Mating up transmission to engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I’ve got the engine on a hoist. Transmission on a lift cart. They’re lined up ok. Can’t get them to come together. The alignment pins are fine. I can get the top together but then the Bottom is 2” away. What am I missing here? It would be easier if the transmission was on a hoist to account for all the axis. It’s on a cart though and I’m guessing that that’s the issue. Open to suggestions.
3476B15C-0665-41EA-B81B-BE6FA9C31916.jpeg

A0444B31-5B5F-4E43-98C2-51082E5BA12A.jpeg

Is the torque converter seated far enough into the tranny? That was a pain for me to get sorted and the fsm not much help. The min depth they list really is insufficient.. Or can you tell where it’s hitting/contacting to stop it from coming together?

Last edited:
Is the torque converter seared far enough into the tranny? That was a pain for me to get sorted and the dam not much help. The min depth they list really is insufficient.. Or can you tell where it’s hitting/contacting to stop it from coming together?
I put the torque converter on the block, not on the transmission. Not sure if it would be any easier if it were sitting loose on the transmission.

Try the converter on the trans. IIRC, you need to play with it to get it to seat fully. If not seated, you won't get it to bolt up.

Yup. Torque converter goes inside the transmission first,. Then you turn it back and forth until it is seated. It should be inside the face of the bell housing by about 1/4" I believe.

You have the torque converter bolted to the flexplate before the engine is bolted to the transmission? That's a great way to damage a torque converter and/or the transmission pump

Yup. Torque converter goes inside the transmission first,. Then you turn it back and forth until it is seated. It should be inside the face of the bell housing by about 1/4" I believe.
I have the torque converter inside the transmission side, it sits inside the bell housing by 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. It still doesn't want to mate up to the block side. I think it's a matter of angles though as the transmission is on a cart and I can't get all of the axis correct. Ideally I need a 2nd hoist. Or a strong second person.

I have the torque converter inside the transmission side, it sits inside the bell housing by 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. It still doesn't want to mate up to the block side. I think it's a matter of angles though as the transmission is on a cart and I can't get all of the axis correct. Ideally I need a 2nd hoist. Or a strong second person.
Can you change angle on the engine on the hoist? I usually match the engine to the transmission, not the transmission to the engine. Maybe block up the transmission on one end to get the angles closer?

Keep messing with the TC. I went through this same exact thing. I don't remember how far it was in, but 1/4-1/2" isn't enough. The FSM says "at least .618 inches". I remember having it sort of close and trying over and over again to get things to mate up, and it just wouldn't work. Then I focused my attention on getting the TC to seat, and when it finally did - it dropped in quite a ways - more than the .6 inches. Then getting things to mate was much easier.

Can you change angle on the engine on the hoist? I usually match the engine to the transmission, not the transmission to the engine. Maybe block up the transmission on one end to get the angles closer?
Good point. I've got the leveler attached, so changing that angle may help some. I am taking it slow.

Keep messing with the TC. I went through this same exact thing. I don't remember how far it was in, but 1/4-1/2" isn't enough. The FSM says "at least .618 inches". I remember having it sort of close and trying over and over again to get things to mate up, and it just wouldn't work. Then I focused my attention on getting the TC to seat, and when it finally did - it dropped in quite a ways - more than the .6 inches. Then getting things to mate was much easier.
I'll take it on and off a few more times to see if I can get it to seat further. I'm in the garage with it on a cart, so it's not hard to keep trying to get it on further.

I'll take it on and off a few more times to see if I can get it to seat further. I'm in the garage with it on a cart, so it's not hard to keep trying to get it on further.

I remember slowly spinning it and trying to apply pressure. It took a long time for me to get it. One of the more frustrating parts of my engine install for sure. Good luck.

I remember slowly spinning it and trying to apply pressure. It took a long time for me to get it. One of the more frustrating parts of my engine install for sure. Good luck.

Flat bar below the center point, that's the measurement I get. It looks right?

As you can see, flat bar across, the center piece sticks out a bit.

1B638662-CECF-4A30-BC5E-2EE01AA60078.jpeg

9544884F-D059-412B-BE84-CE5CB1FD13C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the measurement. I really wish I could remember how far it sat in. Let me dig around and see if I can find a picture.

So I don't have any pictures, but I did find a thread that I remember helping me. It said that when it is installed/seated correctly, you won't be able to get your finger between the converter and the bell housing. Can you slide a finger back behind the TC right now?

Here is the quote:

"Use one hand to support the center nub of the converter, use the base of your other palm in an upward motion to not only spin the converter but gently push inward while spinning it. When you have it all the way in you will not be able to fit your finger between the converter and the bell housing. "

So I don't have any pictures, but I did find a thread that I remember helping me. It said that when it is installed/seated correctly, you won't be able to get your finger between the converter and the bell housing. Can you slide a finger back behind the TC right now?

Here is the quote:

"Use one hand to support the center nub of the converter, use the base of your other palm in an upward motion to not only spin the converter but gently push inward while spinning it. When you have it all the way in you will not be able to fit your finger between the converter and the bell housing. "
That's a good quote. I can easily put my palm of my hand on the converter and fit my finger between the converter and the bell housing. In fact I can probably fit two fingers. So, it's not on all the way. Hmmm...

That's a good quote. I can easily put my palm of my hand on the converter and fit my finger between the converter and the bell housing. In fact I can probably fit two fingers. So, it's not on all the way. Hmmm...

Yeah, I remember when it dropped into place - it seemed like quite a bit. I seem to remember like several inches. I wish now that I would have taken a picture and documented it, but I was so damn happy when it finally happened that I just started putting things together afterward. I just read over my build thread during that time and I had one post saying that I fought this issue for 1.5 hours before tossing in the towel for the evening. I remember futzing with this for a long time.

you should feel three solid engagement clunks when seating the converter onto the trans. if you don't then you aren't on all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom