and 80.

@imyahucklbrry Michael, Darlene and I have plans for Napa one of these days. I hear it is spendy, bring the bank? I do have another 40 to restore though as well. Danny the pic of you fishing with your trusty companion could only be better if 44 was in there somehow too! Excellent picture.

Yeah, it’s expensive for sure...... We decided to visit only one winery because of the cost... Castello di Amorosa - I picked it because the castle looked cool not because of my vast expertise in wines (I’m more a whiskey/beer guy). $30 per person gets you a shortened tour of the castle ($70 if you want the full tour) and 5 wine tastings :cheers:
We had picked two wines to purchase but changed our mind and walked out with coaster that sported a picture of the castle on it for $10 :grinpimp:
I will say that Napa is really some beautiful country worth seeing!

If I were to make an educated guess based on some other ages that I'm making educated guesses about, I'd put you between 70 and 80.
Oh man, not that old! That would be as old as dirt. Here are a couple of hints:

- In March 1973 the Selective Service assigned draft priority numbers for all men born in the year I was born.

- The FJ25 was introduced the year after I was born.

I am seriously considering selling 44... I didn't think I would ever reach this point, but lately, I hurt so damned bad two days after I drive her, or one day after I work on her that it kinda ruins the enjoyment of driving her. I haven't made a decision yet and probably won't for another year… I need to see how much I use her by this time next year... but, I'm seriously considering it.

Dang Danny I`m sorry to hear about your pain and your dilemma with 44. I do know it`s a very hard decision on which way to go. That is actually how I got my 40 was my dad could not drive it anymore (cancer in back). It`s a choice that you have to make that will best suit you and give you more enjoyment in life.
JP

Mud name: @4Cruisers

For those even older than me, I've heard that math problems can help mental acuity, so the question is - how old am I? And don't say "Old as Dirt".

When people ask my age, I just say "Pleistocene".

I wish I’d gotten into this public land life when I was 30-something, instead of when I turned 65. But, I was in the second half of my 20-year Air Force career and living in Holland.

We returned, from Holland, to Austin, TX and lived around there throughout my second (23 year) career.

There’s VERY little public land in Texas, I was working way too many hours had actually never even heard of an FJ40.

After I retired the second time, we decided to liquidate our Texas life and buy this 1200 sq ft townhouse. I left most of my woodworking tools in Texas and quickly discovered I needed something to do out here.

I was going to buy a Jeep and my Son-in-Law suggested a 40. I researched them and decided I needed one. Found 44 in... Texas and had it delivered.

I never cared for auto mechanics and knew very little. Once 44 arrived and I started taking her to visit the vast emptiness of Nevada, I knew it was going to be fun!!

It didn’t take long before I decided I needed to be able to fix stuff, or chance long hikes out of the areas I wanted to visit.

It’s been a real learning experience and I’ve enjoyed most of it.

Learning also added greatly to my feelings of comfort and security... and contributed mightily to my “solace in solitude”. I know I am as self sufficient as I can reasonably be and I’m quite proud of my newfound abilities.

I haven’t heard from Kevin (@Weber Sarge) since he sold his 40, but I just searched... he’s still in MUD periodically.

Tom (@lostmarbles) totaled his beautiful BJ40 and settled up with the insurance company. He’s still on MUD, but is retired now and is enjoying his VDJ79.

367B01A8-0256-4E6E-B9C4-6769CCFA71E7.jpeg

Tom, Peter (@Bambi Girl) and I keep in touch via email.

I haven’t decided to sell 44 and won’t for another year... I’m just surprised I’m seriously considering it.

Thanks to everyone, for your kind words... our HOA has a hot tub and I’ve used it a lot. But, it only helps while I’m actually in it.

But, I visited my local dealer (dispensary) and bought some more powerful CBD oil that works much better... so, I have high hopes.

Oh man, not that old! That would be as old as dirt. Here are a couple of hints:

- In March 1973 the Selective Service assigned draft priority numbers for all men born in the year I was born.

- The FJ25 was introduced the year after I was born.

Why, you young whipper snapper!!

65... still a baby!!

You know, most of the exploring you do can be done in a 100 series (or 200).

Is this a bad time to bring up that I was born in 1986?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom