100 vs tundra in snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, snow day here in northern va so I just took both my tundra and 100 out to see how they handle. Both on an unplowed gravel road with some steep inclines. I have to say the 100 seemed to handle much better. i tried 4H and 4L in both and didn’t seem to make much difference (I know 100 doesn’t technically have 4H). What primarily is the reason for this? For ref the 100 is a 2006 with 180k miles and has 34” Nitto mt’s, tundra is a 2023 with 34” toyo mt’s.

I have a similar stable, with similar findings. I think the weight distribution over the wheelbase makes the difference.
My tundra won’t go anywhere in 2wd when the surface is slick.
They are both pretty capable but the difference in weight will allow it to stick to the road better in some situations. More weight of the cruiser might allow it to bust through the deeper snow, but the downside is a maybe bit less unstable when cornering. Load some weight in the back of the tundra and test again if you're curious, it might change the results.

*** After a google search, they appear to be similar weights lol so there goes that theory. The cruiser is just better cuz it is, how's that for scientific proof=] Maybe the AWD system performs a bit better. I went out last summer in a tundra and we went through some deep mud and the traction control kept kicking on and taking power away at the worst times.

A side note - general rule of thumb with any of these 4x4's is, if anything other than your wheels are touching the ground you better start diggin. This applies for mud,snow,rocks, whatever. Once the earth touches the vehicle you need to overcome with power and traction. I've seen countless people just beating on their vehicles trying to find the necessary traction.

What's the reason for them handling similarly or what's the reason for the 100 being full time 4wd? If the prior, I would say because they're both four wheel drive, if the later, I would guess it's because the target market for the 100 new likely wouldn't think about shifting between 2 and 4 wheel drive, they just would want seamless use.

Load some weight in the back of the tundra and test again if you're curious, it might change the results.
Totally agree 100%- I have a go fast camper and 100lbs of various gear loaded at any given time but the OME heavy suspension kit probably cancels out the extra weight.

I do feel like a higher percentage of weight is further forward on a tundra, and that makes the difference between 100vsTundra 4wd handling; but have zero references for that statement. (Do feelings count as tech?)

I like the way @Trunk Monkey put it, re: seamless use in the 100. For me better said as idiot proof lol.

It mostly comes down to weight balance and the 4wd system. Add some weight in the bed of the Tundra and swap the Torsen center differential from an LX600 and things might be different.

P.S. When you engage the CDL on the 100, it is just like 4H.

Last edited:
It mostly comes down to weight balance and the 4wd system. Add some weight in the bed of the Tundra and swap the Torsen center differential from an LX600 and things might be different.
Or just trade the tundra for an LX!? I like where this is going.

I'd be curious how they do in the snow going downhill. My LX is a little skittish on slick downhills to the point where I sometimes have to hug the sides on these mountain roads for fear of sliding off the other end. Although I haven't REALLY tested that since getting new tires (Falken Wildpeaks.)

Hey there, snow day here in northern va so I just took both my tundra and 100 out to see how they handle. Both on an unplowed gravel road with some steep inclines. I have to say the 100 seemed to handle much better. i tried 4H and 4L in both and didn’t seem to make much difference (I know 100 doesn’t technically have 4H). What primarily is the reason for this? For ref the 100 is a 2006 with 180k miles and has 34” Nitto mt’s, tundra is a 2023 with 34” toyo mt’s.
Diff locked is 4H.

‘06 vs ‘23 is a huge gap. I’d hope the newer Tundra could at least hold its own in the snow vs the 100.

My ‘05 Tundra is pretty worthless in the snow unless I’m in 4wd and even then it’s nothing to be impressed about (open diffs). I’m thinking an Eaton LSD will help solve that.

Back in my Tacoma days I used to load a bunch of sandbags and shovel a bunch of snow into the bed to add some weight to her a$$ when we would get snow and she was pretty unstoppable. Without any weight in an empty bed she was all over the place and struggled to get moving. I'm guessing if you did the same thing with the Tundra she would perform better.

I would say rear weight may be the factor between your 100 and tundra. Tire pressure could be too. Another is final drive gear ratio as the new tundra have high speed final drive ratio to improve fuel efficiency. Longer wheel base is a factor as wheel in weight distribution to get traction.

Gotta throw weight in the back of the pickup or it’s pretty meh. Both my 4R and 100 just go through snow like pros. Also like full time 4wheel drive, it just works all the time rain/snow, no stopping and selecting anything.

My uncles mid 2010s tundra was sliding in the NH mountains while my 4R with the exact same tires was always surefooted. He was pretty lightly loaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom