100 vs FJC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for one of these units. I have a 200 series also. I need a vehicle to pull behind my bus. This vehicle will also be taken off road when we are in the middle of no where. FJC seems eaiser to park in the city.

I like the idea of the 100 series, more room for my 2 kids. I dislike the part prices, the extra 1800lbs. The v8 is nice

FJC love the weight, it’s so capable, lack of size.

I’m leaning toward the FJC since I could really go places I don’t want to take my 200 series and it only uses 40% of my towing capacity vs 60%.

Looking for feedback

I know one complaint I have heard is the windshield height is a pain for approaches. I have no personal experience but two guys that I work with are very trail tested, one of which had a sweet FJC. That and the had door situation. Half door kills it for me totally. Honestly, if you like the FJC for its capabilities buy a 4Runner. Same platform, same capabilities, in a better body package IMO. I love my 5th Gen, if it came with the 4.7 V8 like the 4th Gen, it would be my main vehicle.

I know one complaint I have heard is the windshield height is a pain for approaches. I have no personal experience but two guys that I work with are very trail tested, one of which had a sweet FJC. That and the had door situation. Half door kills it for me totally. Honestly, if you like the FJC for its capabilities buy a 4Runner. Same platform, same capabilities, in a better body package IMO. I love my 5th Gen, if it came with the 4.7 V8 like the 4th Gen, it would be my main vehicle.
I can’t flat tow a 4 runner so it’s out

Could do a gx470, but would rather have the LC if given the choice

The FJC is fun, the 100 is practical and refined.

If it's a tow-behind I'd go FJC. Especially if you can score a 6 speed.

If you're doing a ton of driving in this car though, the LC is tough to beat on the highway. Off-road the FJC gets my vote all day long.

My very limited experience in an fjc (passanger on offroad portion of coyote flats outside of bishop) showed me the exremely limited vision aspect. would be tough for avoiding subtle obsticals.

The FJC is fun, the 100 is practical and refined.

If it's a tow-behind I'd go FJC. Especially if you can score a 6 speed.

If you're doing a ton of driving in this car though, the LC is tough to beat on the highway. Off-road the FJC gets my vote all day long.
6speed can’t be flat towed to my knowledge

Vehicle won’t see long highway rides as I would take the 200 series.

I thought the ideal flat tow was a manual trans with neutral transfer case?

I thought the ideal flat tow was a manual trans with neutral transfer case?
I could be wrong, but you just need the transfer case to be able to go to N.

6 speed would prob be a no no as my wife hasn’t learned to drive one. Last attempt to
Teach her went badly

When I was in the market to replace my totaled Suburban with a Land Cruiser, I was looking at 100 Series and FJC's. While they may seem very divergent, either would have been a viable solution for me. I have one kid and he was seven at the time I was shopping so "family-sized" could have gone either way. The 1GR-FE and the 2UZ-FE are both fantastic engines...what appealed to me about the 1GR-FE was relative power, durability and the fact that it has a timing chain rather than a timing belt. The inside of an FJC is like a Subaru Forester in that it is deceptively large for taller drivers. The cargo room goes to the 100 Series but solutions exist for both (more so for a 3-member family than a 4-member family). Parts are seemingly more abundant and less expensive for the FJC. The knocks on the FJC are poor visibility and the slope of the windshield is nearly nonexistent, this means that almost every rock impact equates to needing to replace the windshield. Having said all that, I love my 100 Series but it's a primary DD for me, not a tow-behind.

I can’t flat tow a 4 runner so it’s out

Could do a gx470, but would rather have the LC if given the choice
Can I ask what makes a GX470 applicable but not a 4th Gen 4Runner? Outside of AHC and later KDSS, it’s the same platform - J120. Same full time 4WD, center diff, and 4.7 V8 engine.
No rude intention with the question either, just general curiosity. I am looking at the GX470 as a possible replacement down the road to my aging 100. The 4th Gen 4Runner being a close second and also the only model of 4Runner I’ve not owned.

Can I ask what makes a GX470 applicable but not a 4th Gen 4Runner? Outside of AHC and later KDSS, it’s the same platform - J120. Same full time 4WD, center diff, and 4.7 V8 engine.
No rude intention with the question either, just general curiosity. I am looking at the GX470 as a possible replacement down the road to my aging 100. The 4th Gen 4Runner being a close second and also the only model of 4Runner I’ve not owned.

I keep seeing the gx a few thousand less then the 100 series, for a few thousand I would rather have the bigger 100 vs the gx. Im not ruling one out but haven’t had the best luck finding a decent one.

I have 3 stock 100 series on my radar and 1 FCJ that is somewhat built.

im leaning towards FJC since its easier to flat tow and would be a 2nd vehicle

Why can’t a 5th gen 4Runner be flat towed?

I have no say in the LC 100 - but we have a daily FJC that is almost to 300k miles. Problems are the clam shell diffs - no room for upgrades without BIG BUCKS. The V6 is horribly underpowered, and awful on gas. My 1uz LS400 gets better mileage and its tuned on a standalone and gets abused. currently the FJC wont go into 4L because the CEL is on for the cats (p0420). Without it locking the diffs, its horrible in the snow. I took out a couple tposts this winter, and the wife slid off the road into trees during a storm. Known for trim panels flying off (specifically the square sail panel on the drivers side, the hood nose trim, and the windshield upper trim). Blind spots are pretty big. But also - we have a cane corso, a bedlington terrier, a pom, and a shih tzu - and 3 kids. The half doors suck - I hate them. but we cant fit the dogs, and the kids in it. So we can bring ONE dog, and the kids. Cargo space is pretty mediocre. Its honestly a very hyped up car, and has a following but not because its a great car, but because its a niche like scion XB kind of car.

No issues with my GX470.

Jason
TT

1711321053142.jpeg

Only the trd pro 4 runner has the manual transfer case. All the other 4 runners have automatic transfer cases

No issues with my GX470.

Jason
TT

View attachment 3590284

Nice class A

I have no say in the LC 100 - but we have a daily FJC that is almost to 300k miles. Problems are the clam shell diffs - no room for upgrades without BIG BUCKS. The V6 is horribly underpowered, and awful on gas. My 1uz LS400 gets better mileage and its tuned on a standalone and gets abused. currently the FJC wont go into 4L because the CEL is on for the cats (p0420). Without it locking the diffs, its horrible in the snow. I took out a couple tposts this winter, and the wife slid off the road into trees during a storm. Known for trim panels flying off (specifically the square sail panel on the drivers side, the hood nose trim, and the windshield upper trim). Blind spots are pretty big. But also - we have a cane corso, a bedlington terrier, a pom, and a shih tzu - and 3 kids. The half doors suck - I hate them. but we cant fit the dogs, and the kids in it. So we can bring ONE dog, and the kids. Cargo space is pretty mediocre. Its honestly a very hyped up car, and has a following but not because its a great car, but because its a niche like scion XB kind of car.

Why do you keep it around.
Sucks the 0420 prevents you from getting into 4lo.

Does it need new cats?

I don’t know if the 4th gen 4 runner has a manual transfer case. If it does, I can add it to the list.

Most photos of 4th gen 4 runners don’t have the manual shifter it’s just a push button

I would 100% take a GX but they seem to be just as much as an LX

3) The GX470 has a manual-shift transfer case while the 4Runner has an electronically-controlled transfer case.

Why do you keep it around.
Sucks the 0420 prevents you from getting into 4lo.

Does it need new cats?
yeah needs new cats. lol we keep it because my lady thinks its "cute". Thats her car - whole reason I bought a LC - nothing is going to prevent it from going to 4L no more. Imma bang that tcase into 4L and its gonna either move all 4 wheels, or somethings gonna go bang. She is obsessed with it though. She wants ANOTHER one. I told her to get an LX but we will see.

yeah needs new cats. lol we keep it because my lady thinks its "cute". Thats her car - whole reason I bought a LC - nothing is going to prevent it from going to 4L no more. Imma bang that tcase into 4L and its gonna either move all 4 wheels, or somethings gonna go bang. She is obsessed with it though. She wants ANOTHER one. I told her to get an LX but we will see.
My wife likes the FJC more than a 100 series. I like the size of the 100 series

My wife likes the FJC more than a 100 series. I like the size of the 100 series
dont let her do it to you. lol I even work at toyota. and when an LC comes through, its special. When a FJC comes through, its normal. 3 of our employees drive em. I am waiting for the engine to blow in the FJ so I can put a v8 in it and THEN maybe it will be better. but ours is lifted 3" and on 33s, and where we live its all mountains so that little wheezy 4.0 is putting in WORK

dont let her do it to you. lol I even work at toyota. and when an LC comes through, its special. When a FJC comes through, its normal. 3 of our employees drive em. I am waiting for the engine to blow in the FJ so I can put a v8 in it and THEN maybe it will be better. but ours is lifted 3" and on 33s, and where we live its all mountains so that little wheezy 4.0 is putting in WORK

I’m trying to hold her off. I did buy a 200 series and I never get to drive it since she takes it and I’m stuck with an 05 odyssey or 700hp track car

4Runner trail and TRD off-road all have manual transfer cases too, it’s not limited to the TRD pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom