My 3 linked daily driver build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tried my hand at Aluminum DC TIG for my turbo drain fittings....ran out of shielding gas with no luck so far. I did, however, manage to rebuild the transmission today. Just the main bearings, cleaning, inspection replaced the input and input pilot bearing with a jeep AX15 input. Added the Marlin Crawler hardened thrust washer and billet bearing retainer; hopefully the transmission lives a long and glorious life behind the diesel. Onto the pictures for the day.

IMG_4969.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

Last edited:
Transmission part deux

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

Last edited:
Still waiting on my flywheel, waiting game is getting really old. It is to my benefit in a sense I suppose. My source for aluminum tig welding fell through a few weeks back and I had to come up with alternatives to several different aspects of the project. The turbo drain fittings were all supposed to be aluminum and the compressor outlet for the HX40 was supposed to get cut down and welded on at a 90* angle since for some reason the cast 90* elbow is more like a 80*. Also the charge pipe from the HX that feeds the K14 was supposed to be aluminum. The solutions I came up with: cut new turbo drain flanges out of some 3/8 mild steel I had laying around, order new -12AN weld on fittings in the stainless variety, order the ridiculously expensive v-band clamp and o-ring for the turbo elbow and buy a 45/180 3" stainless mandrel bend to replace the aluminum charge pipe. Waiting on the mandrel bend at the moment.

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

Last edited:
A few more pictures because we all love pictures. I also modified the stock vacuum operated internal wastegat by cutting the assembly off of the bracket it was attached to and drilling the bracket to fit the billet adjustable wastegate from KINUGAWA the fit is like it was meant to be.

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

Last edited:
Not a whole lot of forward progress the last couple of days, was supposed to have the nerves in my lower back burned down again but the VA gave me a cortisone injection instead because they scheduled me for the local clinic that doesn't have the tools to do RFA, so I've been a bit sore. I managed to get the transfer case assembled to the transmission, just need to torque the input and drive flange nuts. The HZJ79 transfer case adapter housing, adapter shaft and shift linkage all work perfectly with the fj62 manual shift converted split case. I also drilled removed and drilled out the transmission and transfer case breathers and tapped them for 1/8npt for hose barb fittings. I removed the exhaust manifold and welded the old EGR port shut and have been working on grinding down any weld that protrudes into the exhaust and wastegate ports. Lastly, I removed the turbo drain fittings and blended them in for better drainage flow and made an intake manifold inlet adapter that needs welded still. I didn't get many pictures. Today I will hopefully receive some more packages in the mail. Header wrap and ties, turbo plumbing hose from Fragola. Also waiting on a new oil cap and gasket since I noticed a crack in the original, and lastly I have a couple turbo blankets coming for the turbine housings. The wrap and the blankets are my attempt at keeping direct heat off of the Turbo-smart wastegate and oil feed/drain hoses, they should look decent ok I hope.

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

Last edited:
Getting ready to start a motor swap so I wanted to save some space for pictures etc so it doesn't get too broken up.

For some reason I'm unable to edit my previous posts at the moment...which is going to suck a big floppy donkey dk if I can't edit them. Anyway, since I'm still waiting on the machinist for my flywheel and Marlin Crawler whose motto seems to be "we should have your part next Wednesday, it should ship on Thursday" I rebuilt the turbo, and painted the parts I got back from the metal cleaners. Installed new seals, gaskets, idler pulley and damper, alternator,power steering pump, water pump and thermostat and vacuum pump. Also, I built my hx40 hybrid with 12cm^2 wastegate-less exhaust housing. Here are a couple teaser pics since the majority of pics are on my phone. if I regain editing abilities I will edit this post to reflect.

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

EDIT: People liked the post and it wouldn't make much sense for me to delete the content now, so now the pictures are double posted.

Last edited:
Looking great man!

The interest in the 606 will be high for CA owners... if they don't know they will learn that CA doesn't allow 6bt swaps to be registered in CA technical... (there are some rumored ways around this)

However the 606 is appealing because it was offered in a "like vehicle", something nessassary for a CA approved swap since the 80 series is on the books as a station wagon and not a 3/4 ton truck.

You could open the market!

-A

Looking great man!

The interest in the 606 will be high for CA owners... if they don't know they will learn that CA doesn't allow 6bt swaps to be registered in CA technical... (there are some rumored ways around this)

However the 606 is appealing because it was offered in a "like vehicle", something nessassary for a CA approved swap since the 80 series is on the books as a station wagon and not a 3/4 ton truck.

You could open the market!

-A
@AMMO I was saying this very thing when I first posted that I was working on this swap. Seems like @Tugarin may have come across a better solution though with his OM648 swap. I would have gone the OM648 route myself but the stand alone tech wasn't out there, and I kind of don't like the electronic dependency of the OM648. They are, however, far superior in fuel economy and power in stock trim. I may do another project with an OM648 in the future...distant future. I have to get this one and 2 others done and save some money lol. I hope to have my flywheel next week but I won't hold
My breathe, the machinist doing the work said he could have it done by June 14 which was the ATL date I gave him for delivery, he didn't even get the material until the day before and I'm not sure he's even started it. Anyway, I'm just doing what I can in the mean time, which isn't much at the moment. I'm rebuilding and converting the 38mm split case this weekend and doing some minor Fab work for the turbo setup today, I need to figure out the drain line setup still. Anyway, hopefully I can bring this swap to fruition soon and hopefully have something worthwhile to offer the community.

Holinbolt....German for dipstick tube adapter. So the dipstick tube for the om648 (oil pan I'm using) is no longer available. The om606 tube is 29/64 OD, the inner hole for the om648 tube is 0.515". A 14mm shoulder bolt is roughly 0.505" at the shoulder. So I'm center drilling the bolt to 29/64 and cutting the head and threads off to make a bushing for the OM606 dispstick tube to go into and I will tig a mounting flange and the tube to the bushing to make a functional dipstick tube.

IMG_4895.JPG

Last edited:
@AMMO I was saying this very thing when I first posted that I was working on this swap. Seems like @Tugarin may have come across a better solution though with his OM648 swap. I would have gone the OM648 route myself but the stand alone tech wasn't out there, and I kind of don't like the electronic dependency of the OM648. They are, however, far superior in fuel economy and power in stock trim. I may do another project with an OM648 in the future...distant future. I have to get this one and 2 others done and save some money lol. I hope to have my flywheel next week but I won't hold
My breathe, the machinist doing the work said he could have it done by June 14 which was the ATL date I gave him for delivery, he didn't even get the material until the day before and I'm not sure he's even started it. Anyway, I'm just doing what I can in the mean time, which isn't much at the moment. I'm rebuilding and converting the 38mm split case this weekend and doing some minor Fab work for the turbo setup today, I need to figure out the drain line setup still. Anyway, hopefully I can bring this swap to fruition soon and hopefully have something worthwhile to offer the community.

Dang doing 2 more after yours... hummnnn.... PM inbound.

Dang doing 2 more after yours... hummnnn.... PM inbound.
Two more projects, not om606 swaps. I have a toyota t100 om617 turbo project I need to finish and covert to 4wd straight axle, and a 95 powerstroke I need to finish converting to 4wd.

I added some pictures of what's been done so far (page 7) as I wait patiently for my machinist to either return me emails or call me with a finished flywheel. I will work on the transmission tomorrow and if I have any time I will hopefully weld up some turbo drain fittings.

Just out of curiosity. That Merc motor is it the same motor found in the ML , GL and what is called a Sprinter bus in South Africa?
2.7 CDI 5 cylinder? And then changed to 3.5 CDI

Just out of curiosity. That Merc motor is it the same motor found in the ML , GL and what is called a Sprinter bus in South Africa?
2.7 CDI 5 cylinder? And then changed to 3.5 CDI
No, it's found in the E300 turbodiesel here in the states, found in a couple of other vehicles over seas. It's a pre-CDI 3.0l inline 6.

Got some goodies in the mail and via FedEx and UPS. Header wrap, turbo blankets and my oil feed and return lines. Have to remove a broken manifold stud from the head and I will reinstall the manifold with turbos and hook up the drains and feed lines. I added an EGT bung to the turbo adapter coming off the manifold too.

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

Last edited:
Some pictures of the progress

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG