Mod or New rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got a stock FJ40 15x5.5 rim from a mudder and just realized my original set is riveted and has no bead lock(little hump).

Can I even run tubeless tires without tubes or they most likely going to keep popping the bead if I even attempt to run them lower psi?
Since I was prepping them for sandblasting was even considering welding them and grinding down the rivets for future disc brake fitment, but not having that bead lock is concerning.

PXL_20220110_012832029.jpg

PXL_20220110_012855606.jpg

PXL_20220110_012851707.jpg

PXL_20220110_013009518.jpg

PXL_20220110_012956676.jpg

I think riveted wheels were for drum brakes. If you have front disc, they may not work.

Riveted wheels will not fit disc brakes. You can not just grind the rivet to make them fit. The rim center part is the problem.
Also, never heard of any issues with beads popping on riveted wheels. You can run normal tires without tubes on the riveted wheels.

This has all been covered like a million times.

Riveted wheels will not fit disc brakes. You can not just grind the rivet to make them fit. The rim center part is the problem.
Also, never heard of any issues with beads popping on riveted wheels. You can run normal tires without tubes on the riveted wheels.

This has all been covered like a million times.
For sure but what If you welded a bead like the new style rims, I can only think that balancing could be a problem if too much weld used In one section. Trying to save some money here for Yoko Mts but yes lots of work obv

Like I said above.....this bead issue is a non issue. Never heard of any problems with early rims popping beads.
If you are planning to go disc.....just buy welded rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom