VDJ78 Rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

pulled out my rear axles as they were leaking oil a bit.
Both axles are having groove in them, the longer axle is very noticable, the short axle is little bit better.
One of the spindles got few scratches, not sure if these can cause leaks too.

So, the axles can be easily replaced, but what to do with the spindle? It is part of the differential so not replaceable. Can this be polished a bit with scotch cloth or something similar? Or push the inner seal little bit more inside the spindle and then seal it with some gasket maker?

thanks

PXL_20240114_013144646.jpg
PXL_20240114_013201042.jpg
PXL_20240114_031329701.jpg
PXL_20240114_032313089.jpg

Hello,

Spindles can get this kind of damage in time.

You can have it smoothed in a machine shop. Take the chance to polish the sections where seals and bearings seat.

Did this truck have big, wide tires? Just curious.

Juan

just install the new seal in a different location, 1mm deeper or shallower. then the lip will ride on a different spot on the axle.

Hello,

Spindles can get this kind of damage in time.

You can have it smoothed in a machine shop. Take the chance to polish the sections where seals and bearings seat.

Did this truck have big, wide tires? Just curious.

Juan
I'm running 285/75 16 tyres, as the previous owner did too

I'm running 285/75 16 tyres, as the previous owner did too
Hello,

Those are good enough.

Skinny tires (up to 10.5 in. / 265 mm) are better for 70 Series trucks, but that is just me. I had quite a few headaches because of big tires, so I am biased towards skinnies.

As mentioned above, it is appropriate to check the offset.

Juan

Are you running a larger offset on the rear though? It's not how big your tires are, it's when the offset changes that's the problem. How many kms on the vehicle?

nope, just standard offsets, same for front & rear

just over 220k on the clock

Hello,

Those are good enough.

Skinny tires (up to 10.5 in. / 265 mm) are better for 70 Series trucks, but that is just me. I had quite a few headaches because of big tires, so I am biased towards skinnies.

As mentioned above, it is appropriate to check the offset.

Juan
Yeah, when i was shopping for the tyres i went for this size as they were already on the car.
When i had a 80 series had the same size (only wider 305/70 16), but done way more offroading with the 80 series.

Next time will probably go for 265/75 for the Troopy. Might be better for touring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom