Mig wire sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in Chat, but no bites, so..................................

I have a fireplace screen project going on and I have a question on Mig wire size. I normally use .023, but the screen material is going to be made out of
.047. I need to weld the screen to the frame (1" thin-wall square tube) and I am afraid that the heat will just melt the screen before I get it tacked to the frame. I think I've seen .017. Would that be a better choice. I'd hate to get down to the finish and @&@&@&@& it up. The screen has to come from Chicago and is not cheep.
Any tips on wire size and/or welding tips would be appreciated.

Ed

I have a 100amp/110V Clarke machine and a Millermatic 250 and I use either CO2 or Argon/CO2(have both)

Its not so much the wire size as the amps. 023 wire in your 110v machine with argon on your lowest setting. The co2 gives too much penetration.

Turn the voltage down. And turn the feed rate up, maybe mid position.

Start the weld on the square tube, direct the wire to the tube as you drag it to the screen, if you start on the screen or angle the wire towards the screen it will burn.'

Use the mix gas. C25 is a good gas.

.023 wire is the best.

You could try this question on a welding forum. I'm a amatuer by all means. So take this advice with a grain of salt.

OH ya and it is in the wrong section. It could be in Chat or outfitting. But to get people to bite, keep bumping it up.................

Hey my 2cents.......good luck on the welding. Its fun remember!

agreed with the above, speed the feed turn down the juice

Degnol said:
I posted this in Chat, but no bites, so..................................

I have a fireplace screen project going on and I have a question on Mig wire size. I normally use .023, but the screen material is going to be made out of
.047. I need to weld the screen to the frame (1" thin-wall square tube) and I am afraid that the heat will just melt the screen before I get it tacked to the frame. I think I've seen .017. Would that be a better choice. I'd hate to get down to the finish and @&@&@&@& it up. The screen has to come from Chicago and is not cheep.
Any tips on wire size and/or welding tips would be appreciated.

Ed

I have a 100amp/110V Clarke machine and a Millermatic 250 and I use either CO2 or Argon/CO2(have both)

If you can find the smaller wire it will help but you will be able to do it with 023 as someone already mentioned direct the heat on the tubing not the wire
use short spot like welds, use the C25 mix Argon/co2 increase the gas flow for extra cooling

In the past since I'm no welding expert , I usually do a little test run on left over material to see if I have the correct speed and amperage.

fjwagon said:
In the past since I'm no welding expert , I usually do a little test run on left over material to see if I have the correct speed and amperage.

That's a definite Roger. The material alone is almost a hundy + freight from Chi. There WILL be some practice, and then some more. If I can't get it dialed in, off to the welding shop it goes.
I must admit that the folks from McNichols have been great to deal with on quotes.....'specially since I am a hobbyist, and not exactly yer corporate account.
Every email has been answered in a timely fashion with polite comments.
I'll post a pic when I'm done, since I know you all are dying to know!;)

Thanks for all the suggestions.:)

Ed

Personally, I don't think that it is going to be a big issue, because the mesh isn't that much smaller than the tube, which is .0625 and you are just gong to tack it. In general, when welding pieces of different thickness, focus most of the heat on the thicker member and when you have the puddle going wash it into the thinner piece.

T I G :)

You like spending money and learning new trix Ed...

Poser said:
T I G :)

You like spending money and learning new trix Ed...

That is tha back-up plan for the welding shop as I have no TIG. Gonna try some of theother suggestions first. Unless of course, you want to drag YOUR TIG setup down here!

Ed;)

Bah. Just braze it with a #00 tip.

Thing like a fireplace screen you could even solder it with your bernz-o-matic.

(I liked the way they used to name things "0-matic". I had an icefishing rod called a "fish-o-matic" once, and have seen more of those kind of names than I remember, Hot stuff in the '50s......ummm, is this off topiic?)

I'd TIg it as well. You'll have more control if you can get your hands on a machine.

To add another twist.....I have decide to use a 19ga 1/4" hardware cloth which is galvanized. That adds another variable to the equation. Shouldn't I remove all/most of the galvanizing, or is it just the fumes and not the weld quality?

Honk, I have no torch setup, but I can borrow one. How will the galvanizing affect a braze?

Thanks for all the input.

Ed

You can weld it, you just want to hold your breath while doing it.... ;)

I would hit the area that you want to weld with a wire wheel first...

The noxious gas given off in the process of welding the galvanized metal, while not good for your health and a massive carcinogenic is not like getting a lung or two full of anhydrous ammonia. I have welded it, and it sinks, but it will not drop you to your knees like the ammonia does. I am glad that I no longer work on anhydrous applicators. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
You can weld it, you just want to hold your breath while doing it.... ;)

I would hit the area that you want to weld with a wire wheel first...

The noxious gas given off in the process of welding the galvanized metal, while not good for your health and a massive carcinogenic is not like getting a lung or two full of anhydrous ammonia. I have welded it, and it sinks, but it will not drop you to your knees like the ammonia does. I am glad that I no longer work on anhydrous applicators. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

If I can get it tacked in a few places, then wire wheeling the next spots to be welded would be a breeze. Thanks Poser. Glad you got away from anhydrous, mean stuff. That's why I gave up cookung Meth;)

Ed

cute ed....

Zinc fumes are not a known carcinogen, but they do cause temporary illness and inhaling the fumes is not recommended. If you are not using flux core wire, I would remove the coating first as it will cotaminate the weld.

Pin_Head said:
Zinc fumes are not a known carcinogen..

So my shop teacher was full of it when I was 14....

thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom