Builds My 1981 HJ45 Troopy build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Never more than 12 psi on a rebuilt engine with less than 50k miles since rebuild.

Not sure what caused this yet. I haven't pulled the head to see if I dropped a part of precup or valve seat. I did pull the injector and glow plug from the cylinder where the crank is broken. I have a 4mm borescope that I was able to use to inspect the precumbustion chamber. I couldn't get into the cylinder because the precup is intact.

There was no foreign debris in the oil pan. Nothing in the exhaust manifold or outlet of the head.

I suspect that my timing was too advanced and I was also using the grey bottle Power Service cetane booster the whole trip. (2500 miles of mostly highway driving from Maine to Mexico.) I foolishly didn't know that running a cetane booster moves peak combustion pressure sooner in the ignition cycle. Going from a CN of 42 to 50 would mean peak pressure is 6 degrees sooner.

The replacement engine has been running great all summer. Retarded pump timing makes a big difference. The engine is much quieter and smoother/less vibration at idle.

We're packing up to head to Baja soon. Planning to be there for 6 to 8 weeks Will be there while the Baja 1000 is happening. Wave if you see us.

Yes, 10 years later and the truck still needs a paint job.

troopy-oct-2019.jpg

We're on the road again. Currently in Prescott, AZ. Should be in San Diego later today. Possibly in need of a injection pump diaphragm. If you're near southern CA and have a spare pump diaphragm please see my wanted post in the classfieds section.

A few years later and another 3B bites the dust. Experimenting with new forms of crankcase ventilation.

PXL_20210622_201908881.jpg

PXL_20210622_201915554.jpg

PXL_20210622_202020976.jpg

It was running normally when this let loose earlier today. No strange noises, no drop in oil pressure. Just a quick catastrophic failure. Will be interesting to pull the engine and inspect the carnage in a few weeks when I have time. At least this time the engine decided to quit about 4 miles from home.

I have been running the turbo at 12psi. I keep the pre-turbo EGTs below 1100F. Oil pressure was 30psi at 2k RPM with 15w40 in the summer temps.

Thankfully I have 1 spare 3B engine so I can get it back on the road.

I would have ditched the 3b along time ago!!! Cant believe your going to replace it again! I liked mine alot, I turboed it and would stay around 10psi boost, but always thought it was working too hard. It will never deliver enough power for a loaded down troopy.

What’s that in your hand? What’s blowing up at 2000 rpm?

In my hand is a big chunk of the front main bearing cap. It was sitting on the frame rail next to the fender. That's what came out through the side of the block.

Swapping in another 3B is just the path of least resistance. I have the engine, might as well use it. If this one dies maybe I'll go to a 4.3 Chevy or something. The 2.8L Cummins Repower engine would be nice too. I'm building an 85 Ford E-350 Quadravan as a camping rig. I want something I can stand up in. The Troopy has a been a great go-anywhere camping rig but it's time for something slightly more comfy, just slightly. The replacement 3B hopefully won't see a lot of work in the future.

I think I have a decent idea of what caused this.

A few weeks back I hit a bad spot on one of our paved back road where it looks like a culvert had sunk. The resulting front suspension slam was bad enough that both engine mount rubber pieces torn all the way through. I didn't realize this of course until the next big bump when the engine tilted over on its side enough to snap off the brass plumbing components feeding the turbo and alternator. I used an Easy-Out to extract the snapped-off 1/8"BSPT fitting from the block. I tried to vacuum out any debris from the hole. I guess maybe I wasn't successful and some metal bits ended up making their way to the front main bearing.

I replaced the engine mounts, fixed the oil feed lines and changed the oil. It ran like normal for about 600 miles before puking important parts out the side of the block. Live and learn I suppose.

After thinking about this a bit more, I kinda doubt the failure was cause by brass bits or debris from the extraction. I think the main bearing damage started the day that the engine puked most of it's oil out the side when that fitting snapped off. The engine actually shut down because of the EDIC's low oil pressure safety feature. I'd guess the bearing damage started then. I don't think this failure had anything to do with the engine being turbocharged. Just a failed bearing from running low to no oil pressure.

Interesting to learn that failing/failed main bearings don't make noise like rod bearings. When they spin and let loose they sound like a whip cracking.

Got around to yanking the engine yesterday and dropping the pan so I could inspect the damage. Two broken main bearing caps. Only the #2 bearing appeared to be spun, though both are scored up badly. I forgot to take a picture of the crank journals. They don't look too bad. I'll have the crank inspected to see if it's still straight and can be ground for use in my 3B with the broken crank. Maybe I'll be able to rebuild one good 3B from the carcasses of the dead ones.

PXL_20210715_212048583.jpg

PXL_20210715_215521751.jpg

PXL_20210715_215533751.jpg

Just went through your entire thread; very envious of all the great trips. Maine to Baja; that's quite a haul. Won't get the mileage you are used to but have you considered a 1FZ-FE or something a bit more reliable and with a bit more HP? Just thinking out loud.

Our Maine to Baja trips tend to be 10k miles round trip. But I don't think we'll be doing that again. The plan is to build out an 1985 E350 4wd (RustyOldVan.com) We'd like something with a little more space to get out of the weather and be able to stand up. I'd go the Chevy V6 or V8 route with the Troopy if I didn't already have the spare 3B. We'll keep using the Troopy for camping trips in Maine. Or maybe I'll just keep using it as a log skidder with my log arch. The Toybox makes it a tractor of sorts.

Edited to add that there's a few videos of the Troopy in action hauling this log on my FB page

trropy tractor.jpg

trropy tractor2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking about selling my the Troopy in this thread. I just don't use it anymore and need to free up space for other projects. If you're possibly interested drop me a message here. It's located in New Portland, Maine, USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom