My 4x4 Labs Bumper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And so it begins.

I am a total novice at welding. The hardest thing I have ever welded are some plant hangers. I have all winter to get it done so I can take it slow.

Starting from:
utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTItMjAxMTEwMTUtMTYzNi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTMtMjAxMTEwMTUtMTYzNi5qcGc.jpg

The parts:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAxMTEwMTUtMTYzNy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTUtMjAxMTEwMTUtMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

Sweet, it's a bunch of work, but worth it in the end.:cheers:

I am going to watch this too. Lots of pics please. I can weld and could lay down a pretty good bead but it has been 25 years since my last metal melting.

Seeing another one of these really makes me want to hurry my Miller purchase so I can build myself one of these.

My recent rear swap has me looking similar to your first pic and I am thinking of running that way for a bit.

Just a warning, this is going to be very slow since I really have no idea WTF I'm doing. In fact, it just occurred to me I can't really start until after next weekend. I need the cruiser for one last trip to the cabin and there will be no way I have a functional rear bumper even without swing outs by then.

I did not realize I need to build it on the rig. Since the first step is surgery on the frame.....

My next week is going to be practice laying welds on scrap.

Subscribed... slow and steady 41magsnub.good luck

Don't even sweat the fact that you are a novice welder and gonna do the 4x4Labs bumper. I was in the same boat when I did mine, my first welding experience. I practiced a few welds on some pieces of metal laying around and then I went to town. I've seen two methods of welding these bumpers: Welded by a pro showing off the nice welds, or my route, hitting all the welds with a flap disc and grinding smoothe. Don't worry, it will look great when it's powder coated.

Here's a link to my build. Godd Luck and have fun!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-socal-80s/406728-guess-what-im-gonna-do.html

I bought a completed bare bumper on CL. I welded up my swing outs and carrier. I used a 110V Lincoln with .030 fluxcore wire. I just had to do multiple passes on some stuff. I also preheated the spindles and let them cool down with a welding blanket over them after welding. I sold my 220V Lincoln several years ago, but it worked. As mentioned above the flap disk is your friend.

The spindles can be tricky, buy some 90* welding magnets from harbor freight to help keep them in place when you tack them. Also use a square to double check your 90* Once you do several tacks make sure you are still 90* since the tacks might change your angle. When you do any checking of your spindle make sure you have the spindle assembled, its easier to use the square against it.

After its tacked weld it up and then pull the bumper and weld the bottom. The 45* cut on the bottom of the spindle should fit the contour of the inside of the bumper. Once the spindle is welded you can proceed to the swing arms.

Another thing to mention is that this bumper will most likely be used as a recovery point, towing point worst case scenario point so if your not to sure about your welding skills you can always tack up the shell and partially weld it. Then have a fellow mudder or some else weld up the crossmember and recovery points.

I didn't weld the bottom of the spindles and noticed my swing arm with the tire vibrated alot. I put my finger inside the high lift hole and could feel the bottom of the spindle move when the tire was pushed back and forth. Once i pulled it and welded it, it was solid. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not a huge fan of HF tools but the Auto dimming mask is a great deal for $34.99 with coupon. Well worth the bang for the buck and the welding blanket.

Last edited:
Personal question first...
Does anyone know if they changed up the skeleton sides yet on the 4th gen 4Runner rear bumper? I like the bumpers with the exception of the sides where you can see the body. Thx!

I also agree with last post on everything that was said. I bought a welder 3 years ago and have gotten pretty good now...once you start welding you may not know what you ever did before it! Defiantly get the auto darkening helmet from Harbor Freight, it's the one I use and it's awesome!

My welder is a Millermatic 211 Autoset 110-220 gas wire welder. Love it:) Only draw back is with a gas welder you are at the mercy of the wind sometimes if you weld outside, but that said it also helps give you such a smooth weld! Also the 110-220 option gives you the opportunity to weld places where there isn't 220.

Hope that helps some. ~Daniel

I'm sry I just saw this was 80 series Tech section...here I am asking about my 4Runner.

I'm subscribed though...wanna see how this turns out.

the harderst part about it, is getting the oem hitch off the truck.....without twisting off the rusted fasteners.....because you use those weld nuts in the frame.
though i was going to have more problems with the oem spare carrier, but those came right out.

I love that 4xlabs uses a flat rate USPS box, then fills it edge to edge, top to bottom with flat steel, must weigh 60lbs...:lol::lol::lol:

68 lbs! The mailman at the office slammed it down and walked out. :lol:

At least I have a millermatic 212 autoset so there should be plenty of welding horsepower to get good penetration if I do it right.

41magsnub said:
68 lbs! The mailman at the office slammed it down and walked out. :lol:

LOL :)

At least I have a millermatic 212 autoset so there should be plenty of welding horsepower to get good penetration if I do it right.

I'm jealous. I been wantingto get the Miller 211 or 212. However I live in a town house and my garage only has 110v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom