Measure bent wheel or axle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you measure bent rims or axles? What would be a limit?
Picture is of one wheel measured at the outside edge of the wheel.
Still chasing a vibration at around 65mph
Bearings are good, but will probably check em again. Also drive shafts are balanced.
Thanks

IMG_8414.jpeg

IMG_8413.jpeg

I've read that .050 or so is sort of a working max, but a lot depends on speeds, tire quality, etc. I'm sure our trucks are massively more forgiving than someone's new Porsche.

Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration moves? Almost every driveline vibe I've ever had boiled down to tires.

How do you measure bent rims or axles? What would be a limit?
Picture is of one wheel measured at the outside edge of the wheel.
Still chasing a vibration at around 65mph
Bearings are good, but will probably check em again. Also drive shafts are balanced.
Thanks

View attachment 3414543

View attachment 3414544

Hunter Road Force balance machine can be used to quantify whether a wheel is round/bent/twisted and tell you by how much

Not sure what you would use as a guide for replacement but.

I would assume most machine shops could tell you if an axle is bent/not

Do you have access to a tire shop with a Hunter GSP9700 machine? Measuring the bare rim on this machine for rim runout will tell you quickly if the root cause is the wheel or not. Usually with steel wheels (if the root cause is the wheel) cause vibration by the Radial 1st Harmonic Rim Runout measurements.

Below is an example of GSP9700 screen showing Rim Runout measurements. In this example, the wheel just barely exceeded the limit. This screen is from the older model GSP9700. The newer ones are different but still do the same functions.

runout.JPG

(((If and when the root cause of vibration is related to the wheel, steel wheels tend to be more common than cast alloy))) The two piece welded design which is common on many steel wheels contribute to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom