My 76 1UZ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update, engine is out and on its way to an fj40 that suffered from a Buick transplant...

Time for some opinions:

Regarding the driveline, I plan on getting the Northwesttoys bell housing, but need clutch advice. I have changed plenty of clutches, but never built or installed a new one in a swap. I see that @TachedOutOffRoad is using LC Engineering Dual Comp Clutch Kit, are there other options? Particularly those that might be available in Canada? The exchange rate is brutal right now on USD to CAD.

Also, with the dual cases, I plan on going with Trail Gear as MC is pretty significantly more expensive and out of stock at the moment, has anyone fabbed their own mounts? Again @TachedOutOffRoad choice of Front Range OffRoad Tcase mount looks strong and sexy, but also not cheap to buy or get here and I am doing my work body on so might be harder to mount. EDIT: this is a potentially a good option: Proffitt’s Tips & Tricks – Transmission Cross members – Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers.

Edit again: got advice from my local shop and regional guru that if I try and run the 1UZ through the gear driven cases, there is a good chance I will blow it up as two other local guys have - they then went to Atlas. Atlas will likely kill my budget though, argh, maybe I will just do some body work for a while as I continue my edumacation.

Last, given that my fenders are pretty good, and to help fund all this, I am going to sell the NOS fenders, thoughts on value?

20200528_094639.jpg

Last edited:
@Calgary40

Make the cases 23 spline and roll out. An atlas is $$$$ and way over kill in a rig like this to me.

yes, most are behind 4 cylinders, but these mini cases hold up in pure trail crawlers on 39-42”s.

what size tires are you running? You’ll snap stock axle shafts and twist stock drive shafts before hurt that case. Lower diff gears will take some stress of the cases, but I wouldn’t stress about it

160DECB7-418E-468F-9DBA-2401A82A2835.jpeg

Last edited:
That's sound advice. I found this thread yesterday:
Starting at about post 4 with "BigMike" from MC, there are some excellent technical points and tips for wheeling without blowing up boxes. I am thinking I will forgo the Atlas because of the cost, but stay with MC over TG.
I haven't landed on tire size yet, most likely 35s, but I am on the fence still regarding cut turn low as possible SOA or 4"Alcan.. if SOA, I might go 37s.

Also, my new favorite product - short strand fiberglass a bit more than the bondo brand stuff, but way easier to work with.

In other news, in talking to Marlin and more knowledgeable folks who know how I drive, seems like there is a 50/50 chance I will be shredding gears. Around here we get slippery conditions often and then you suddenly grab - hard on everything. Looking now at a Northwest Fab Black Box plus Dana 300 (if I can find one) or, if i can find the cash an Atlas 2.

Back to welding, starting the lower rear next.

20200618_124631.jpg

Got corners now! And think I finally have the last of the bloody sprayfoam out if her. Biggest PITA though is the tar undercoating, seems to have done a decent job in preserving, but the stuff burns during welding and hid a few PO problems like the fact that the upper and lower front fenders were welded together (I opened the garage door after the last photo and have a fire extinguisher nearby...)

Need advice on sources for seals - need all of the rear, critical though is the rear wiper seal which is crispy. Also need wiper seals for doors and a front windshield seal.

Plus I need the front upper fender vent covers, mine are currently welded over. I will eventually post to classified, but thought I would start here.

Saw @SLOCRUISER site and am hopeful of rear cargo seal before I paint so I can pull the windows, otherwise I will probably leave in and tape around.

Thanks
20200620_152505.jpg
20200623_172555.jpg
20200629_094026.jpg
20200623_101216.jpg

Got corners now! And think I finally have the last of the bloody sprayfoam out if her. Biggest PITA though is the tar undercoating, seems to have done a decent job in preserving, but the stuff burns during welding and hid a few PO problems like the fact that the upper and lower front fenders were welded together (I opened the garage door after the last photo and have a fire extinguisher nearby...)

Need advice on sources for seals - need all of the rear, critical though is the rear wiper seal which is crispy. Also need wiper seals for doors and a front windshield seal.

Plus I need the front upper fender vent covers, mine are currently welded over. I will eventually post to classified, but thought I would start here.

Saw @SLOCRUISER site and am hopeful of rear cargo seal before I paint so I can pull the windows, otherwise I will probably leave in and tape around.

Thanks
View attachment 2355900View attachment 2355902View attachment 2355905View attachment 2355906

Got my locked hj61 axles Monday and they are beefy :bounce: plus the bell housing and other parts are slowly arriving.. gonna have to finish the body and bolt stuff up before I run out of space in the garage.

Got the timing belt and water pump changed out though, but starting to think that @TachedOutOffRoad had the right idea on buying a wiring harness, spent the day yesterday trying to get the engine to turn... Also started working with Northwest Toys on getting a set of engine mounts fabbed up as well, I don't really have the tools for bending thick steel.

Today is grinding day... my poor neighbors.

20200629_174625.jpg

20200707_102837.jpg

20200707_102825.jpg

This harness was $$ but it is very nice and will save me a ton of time and numerous headaches. Wiring scares me. I let the magic smoke out too much.

stock FJ80 mounts bolt to the 2UZ. About $80 each new OEM.

The frame side is just a pie shaped piece with a slot in it. nothing too crazy at all. Get a square piece of tubing or big piece of angle and trim to fit.

FB9B6CAB-B99B-43B2-8A3B-1DBAD7D18659.jpeg

7FC8B592-07A2-48D0-808A-18EFC3451571.jpeg

FC769C02-3E05-43C8-893B-7FC57115D184.jpeg

F75C8046-0650-4B88-A885-8D74875D2A03.jpeg

C04BC18B-26C9-438C-BB77-6C6740EE1BD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @TachedOutOffRoad, especially re the mounts, will save time and $$.
Yeah, your wiring harness sure is tidy, mine is all over the place, on my second relay set up - BUT, at the end of the day today i spent another half hour on it, I got the starter and fuel pump to engage - will double check everything and try her tomorrow or Friday.
20200708_172932.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom