Builds Mountain Goat '18LX build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after 14 months of owning my 18LX, I am proceeding with the mods.

***Full Build Details and Pics on Page 7***

The goal is to be able to take my wife and (3) kids (presently all 5 and under) out into the woods in the PNW, and on the beach, and be able to get in and out of just about anywhere, without needing rescue. The goal is take to 1-to-2-night trips in the middle of the week, to get the kids out into the outdoors, and help them learn to love to hike and camp and fish and explore ad infinitum. Likely will use a RTT and awning.

First week off March, I am now officially slated to have the following done:

Trail Tamer hidden winch mount and winch (will look like the attached pic)
Sliders
Prinsu rack and light bar
ARB Compressor w/underhood mount
Dual Battery (exact battery TBD)
Controller System (exact system TBD)
Rear Hitch Carrier (exact systems TBD)
LRA 12.5 Aux gas tank

Based on my stated objectives, what am I missing? Yes, I know the front grille limits my clearance. Maybe I will do a bumper in the future, we'll see.

What else?
View attachment 1881923

Last edited:
Congrats. Introducing your lil ones to the outdoor life is a great goal. Think about a group 31 battery and a good jumper pack versus a dual battery setup. I was in love with the dual batt idea until another mudder shared his experience and advice with me as I'm doing with you. I run a domestic dual zone 75 with no issues. Save the coin and put the money towards a front bumper. Good luck man

Where’d you source a set of sliders?

I have a ‘13 LX. Stock other than Yakama rail grab with 66” bars and KO2s on 18”. I use a VIAIR (not hard install) compressor. I off road it pretty hard. Just since you asked I would hold off on a winch and do the bumper+winch at the same time. That is unless the winch you are getting could be bolted to another bumper later. Otherwise you’ll be buying a winch twice. Also with the new grill it will greatly limit your ability. As you know the approach sucks. The more I think about it Probably won’t need sliders as well until you fix the approach angle.

Or I guess you could wait to do a bumper until you rip the lower grill off yours.

I also 2nd the jumper pack but with a solar set up to recharge.

Not sure if you got it covered already, but I’d say #1 before anything would be wheels and AT tires. Smaller wheels with bigger tires (more rubber sidewall) so you can air down more. I’d also add a set of Max Trax and a good shovel that’s good for sand.

Just currious... recommendations on jumper packs?

I have a ‘13 LX. Stock other than Yakama rail grab with 66” bars and KO2s on 18”. I use a VIAIR (not hard install) compressor. I off road it pretty hard. Just since you asked I would hold off on a winch and do the bumper+winch at the same time. That is unless the winch you are getting could be bolted to another bumper later. Otherwise you’ll be buying a winch twice. Also with the new grill it will greatly limit your ability. As you know the approach sucks. The more I think about it Probably won’t need sliders as well until you fix the approach angle.

Or I guess you could wait to do a bumper until you rip the lower grill off yours.

I also 2nd the jumper pack but with a solar set up to recharge.

Might as well add a few pics to track the progress.

First is stock when bought new.

Second is as it sits now with tint, AR910 wheels and the Land Cruiser rain guards/window/vent visor.

stock.jpg
today.jpg

Honestly with just what you have done. Add a rack for gear, compressor, jumper pack(s). And you will he amazed how far you can go. Pretty much anything but major rock crawling.

Honestly with just what you have done. Add a rack for gear, compressor, jumper pack(s). And you will he amazed how far you can go. Pretty much anything but major rock crawling.
I gotta second this notion more or less. I had 3 kids under 5 when I 1st got my 200 and was amazed the places it got me in stock form. Wheels and tires made them opened up even more, but basically just upgraded as out adventures started to go to the next level. Your only gonna go so hard with kids that young, but where your at is already enough to get out and explore. Like I said, tires would be my #1, I have and love KO2’s. Some sort of recovery tracks like max trax or treds and a shovel, I’ve used these for many things. I’d love on board air, hopefully it’s my next upgrade, the the portable Vaiair’s do the same mostly just take a bit longer. I’m general it’s awesome you want to get your kids exposed early, it makes a world of difference how into it later they are. We were out camping wit between 3-6 month old babies and it sticks with them as they get older. Your already way ahead of the curve you got a vehicle as capable as the LX, just get out there and see what it does.

First iteration finalized/ordered today.

Installed:
20x9 AR910 (+25 offset) wheels with Defender LTX LT285/60r20

Ordered:
LRA 42g aux tank
(Plan is to go with Dissent rear bumper with spare swing out when available.

Trail Tailor hidden winch mount

Warn ZEON 12-S winch

Prinsu LX rack

(1) Rigid SR PRO 40” SPOT/DRIVE combo.

(4) Rigid SR-M Pro diffused lights

ARB Twin Compressor, bracket, pump up kit, and manifold kit.

ARB LINX and Pressure Control kit.

SLEE dual battery tray and Group 35.

Off-Grid dual battery kit.

ZAMP 90W briefcase solar kit.

TO BE ORDERED when available:

Slee LX Sliders

DISSENT REAR BUMPER

Planned:
23zero Sydney RTT
Awning (TBD)
Yakima Backswing
StowAway Max hitch cargo box

Last edited:
Looks like you have a lot of high quality stuff en route. One minor question... are you waiting for the bumper to install the LRA tank? Otherwise, where would your spare go? It won't fit in the StowAway (been there, done that, though the StowAway is awesome and simply swallows gear otherwise).

Looks like you have a lot of high quality stuff en route. One minor question... are you waiting for the bumper to install the LRA tank? Otherwise, where would your spare go? It won't fit in the StowAway (been there, done that, though the StowAway is awesome and simply swallows gear otherwise).

Great question. The tank is going in about a month from now, with everything else ordered. It may have to secure it on the roof rack, or come up with another option. I'm just not sure...

I like the looks of those rain guards. Just a bit taller than the Weathertech ones I usually get. Who makes them?

I have a 16' LX and am really looking for bumpers and sliders. Anyone know of any available? Or a custom fabricator willing to take on the project? Im in Denver.

Bad news:
40g tank out of stock for 60 or so days. Maybe the dissent rear will be closer to available by then so I’ll have less time required to deal with how to deal my spare relocation issue.

Good news:
Supercharger is en route:

They’re supposedly getting 444 WHP and 466WTQ with the 85mm pulley, which is the only option for me right now as there is no tuning available for the ‘18 LX, but this setup with the 85mm will work with existing ECU.

Good news:
Supercharger is en route:

They’re supposedly getting 444 WHP and 466WTQ with the 85mm pulley, which is the only option for me right now as there is no tuning available for the ‘18 LX, but this setup with the 85mm will work with existing ECU.

Pretty exciting!

Can you share details on the ECU workaround you mentioned in NEED A BOOST? Harrop/Eaton Supercharger ? Did the folks at DAP say if they've tuned any other 200s for the 2650?

Also curious who you're having do the install?

No workaround. Here is the info I received from Harrop, after a bit of back and forth. Also, DAP seems Awesome, but they don’t have anything for the ‘18LX. Not even a timeline...

“Normally a tune will yield the best results when fitting new parts as it re-calibrates the ECU to understand the new parameters from the new parts. Overall this results in better performance and often better economy and emissions. It also prevent dash lights as often the factory ECU will not recognise the part changes and put the vehicle into limp mode to protect the engine and other parts.

Normally if the MY18 ECU was tuneable (it is currently locked by the manufacture and inaccessible) we would have a calibration solution. We have developed a work around for the TVS2650 supercharger where the factory ECU will accept the parameters of the new parts without issue. It is not often that this is the case. Possibly in the future the MY18 ECU will be accessible for tuners, this will allow tuning of the ECU with the 2650 which should yield better results.”

So, I’m taking their word for it and we’ll see!

Michael at Wanderlust Overland is doing all the work. I’m really looking forward to working with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom