Model Year vs Mileage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to buy my first Land Cruiser and have narrowed it down to 2 particular vehicles. A 2000 w/ 150k miles and a 2003 with 200k miles.

I am questioning the real world implications of the 2003 updates vs the earlier models, namely the 5 speed tranny, stronger driveshafts, and variable gear steering.

I am sure that the intended use of the truck is important. As a full time rancher the vehicle will spend the majority of its time off road and making errand runs to town. There will be 3-4 hr trips on the highway between ranches several times a month.

As a newbie to the world of Toyotas I am also trying to understand the proper way of looking at odometer mileage. It seems to be a unique thing for Land Cruisers.

Any advice or things to think of would be greatly appreciated. Excited to join this community!

Read Slee's buyers guide, it has all the stuff to look for and the differences between each year/ LC vs LX
And welcome to mud!

Last edited:
Not sure what the unique thing is about mileage for Land Cruiser's is (or '03 drive shafts?), I think it holds true for most Toyotas that if well taken care of, they'll far surpass their counterparts. I'd be looking at the service history of each of the trucks you're interested in.

Not sure what the unique thing is about mileage for Land Cruiser's is (or '03 drive shafts?), I think it holds true for most Toyotas that if well taken care of, they'll far surpass their counterparts. I'd be looking at the service history of each of the trucks you're interested in.

I was referencing Slee’s buyers guide that mentions stronger U-joints and larger tubes as a 2003 driveshaft update.

As far as mileage I just meant that the number on the odometer seems less of a consideration in Land Cruisers than for other vehicles, service history withstanding.

Thanks for the replies.

I would look hard at the condition and service of both vehicles. I would purchase which ever is in better condition. I can put 50K miles on a vehicle in just over a year so mileage is not as big of a concern as the condition of the equipment.

If both are equal I personally would take the 03' over the 00' because I like the 5spd transmission. If you plan to change out the radio though the 00' (if no navigation) will be much much easier. Also to consider the 03' if it has not had a TB/WP done will need one as soon as purchased......or maybe the 00' is 50K miles overdue for one. You will just have to do some digging to determine what is best for you. In my research there isnt really any year 100 series to avoid. They all pretty much have the same "issues" which are basically maintenance items.

The 2000 has a distinct ticking noise from the engine, I’ve been told by the seller this is a common “4.7 tick”. Anything to worry about here?

I have data to back this up but seems like the 2000’s have more transmission issues. I’d lean toward the 2003, all things being equal.

I’ve got 296k on my 2000. I’ve got the tick that goes away after warmed up. It’s an exhaust leak I believe. Just haven’t gotten around to doing anything with it as other items pop up.

My transmission grenaded with 250k miles and I had it rebuilt in 2020. And no issues since

The 2000 has a distinct ticking noise from the engine, I’ve been told by the seller this is a common “4.7 tick”. Anything to worry about here?
Like poster above said could be an exhaust manifold leak. I havent had to replace mine but have heard the job is quite the PITA. Could also be injector noise (pretty normal for a lot of injectors to have a tick noise), lifters, fuel pulsation damper, fuel pressure regulator. I would bet its manifolds though, should be pretty obvious listening through the wheel well area

"Seller says it has that good ol 4.7 tick" makes me LOL.

A seller will say anything to get a vehicle sold.

Like others have mentioned, the tick could be a number of things. I'd also check the spark plug torque to see if that is the source of the tick (on the 03 as well).

Good luck on your quest!

The ticking is most likely the exhaust manifold, they tend to crack at the stud eyelets. As far as transmission, you can certainly get into the weeds on this forum regarding the year 2000 transmissions, but I understand there were more manufactured/imported in that model year. There are many out there in excess of 200,000 (mine included) with no transmission issues, something I can't say for any truck I've previously owned. That's a fair amount of driving you're considering, people don't buy these for their fuel economy...

I would buy the one with the best service records and after that a slight bias towards the one with the fewest miles.

Driveshaft failure isn’t an issue with these things and transmission issues should have already popped up by those mileages.

I’ve been driving my 2000 with the exhaust leak tick for 3 years. It’s not really an issue.

The ticking is most likely the exhaust manifold, they tend to crack at the stud eyelets. As far as transmission, you can certainly get into the weeds on this forum regarding the year 2000 transmissions, but I understand there were more manufactured/imported in that model year. There are many out there in excess of 200,000 (mine included) with no transmission issues, something I can't say for any truck I've previously owned. That's a fair amount of driving you're considering, people don't buy these for their fuel economy...

Decided on the 2000. The seller is passionate about his rigs and meticulous with maintenance. Replaced the heater Ts, power steering lines and reservoir, CV axles, steering rack, drive flanges, tie rod ends, oil cooler, ignition coils and spark plugs all within the last 10k miles. The tick turned out to be a coil pack that wasn’t seated properly, quick replacement and no more ticking.

When comparing the fuel economy/fuel prices to my loaded one ton diesel work rig, I don’t think the sting will be too bad.

I imagine I’ll add fuel capacity, replacement or auxiliary, in the near future. Spare is already bumper mounted. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for all the info, excited to join the community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom