Estimated Longevity for High Mileage, but Well-Maintained 4.7? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice here, I found a high-mileage 2001 LX470 with roughly 275k miles on it. It's been serviced at the local Lexus dealership over 240k of those miles as well, so that's a win. And it looks like the last 35k miles were at a local shop, the owner was very consistent and timely with his services.

So my question is: what's the Estimated Longevity for high mileage, but well-maintained 4.7?

I know this is a vague question, but it seems like many of the 80s series owners have had head gasket issues around 200k-300k miles, so I'm wondering what the deal is with these 4.7 engines?

I'm used to legit longevity with these machines with regular maintenance. We had a '89 FJ62 when I grew up, with regular maintenance she was just driving fine with 352k miles until my sister totaled it. While my dad was driving the FJ 62, my mom got a 2000 or 2001 LX470, that lasted until 315k when she traded it in, again regular maintenance. And my wife has a 2013 LX570 that's got 192k miles and is doing well. And, my first vehicle was a '99 4Runner that was running like a top until someone hit me and totaled it.

As for why I want this, I'd like for it to be my DD around town. I work from home, so I put like 5 miles on my current Tundra daily just putzing around to the store for errands, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

They will run a very long time. They are known as million mile motors . Of course that all requires preventative maintenance as you know. T-belts at proper intervals including the water pump , cam/crank seals , valve adjustment, spark plugs, and it’s not uncommon to have to replace coil packs etc. Suspension stuff wears out too but it’s best to just keep up with what needs to be done at the time and it will give you many years of service.

They will run a very long time. They are known as million mile motors . Of course that all requires preventative maintenance as you know. T-belts at proper intervals including the water pump , cam/crank seals , valve adjustment, spark plugs, and it’s not uncommon to have to replace coil packs etc. Suspension stuff wears out too but it’s best to just keep up with what needs to be done at the time and it will give you many years of service.
Thank you! I really appreciate the post! Should have mentioned a new radiator was installed in 2017, and a new timing belt was installed last month.

My 06 LC is just knocking on 200k. This winter I kicked off a TB/WP replacement that ended up with most of the front of the motor renewed. Pulleys, belts, and brackets. (See build thread). It is easily the quietest running V8 I’ve ever heard. Now, i do question whether the replacement parts are of the same quality as the original parts bolted on at the factory. I thought the prices were crazy, but it was less than 4-5 months of payments on a used, low mileage 200.

There are some hi-dolllar refits on the horizon. The starter is original and the truck still sports an AHC system that I will likely replace with an E system rather then refurbish further.

In my experience, with reasonable maintenance, the engine is the least of my worries. The most likely thing to kill the 2UZ-FE in a 100 series, is overheating, due to plastic tank on radiator, or plastic heater T’s being ignored. More likely that you’ll have shot bushings (steering rack, front diff, swaybar, control arms), and mounts (engine, transmission), and the above mentioned plastic bits, than catastrophic engine failure, at the mileage that you’re talking about.

To be honest the engine should be the lesser worry if you are proactively maintaining it. It is a quiet engine, under stressed and over designed compared to other high performance V8s with turbocbargers or new modern electronic gadgets.

Most old LC100 I saw the things that were concerning was suspension/bushings/ball joints and CVs and steering boots leaking or getting very crunchy and old, and plastic pieces and hoses getting brittle and falling apart, exhaust systems getting old and crunchy, and of course the arch nemesis : rust on the chassis and body. Rust is sometime I watch out for unless you live in a dry environment then bless you.

I would be more worry the car rusts out as it is very hard to repair it. If a 4.7L blows up you can still find a spare one and mount it in.

She drove really well during the test drive, engine felt smooth and strong. The LX was in excellent condition too, I was shocked, it looked like a ten-year old car inside and out, not a 23-year-old car.

My only concerns as that the transmission felt a little clunky, and the AHC made a knocking when going from N to H.

I'm thinking a transmission flush and refill and some love to the AHC should help these issues?

I prefer just a tranny drain and refill instead of a flush. You can also change the AHC fluid too, and while you’re at it change the steering fluid, brake fluid, and diff/transfer oil, and engine oil. Doing it yourself can save money, put it in a large container the oil and send it to your recycling center like the auto shop, note cannot mix coolant or brake fluid with the oil…

If you want a smoother drivetrain you can also grease the CV joint and shaft, like the preventative maintenance states in the manual. Repacking/greasing the wheel bearings can also help, and if your wheels have a lot of play when you lift it up like mine did when I bought a used 170K, you can get some new bearings. I chose to redo my flanges, rotors and Cv axles on my 170K as it looks real worn.

Heres a link I found for lubing the axles

The truck may last the rest of your life - not kidding, but you need to be prepared to spend money to maintain it. Between 250-300k miles I replaced most of the accessories and all of the suspension bushings/joints. Seals start to fail. I do think I probably will have a couple hundred thousand more miles with lower maintenance, though.

To be honest the engine should be the lesser worry if you are proactively maintaining it. It is a quiet engine, under stressed and over designed compared to other high performance V8s with turbocbargers or new modern electronic gadgets.

Most old LC100 I saw the things that were concerning was suspension/bushings/ball joints and CVs and steering boots leaking or getting very crunchy and old, and plastic pieces and hoses getting brittle and falling apart, exhaust systems getting old and crunchy, and of course the arch nemesis : rust on the chassis and body. Rust is sometime I watch out for unless you live in a dry environment then bless you.

I would be more worry the car rusts out as it is very hard to repair it. If a 4.7L blows up you can still find a spare one and mount it in.
this ^ . mileage doest really matter, its the age

With proper maintenance they will run until you total it. ;)

Maintenance by the book, CVs every couple years, and a new rack once over the 320k life so far. I also kill my brakes by packing them with mud. That is pricey, but that is on me.

Miles are not a problem. Maintain it well, and it will go till you are done.

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_5444.jpeg

Maintenance by the book, CVs every couple years, and a new rack once over the 320k life so far. I also kill my brakes by packing them with mud. That is pricey, but that is on me.

Miles are not a problem. Maintain it well, and it will go till you are done.

Glad to see you still around on MUD.

My '06 has 294K and runs like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom