My 3 linked daily driver build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ahhh I see you've got a specific thread for the engine swap. Just read it now...sorry to hear about the blownish engine, that seems pretty uncommon for these. Hopefully you have better luck with the next one! Also makes me hope mine is ok, (haven't run it yet). I'm still knocking out little things including some rust holes in body, hoping to add an update shortly. Last big item is going to be the wiring and the exhaust.

Yeah, not common at all from anything I read. A lot of overseas guys buy them with more miles and flog the crap out of them without breaking them. It may have been due to the PO running WVO. It ruined the EDS pump, gummed it all up. Intake ports on cylinders 1-2 were really nasty from the EGR system, nearly clogged shut on the intake manifold. The #3 cylinder may just be gummed up rings. Once it's all running properly I'm going to autopsy the engine and see if it is something simple. If it is gummed up rings and valves I will clean the rings, Pistons and valves and boil the lifters to get the gunk out. Then reassemble it and test it. If it's a good motor I will sell it, otherwise I may use it for parts and as an adapter jig. Get your stuff done slacker, lets we it on the street!

It has been a long time since I posted anything. Life has got in the way of working on or driving the cruiser for a while. However, I just started working on it again. I will have some stuff to post in the Mercedes turbodiesel thread in the coming months. Just little changes to the swap and more or less the final product.

I don't bust it up on the rocks or crazy obstacles anymore so I'm considering domesticating the beast and putting it on 36"-37" tires and a smaller lift. I may even go crazy and remove the 3-link and weld factory brackets back on and go full bolt on suspension....man I'm getting real vanilla in my old age, Lol. It's time to go toward the overlanding and hunting route this was originally supposed to go.

So, I purchased and ARB winch mount bullbar.

20210925_124528.jpg

Then a Smittybilt 10,000lb Gen 2 X2O winch with synthetic line....because I was at 4wheel Parts store and it was a good deal...and I have a problem obviously...don't judge you all have the same problem, Lol.

20210925_124615.jpg

Then I decided it's time to get rid of the cheap front lightbar that doesn't work with the ARB Bullbar and decided you know what I will do...spend even more money and Buy the new ARB Intensity Solis driving light set with the harness.

Oh, and the ARB bullbar offers ample space for the CXRacing intercooler so that I can remove the current Treadstone intercooler and the poorly routed charge pipes that interfere with the battery box.

And since I'm in there I may as well install a battery in the second battery box that has been empty for forever. So a dual battery setup with a Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622, military style terminals and Blue Sea fuses is in order.
20210924_214252.jpg

And I mean if I'm already running dual battery cables I may as well upgrade the wiring from the alternator to the fusible link to 4 GA. Then the wire from the alternator to the fuse box to some fresh 10 GA. Why not replace the wire from the exciter (B+) to the fuse box to 12 GA. You can't leave the other wire from the fuse box to the other terminal of the fusible link...how about some 8 GA?
20210925_124714.jpg
20210925_125651.jpg

Then if the core support is all broken down to get the wiring harness out I may as well replace those ratty old headlights with some fresh glass Depot lights right?

But wait, that's not all. I've ordered a generic automotive fuse and relay box to wire in the auxiliary systems of the vehicle like the driving lights, the existing back-up lights, future work lights, etc...

Now I have a real problem on my hands, I have a spare Warn VR10000 laying around. May as well run Anderson plugs to the front winch for ease of bumper removal, and since may as well run power to the back for the VR10000....probably going to stick with a hitch mount.

Since I'm running power back there already, I guess it's the perfect time to install that ARB Twin compressor I got a couple years ago. I'm already going to have to remove my rolling drawer set I made a long time ago to install the ARB compressor so why not take this opportunity to install some bussbars and a fuse block for an inverter, water pump and future fridge wiring?

Stay tuned, I will post pictures and update as I go.
If you have some nice electrical, onboard hot water, inverter or fridge setups feel free to post the link in the thread here so that I may draw inspiration.

Last edited:
So far I have test fitted the intercooler...waiting to hear back from CXracing before I go and review the product. So, more on that at a later date.

I installed the Depo lights. So, the depot lights don't exactly work with the 93 grille. Does anyone know if the 95 and newer grille fits differently? The grille and headlights have a slightly different contour. I had to remove the excess tab from the lower inner tabs as they ran right into the current intercooler and it will be a while before the intercooler swap is done.
20211002_183234.jpg

I also mounted the ARB intensity solis lights. They do not exactly work with the ARB bull bar light tabs. I printed some 8mm spacers on the ole 3d printer to level the brackets and was able to utilize 1 of the bolt holes in each of the ARB brackets. I will have to make some brackets out of aluminum at some point and get them powder coated. I have a 3d model of the intended brackets. Meanwhile this will do....hopefully they don't get stollen in the interim.

I haven't quite decided how to wire my ARB intensity solis lights yet. I purchased the wiring harness and it has a dimmer switch and some pigtails for different styles of headlights. You plug the pigtail between the highbeam and the factory harness and the lights come on with your brights. Except you have to provide and wire in a relay with our rigs since our lights are negative switched so you don't necessarily use there harness. However, you can still utilize the provided harnesses to make your own pigtail for use with the relay.

I don't want the ARB lights on every time I turn on the brights. In the past I've ran a master switch that delivers the positive power to all other switches to power light relays so that you don't accidentally confuse the villagers into thinking you're a wizard who can summon the sun on command. You have to flip the master on to switch any other lights on. However, I feel like that is adding a bit too much safety to the lights. Then again I could use it to deliver direct power to the light switch which adds options.

-If I install the relay then the lights come on only when high beams are activated.

-If I interrupt the relay circuit with a switch then I have to have the switch and the highbeams on to use the lights

-if I use a master then I can power the light switch directly and not have to have highbeams on.

You can also barely see the billet Kemimoto CB antenna mount on the driver side of the bull bar. I just have to run coax out further now. I will probably have to pull up the carpet to do so. I will also need to pull up the carpet to move the wiring for all of my switches from the old panel to the center console.

Last edited:
Alright, so while my phone was getting a small amount of charge I modified the ARB wiring harness and the highbeam pigta what I did was cut away the shrink tube in the middle of the harness.
20211002_173813.jpg

Then I cut the end off of the negative wire from plug (F) of ARBs harness and pulled both wires free of the loom. I re-routed the black wire to an existing ground,ran it through the loom for that ground, trimmed both wires and put a new ring terminal
20211002_195906.jpg
and marine shrink tube on the terminal to wire connection and the shrink tube to loom connection because why not?
20211002_223937.jpg
I then used the provided plug assembly on the yellow wire (in top pic) which will go to a switch in the cab.

While I was in there I reversed the orientation of the orange illumination wire which goes to your side marker...which I need to find plugs for to make a pigtail. Also need a set of plugs for the blinkers to make pigtails to the ARB bumper blinkers. Anyway, when I get time I will install the harness.

20211002_223123.jpg

20211002_223129.jpg

UPGRAYEDD

(with 2 D's for a double dose of that pimpin)
16332403672551926222873652381821.jpg
coming soon to a forum near you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom