Builds Mr Wilson’s 89 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
They do, but you only get about enough bed space for your eskie full of VB and a small barbi to throw some shrimps on!

04B802D1-A82B-40A3-BF80-81C3CC4AA2E1.jpeg

I believe the technical term for this one is “shproing”! (You know, the sound effect that happens when you feel funny in your trousers?!)

9C3D3001-BF3A-4F67-B32D-6C4F69B66305.jpeg

Ok, back on track... I have been busy, and installed 4 new speakers (Blaupunkt) and went with the JVC head unit. So far so good. I re configured the switches in the console too as my rear heater lines started to leak a bit. I tucked the window lock switch under the front console portion, put the window up/down switch where the ECT button was, and put the ECT button where the OD light was, and swapped the light into the blank opposite where it was originally. I’m going to build a console with iPhone and wallet storage as well as a couple of cup (beer) holders. I kept all the original parts so I can put heat back in later if I want.

I also finished my bodywork on the front fenders, and built a full length Bimini top. I’m happy with where it’s at for now aside from the missing centercaps that the idiots broke. They are “on order” whatever the hell that means in moronese.

Eventually I will repaint the hard top, but its not high on the priority list now that winter is over.

0E3D08C4-965B-4E25-B4BB-25FD0F04B7F5.jpeg
4D5D0C12-AD20-42FC-B9DC-D87D426CF897.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I just used some 3/4” EMT I had on hand, and the welds are a bit snotty due to the galvanized steel. I was going do a full DOM frame with a custom soft top, but I found the sun shade material in the correct size so just whipped this up. I’m in it for $100.

I bought a Klein bender off amazon for $40, but I can use it for work too, so it’s a good purchase.

Nice job man, she's looking good!

So does your truck not have a middle console at all?

It had the console, but I put it in my shed with the heater fan etc. I’m thinking about a Tuffy or similar. The wife doesn’t want a home made job. I was going to put the original back in, but it holds absolutely nothing, and mounts to the heater box, so I can’t use it without serious mods.

It had the console, but I put it in my shed with the heater fan etc. I’m thinking about a Tuffy or similar. The wife doesn’t want a home made job. I was going to put the original back in, but it holds absolutely nothing, and mounts to the heater box, so I can’t use it without serious mods.

I’m in the same boat. Stock console sucks, lid is broken, and it mounts to rear heater which I removed. Having nothing there is kind of nice for getting a kid in back though. Or for rear middle passenger to have some legroom.

Plus storage just means more room for junk to pile up. I kind of like it gone. I was thinking about some kind of low lockbox.

I would like a cup holder and somewhere to let my wallet and phone (my junk) pile up. I could probably make the stock one work, but I need a lid for it just like everyone else.

When you remove the rear heater, what do you do with the hoses? Cap? Install a U Turn?

Last edited:
When you remove the tar heater, what do you do with the hoses? Cap? Install a U Turn?

You can just bypass them up in the engine bay.

When you remove the tar heater, what do you do with the hoses? Cap? Install a U Turn?

Yup, as Blue said, I just did a loop under the hood and yanked the rusty lines to the back.

Update time. I’ve just been enjoying the 4Runner for the past month. It came in handy when I blew the trans in my 3500 (again). I think I’m going to blast a console together soon. Having nowhere to put a coffee is starting to suck.

In the “big news” dept, SWMBO was made aware today of the existence of Softoppers. After seeing a couple of pics, the go ahead was given, and she chose tan with tinted windows. Exactly what I wanted, but I let her decide before saying what I liked. I’ll be stoked to get one, and will probably sell my home brewed Bimini if someone local wants it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom