More Power Puller Review - Comealong as a Winch Alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Basic recovery gear is a minimum when going off-pavement. We all know that. A shovel, some cable or straps, a hi-lift, etc. My dilemma is that realistically, I can count on one hand the number of times a year I do this. Hopefully more in the future, but not currently worth investing in. Winches are great, but by the time you've invested in a good one, plus a bumper rated to hold it, you're in a for a good four figures. I happen to like the stock look of my rig as well, so the question was, what are my options?

Whether you call them pullers or comealongs, there are a large number of cheap ones available. Harbor Fright will sell you one for $30. The basic idea is that you trade hand labor and patience for mechanical advantage. My threshold was something for worst case: middle of the night, in the rain, by myself. In other words, American made and heavy-duty.

That narrows the field quickly. Two options at the 3 and 4 ton capacity*, respectively, are the Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller:

wyeth-scott-more-power-3t-rope-puller-3-35-a-slt-27.jpg

and the Maasdam 8000:

maasdam-8000sb-4-ton-powr-pull.jpg

The Wyeth Scott company was kind enough to send me a unit to evaluate. It is their top of the line model, fitted with 35' of 13k# Amsteel synthetic rope. The Maasdam belongs to a neighbor and I have used it a few times. It's higher capacity by a ton* and has about 15' of steel cable.

I won't go into all the details here, but you can watch videos here and here. I'm awaiting a good day to head out on some forest service roads with friends to film an actual recovery, which will be the real test. I'll post that video for you guys. However, so far, the Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller has a great combination of power, size, and build quality. At ~$360 for the model I tested, the cost is about twice the Maasdam I tested and significantly more than you could pay for a cheap Chinese-made puller, but still a great value compared to a winch. Plus, what's getting unstuck worth?

* about rated capacity: LIFT rating is typically half of DRAG rating. In other words, a 3-ton model will be capable of dragging about 12,000 lbs., which is why the More Power Puller has 13,000 lb. test rope. I'd bet this assumes a fairly smooth, snag-free surface. However, when shopping for comealongs, it's important to take the 2x factor for the line into account. An advertised tonnage with a cable break strength around that tonnage is one sign that you're buying junk.

About synthetic rope: it's lightweight, compact, coils nicely, but has to be cared for. No kinks, knots or pulling over sharp edges, and you need a 5-wrap minimum on the drum before starting your pull.

I have a Maasdaam 4 Ton. My complaints are pretty limited. The only thing I'd change is maybe spool on more cable as I think hook-to-hook you only get about 12 feet if you use the pulley, but you can get a bit more out if you undo the shackle/pulley and connect to like a vehicle shackle. Also watch out - although it's a 4 ton puller, the shackle it comes with is only rated for 1.5. I have a couple long slings to overcome the short length.

The More Power Puller is an excellent choice if you don't want a electric winch right now.

Here is something I like even better...can't attach a link right now...but look up 'Black Rat Hand Winch'.

I have a 8274 now...but before that I used the Black Rat...dependable, strong, foolproof...never let me down.

It's a design that was perfected and used to pull heavy equipment during WW11.

The More Power Puller is an excellent choice if you don't want a electric winch right now.

Here is something I like even better...can't attach a link right now...but look up 'Black Rat Hand Winch'.

I have a 8274 now...but before that I used the Black Rat...dependable, strong, foolproof...never let me down.

Winchless Recovery Kit - Any Suggestions?, Post #17.

Basic recovery gear is a minimum when going off-pavement. We all know that. A shovel, some cable or straps, a hi-lift, etc. My dilemma is that realistically, I can count on one hand the number of times a year I do this. Hopefully more in the future, but not currently worth investing in. Winches are great, but by the time you've invested in a good one, plus a bumper rated to hold it, you're in a for a good four figures. I happen to like the stock look of my rig as well, so the question was, what are my options?

Whether you call them pullers or comealongs, there are a large number of cheap ones available. Harbor Fright will sell you one for $30. The basic idea is that you trade hand labor and patience for mechanical advantage. My threshold was something for worst case: middle of the night, in the rain, by myself. In other words, American made and heavy-duty.

That narrows the field quickly. Two options at the 3 and 4 ton capacity*, respectively, are the Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller:

wyeth-scott-more-power-3t-rope-puller-3-35-a-slt-27.jpg

and the Maasdam 8000:

maasdam-8000sb-4-ton-powr-pull.jpg

The Wyeth Scott company was kind enough to send me a unit to evaluate. It is their top of the line model, fitted with 35' of 13k# Amsteel synthetic rope. The Maasdam belongs to a neighbor and I have used it a few times. It's higher capacity by a ton* and has about 15' of steel cable.

I won't go into all the details here, but you can watch videos here and here. I'm awaiting a good day to head out on some forest service roads with friends to film an actual recovery, which will be the real test. I'll post that video for you guys. However, so far, the Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller has a great combination of power, size, and build quality. At ~$360 for the model I tested, the cost is about twice the Maasdam I tested and significantly more than you could pay for a cheap Chinese-made puller, but still a great value compared to a winch. Plus, what's getting unstuck worth?

* about rated capacity: LIFT rating is typically half of DRAG rating. In other words, a 3-ton model will be capable of dragging about 12,000 lbs., which is why the More Power Puller has 13,000 lb. test rope. I'd bet this assumes a fairly smooth, snag-free surface. However, when shopping for comealongs, it's important to take the 2x factor for the line into account. An advertised tonnage with a cable break strength around that tonnage is one sign that you're buying junk.

About synthetic rope: it's lightweight, compact, coils nicely, but has to be cared for. No kinks, knots or pulling over sharp edges, and you need a 5-wrap minimum on the drum before starting your pull.
Thanks for the info. Looks like an awesome product. Looking forward to reading your report.

I saw that squarish design (which I assume is the Black Rat) under what appeared to be different brand names such as Tirfor, but it was unclear exactly where/how to buy it. Looks like a nice piece of kit, though.

Last edited:
I should also add that a good Hi-Lift can be used as a limited comealong, in case anyone is unaware. Your pull range will only be a couple of feet - less if you double up on a snatch block - but that can be the difference between being on one side of a hole or the other.

I helped my ex pull a sea plane into place with a come along. It was in the water on its pontoons but had to be pulled about 10' up a ramp onto a dock he built. It was only a two person plane but surely weighed at least a few tons if not more. We hooked it to the plane then to a tree opposite. Wasn't the easiest but it worked.

gimme a big enough level; i don't need no stinkin winches, wenches...

I use Wyeth Scott for rigging inside buildings and ship projects, great product. That being said, the units are close to $400 and you can get a basic winch for that.

I should also add that a good Hi-Lift can be used as a limited comealong, in case anyone is unaware. Your pull range will only be a couple of feet - less if you double up on a snatch block - but that can be the difference between being on one side of a hole or the other.
This is the route I went. Good quality farm jack from Tractor Supply. Fits under the rear seat of a 60.

winches only work while the battery has amps...

Harbor freight winches are 299 if I recall. Get a receiver mount under the front bumper and it will be removable and a fairly inexpensive mount. I have used hand winches when buried up to the rockers. I struggled for a long time. Trudging through the mud trying to rig a comalong to various trees is exhausting. When u get exhausted In a jam mistakes are made and bad situations can turn worse. In those moments a electric winch is worth it.

Even the small size pulls a lot and it was the first of a long list of :princess: explain-why/what!-again! stuff :wrench:
Still it needs a tow point and some puzzling to tension the right rope size (a chain is quick and easy to match)

file.php

I think there are good cases for both powered winches and for comealongs. As Lambcrusher said, winches need power, not to mention a mount point that the stock bumper cannot supply (that I know of). You're also limited to a single pull point with a winch unless it's portable. On the other hand, with a winch, you can be dry and in the vehicle and operating the brakes and steering while pulling. Using a come along solo over technical terrain (that maybe ends up running downhill towards you) could be scary. You'd need some additional rigging but ideally a partner.

I didn't mean the thread so much as "either/or", but rather as "if, then."

Here's one thing I forgot to mention about the MPP that stood out:

more-power-puller-2.jpg

The drum has ratchets and pawls on both sides, and the teeth are pretty aggressive. You only get a few clicks per swing, but the tooth lock is solid. When I have used other pullers, including the Maasdam, the ratchet has always been the failure point. A tooth doesn't fully engage or gets rounded over, and once it lets go under tension, it damages a few others.

hmm, this brings back a lot of memories. As Godwin points out, even if you have a winch, these can be very useful. I have a winch, but used to keep one in the box for times when you needed to pull in two different directions, i.e. the vehicle is sliding sideways, leaning heavily, or an obstacle needs to be adjusted that isn't where you can make it work with the winch. Those tasks never required the weight, bulk, or power of the units being discussed here, and the smaller ones were always plenty. I never tried to move anything as big as Godwin's log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom