Builds Meet Uma and not the one you are thinking of (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you make a commitment before the first motor locks up and you still have to follow through for the 2 oldest kids auto club you show up. Even though she came on the hook she still came.
IMG_20240406_084317630.jpg

IMG_20240406_084214390.jpg

My daughter pointed this out and thought it was cool
IMG_20240406_085515936.jpg

Just read through your build thread. Inspirational is all I can say. Great respect for your commitment to this old girl. Makes me think of the one comment I heard years ago and resonates to this day…” when I’m working on my cruiser it’s actually working on me”.

Just read through your build thread. Inspirational is all I can say. Great respect for your commitment to this old girl. Makes me think of the one comment I heard years ago and resonates to this day…” when I’m working on my cruiser it’s actually working on me”.
You don't know how true that really is

I took the block, crank, cam, pistons and connecting rods to a machine shop to get measured for new bearings. Cam bearings, connecting rod bearings, thrust bearings etc. The machinist said that I am probably going to need a new cam because there was a lot of scoring and wear on the cam. The machinist has a 67 forty that he got from a friend's son, the father had passed away and has a bunch of the old parts too. I was going to get a second opinion but I he has a land cruiser so I will stay with him.

So cam bearings, thrust bearings, conrod bearings, and he even suggested new rings. He is going to hone the cylinders and clean it up.

The block has been honed, and the cam bearings are installed I was able to find a new cam from the jungle company. The crank is getting polished. I ordered the new rings today from PartSouq and should be here in a couple weeks. The cylinders were pretty clean so that is why it was just honed. Hopefully he can press off the cam timing gear so that I can reuse it. I am going to be taking the old block and pistons and head...... to a swap meet this weekend so that I can get some funding to get this finished

Not the news that I was wanting today, the machine shop called and said that he had some bad news for me. I was thinking that it was the cam timing gear wasn't usable... not it was the crank that i had just bought from eBay the thrust journal is no bueno. Hopefully I can get a refund from eBay and the company that sold me the crank.

That sucks. Will you have the machine shop assess your old crank ?

That sucks. Will you have the machine shop assess your old crank ?
Yes and he might be able to source an other crank from the pile of parts from the guy that he bought his land cruiser from and he said that there was a couple of motors that he could source a crank from. I just hope that I could get a refund on my purchase.

Last edited:
On a more positive not I was able to NOS standard rings from PartSouq that should be here in the beginning of May. The pistons should be good. I am going to be taking my 2F crank the original into the machine shop tomorrow.

Hey Dan, I know this is frustrating news but sounds like you have some options. If none work out let me know. I have a 2F crank sitting in my storage cabin. Glad to get my machine shop to take a closer look at it should you need me to.

That is definitely an option

Hey Dan, I know this is frustrating news but sounds like you have some options. If none work out let me know. I have a 2F crank sitting in my storage cabin. Glad to get my machine shop to take a closer look at it should you need me to.
I’d be game to shuttle something at least part way.

So the "new" crank thrust bearing pressure journal had a HUGE groove cut into the back end
IMG_20240424_145056526.jpg

Boo.

Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom