NEED A BOOST? Harrop/Eaton Supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a supercharger in my 100. It was great until I blew a rod. My mechanic made me promise not to buy another sc. If cruiser brothers are backing this I would feel more comfortable as I seen their support on the LRA. They are bringing really cool aussie stuff. I guess the real adventure is in the outback.

Think of it as..... a way to dispose of your old tires, properly :) Even, responsibly!

I have 50k mile warranty on my KO2 DT. A new set before I hit 50k would be nice.

I emailed Harrop to ask specifically about tuning, and they ignored the question and basically sent me a canned reply advertisement, and asked for my shipping address to send me a quote... This was not an auto-reply, but sent by someone that didn't take the time to read the 1 sentence question that I sent them.

Well thanks, you're killing me, I'm actually trying to figure out how to make this work now, but can't be first.
FWIW - Remember overseas the transmission, transfercase and rear end have to live with a twin turbo V8 diesel that has significantly more torque than the 5.7 gas V8. So there’s certainly some margin in the design.

Which model are you referring to? None of the current model V8 that I could locate, gas or diesel, had much more power than the US spec 5.7. Not saying you are wrong, just wondering what model you are talking about? I'd also be curious to see if there are any model with significantly higher torque attached to the 8sp tranny.

I emailed Harrop to ask specifically about tuning, and they ignored the question and basically sent me a canned reply advertisement, and asked for my shipping address to send me a quote... This was not an auto-reply, but sent by someone that didn't take the time to read the 1 sentence question that I sent them.
Ya, that happens.

Sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't see a practical need for a supercharger on this truck consider how much power it already makes (towing could potentially be a "need", but there are so many trucks better suited for towing). Gears are helpful on some builds, but a supercharger is adding unnecessary stress and complexity. Most here, including me, buy a Toyota for reliability and relative simplicity and durability. It seems like a SC is answering a question that nobody (or very few) is asking.

Im at 440hp and 1080nm at the wheels (all 4) but in the TTD. Do you have ECU tuners over there? Another option is Unichip or possibly the new Safari ECU

Which model are you referring to? None of the current model V8 that I could locate, gas or diesel, had much more power than the US spec 5.7. Not saying you are wrong, just wondering what model you are talking about? I'd also be curious to see if there are any model with significantly higher torque attached to the 8sp tranny.

Aussie spec twin turbo diesel 4.5 V8: 650nm (485 ft-lbs) from 1600-2600 with the 6 spd Auto. (Toyota.com.au)

Im at 440hp and 1080nm at the wheels (all 4) but in the TTD. Do you have ECU tuners over there? Another option is Unichip or possibly the new Safari ECU

1080nm = 810 ft-lbs AT WHEELS.

We do, but I don’t think you can get anywhere near as much performance boost from tuning a naturally aspirated engine as you can from a turbocharged engine.

So I’ve been getting conflicting info. But I think I’ve got it all straightened out.

Harrop says that the ‘18 LX will NOT need tuning. Which is good because at present nobody can do it.

Harrop directed me to DAP Tuning it Ft Worth, who has helped HARROP develop the tuning for other years and vehicles.

DAP initially said that tuning for the ‘18 was required, but unavailable. But then deferred to Harrop. Harrop then confirmed the following:

“Normally a tune will yield the best results when fitting new parts as it re-calibrates the ECU to understand the new parameters from the new parts. Overall this results in better performance and often better economy and emissions. It also prevent dash lights as often the factory ECU will not recognise the part changes and put the vehicle into limp mode to protect the engine and other parts.

Normally if the MY18 ECU was tuneable (it is currently locked by the manufacture and inaccessible) we would have a calibration solution. We have developed a work around for the TVS2650 supercharger where the factory ECU will accept the parameters of the new parts without issue. It is not often that this is the case. Possibly in the future the MY18 ECU will be accessible for tuners, this will allow tuning of the ECU with the 2650 which should yield better results.”

DAP sounds like an awesome outfit. They offer both dyno tuning and remote tuning for those of us not in Ft. Worth.

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

My experience with Harrop has been absolutely horrible. Feel free to check my build thread for details. I cannot possibly imagine having to get them to stand behind any type of warranty issue. Not that they Wouldn’t do the right thing eventually, but rather that they Have shown that they really don’t care about their customer. Causing serious issues to their customer by selling a product that isn’t right just isn’t a big deal, and they have no qualms about taking days and days to respond, even when being repeatedly told that the car is torn down and we’re stuck at a standstill and paying for a rental car. Zero interest in taking responsibility.
I’d be happy to refer you to my shop that attempted the install so you can hear firsthand what their experience was like.

Now to be fair, my application is slightly different than the run-of-the-mill LC 200. However, my position is that a company‘s true colors and reliability become manifest when the problems show up. And they couldn’t have performed worse. So while you would likely have an easy install if you have a standard application, my concern would be with how it might be handled in the future if you have any problems. Furthermore, I was sold a product that was supposed to be bolt on ready and was not, So it really makes me wonder how many different ECUs and models did they actually test this for? Have they really tested it on your exact application or are they just making an assumption that it will work?

Last edited:
Wow. Sorry to hear that. A supercharger has been on my list for a while, before when I had a tundra and now with an LX.
Thanks for the update. I’ll check your build thread.

I know DAP has tune a Harrop SC tundra. The dyno output was awesome and way better magnuson SC tundra. DAP tuning has built a good reputation among Tundra communities. DAP has tuned many tundra 5.7 with magnuson SC.

So I’ve been getting conflicting info. But I think I’ve got it all straightened out.

Harrop says that the ‘18 LX will NOT need tuning. Which is good because at present nobody can do it.

Harrop directed me to DAP Tuning it Ft Worth, who has helped HARROP develop the tuning for other years and vehicles.

DAP initially said that tuning for the ‘18 was required, but unavailable. But then deferred to Harrop. Harrop then confirmed the following:

“Normally a tune will yield the best results when fitting new parts as it re-calibrates the ECU to understand the new parameters from the new parts. Overall this results in better performance and often better economy and emissions. It also prevent dash lights as often the factory ECU will not recognise the part changes and put the vehicle into limp mode to protect the engine and other parts.

Normally if the MY18 ECU was tuneable (it is currently locked by the manufacture and inaccessible) we would have a calibration solution. We have developed a work around for the TVS2650 supercharger where the factory ECU will accept the parameters of the new parts without issue. It is not often that this is the case. Possibly in the future the MY18 ECU will be accessible for tuners, this will allow tuning of the ECU with the 2650 which should yield better results.”

DAP sounds like an awesome outfit. They offer both dyno tuning and remote tuning for those of us not in Ft. Worth.

As one that has spent some time tuning turbo and supercharges Lexus's via piggybacks and standalones back in the day...

Tuning is not an optional part. It is THE critical part that brings it all together. Without calibration and tuning, it's not going to take advantage of the parts and will turn your almost $100k fine running vehicle into a bastard crapshoot. At best, it'll routinely throw CELs and go into limp mode. At worst, it'll blow up.

Don't believe any outfit that tells you tuning is optional and that an ECU will magically "recognize" and "re-calibrate" itself. No. Such. Thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom