My 60 keeps dying (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just read a thread on the Rising Sun forum. And this guy had all the same symptoms Major Nelson is having. Going through all the test that you all are doing. And also talking too Jim C.
What they did is switched out the carb and installed a fresh rebuilt carb from Jim C.
And his issue was resolved.
Once he switched out the carb he sent his carb he was having the same issues with to Jim C. To do an autopsy of the said carb. Note: the carb he sent out to Jim C. Was not rebuilt bye him.
But this is what he found. Maybe who knows it
could be a possibility it may be the same problem with major Nelson’s.
Maybe there is an obstruction somewhere in the carb circuit.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 3019113

It has a "freshly" rebuilt carb from JimC on it now. Installed it less than 300 miles ago.

It has a "freshly" rebuilt carb from JimC on it now. Installed it less than 300 miles ago.
Yeah I read that.
And I am not saying that it was rebuilt wrong or anything like that. But could be a possible idle circuit clogged from something who knows.

Brake booster leaking vacuum when pressure applied?

I’m a part of the Rising Sun club and rzeppa is still active on the forum. @Major Nelson you could probably ping him. He’s been playing with cruisers a long time and is very knowledgeable on technical issues.

Not saying the carb is the problem, but … that guy is worth talking to.

Here’s what we know.
Cruiser runs great especially around town. It’ll idle all day. The ONLY time the issue comes up is after driving at highway speeds at co stand RPMs for ten minutes or more. As you coast your a stop, the engine stalls. The tach shows proper RPMs which slowly drop.
The issue does not occur any other time.

I’m still going with the “EGR valve malfunction” theory.

The symptoms described above are EXACTLY the same as what I experienced with my malfunctioning EGR valve. Exactly. Experienced it many times.

It’s only when driving at highway speeds for a while that -my- EGR valve would eventually get stuck open. You can’t detect it while driving because the EGR is open while driving anyway. But when it does that it doesn’t close naturally when the engine is left to idle when stopping.
Engine sputters. Mega vacuum leak. Easy to see on a vacuum gauge.

The old EGR valve would heat up while driving constant speed and something inside would bind the piston and it would get stuck open.

Sometimes it would release on its own after the engine cooled down but I never had the patience to wait around at the side of the road for that to happen.
A sticky EGR problem can be intermittent and non repeatable. Sometimes I could drive for weeks without it happening. Sometimes it was a more frequent annoyance.

faulty NSS ? But seems logical it would happen more often than just the intermittent

So what came about this after all?
I’m curious what the fix if any.

I made it down to SoCal with no problem. I think I'm leaning towards @OSS has diagnosed. It only happens when I've been on the freeway for a while. Once I coast to the side of the road it'll start up perfectly. Everything else has checked out. Brand new battery and cables, new fusible link. Fires up immediately, don't even need to use the choke. Runs perfectly otherwise. Jason has everything dialed in perfectly. I found the one issue you can have that will only show itself by driving on the freeway for at least 30 min or so.

At this point I think I'll end up doing a smog delete in the near future...which seems a shame since Jason put in all new vacuum lines and had it all dialed in perfectly.

I'll be leaving for TX on Monday morning...plan to finish the drive to TX in two days.

I had a similar issue with mine. Torfab diagnosed it as intake and exhaust manifold gasket leak. More air leaking into intake manifold post carburetor throwing off everything. It’s at Torfab now getting a rebuilt carb, new gaskets and a tune. We’ll see if that’s the fix.

I just read a thread on the Rising Sun forum. And this guy had all the same symptoms Major Nelson is having. Going through all the test that you all are doing. And also talking too Jim C.
What they did is switched out the carb and installed a fresh rebuilt carb from Jim C.
And his issue was resolved.
Once he switched out the carb he sent his carb he was having the same issues with to Jim C. To do an autopsy of the said carb. Note: the carb he sent out to Jim C. Was not rebuilt bye him.
But this is what he found. Maybe who knows it
could be a possibility it may be the same problem with major Nelson’s.
Maybe there is an obstruction somewhere in the carb circuit.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 3019113
doubt this will be the issue since Jason hooked me up with a JimC carb for my build. Made it home so it's good...will try to figure it out - but
Here’s what we know.

Cruiser runs great especially around town. It’ll idle all day. The ONLY time the issue comes up is after driving at highway speeds at co stand RPMs for ten minutes or more. As you coast your a stop, the engine stalls. The tach shows proper RPMs which slowly drop.
The issue does not occur any other time.

Things we tested today:
1) Carb solenoid; has power and works. Even hot wired it.
2) air cleaner intake flapper valve is not stuck open.
3) We have fuel. Filter was replaced, the original was not contaminated.
4) All electrical in great shape including battery, terminals and all connections.
5) Ignition switch.
6) ECU
7) EGR disconnected and forced shut
8) pressure/vacuum in fuel tank

I tried everything I could think of. Reached out to Jim C and Marlin as well as my “smog guy”. So basically, I called in the heavy guns.
Scratching our heads.

I don’t think it’s a vacuum leak, a fuel delivery issue or an ignition wiring issue.

We’ll figure it out eventually…..

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Georg went above and beyond trying to figure out the mystery. I basically showed up at 6am with (Thanks to Jason @TRAIL TAILOR for setting it up). It just seems weird...that it's only after being on the freeway for long periods of time that this happened. As Georg said (and Jason can attest) she runs perfectly with no issues when driving around town. Between Jason, Georg, Marlin, Jim C, and Georg's "smog guy" I had some of the most knowledgeable Cruiser minds trying to figure it out. Thanks to @OSS too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom