Marlin Crawler inner oil seals and installation tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just want to pass along some experience with my axle rebuild, some outstanding customer service, and guidance from another thread.

Background: I purchased Marlin Crawler inner oil seals for my front axle rebuild in January 2009. (This was when the web site sold the inner seal installation tool as an 80 series application.) I finally accumulated parts, tools, and time to perform the job in April/May.

Note: The Marlin web site now shows that their inner oil seal tool no longer is applicable for and 80 series.

Here's why...

Check out the outer diameter size of the new seals compared to the seal tool.

527690826_554po-M.jpg
527691188_4AtA2-M.jpg

Using this tool on the seals will likely yield a condition like this: tears in the seal (11 o'clock and 5 o'clock).
521766722_kestS-M.jpg

Outstanding customer service: A phone call to Marlin Crawler was all that it took to remedy the situation. I talked with Big Mike, told him my situation, and sent him my picture. He explained that when I purchased my seals and seal installation tool, the web site said that the seal tool applied to the 80 series. That is not the case, and the web site has been updated. Big Mike put two new oil seals in a 2 day shipment to me, and I had the new seals installed that weekend. NO CHARGE. Thanks, Mike!

Here's another sound bite from another thread...

I got to spend some time with Marlin during CM and several of us were discussing his axle tube seals and the install tool. As of today, the tool is for the smaller seals used on 40s, 60s, and minis. Marlin does not recommend using the current tool on 80 seals. However, he will have a new & improved tool coming out in a few months. The end will be interchangeable and will be able to handle either 40 or 80 inner axle tube seals. It will have a few other improvements too. Please wait until October before you bug him about it because it takes time to get these into production.

I have not had a chance to use the Marlin seals yet but I have to agree that they appear to be an improvement over the Toyota seals (sorry Dan.) Marlin said he has sold thousands of these seals and has had virtually no complaints. I bought a pair and will install them on my next axle service.

-B-

-KK

Last edited:
For reference, there's the OEM seal with Marlin's seal installation tool:
527690998_Tn2hy-M.jpg

527691291_YHzMg-M.jpg

It looks like good fit, but I don't have any experience with how well it works for OEM seals.

-KK

For reference, there's the OEM seal with Marlin's seal installation tool:
527690998_Tn2hy-M.jpg

527691291_YHzMg-M.jpg

It looks like good fit, but I don't have any experience with how well it works for OEM seals.

-KK

After I saw your first post, I went to check the install tool with both Marlin's new seals and OEM seals, and have noticed the same thing. So how did you end up installing the Marlin's seals anyway - I assume you did not use the install tool the second time.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the Marlin seal is quite a bit larger in overall diameter. How does it fit into the same precision fit spot as the OEM seal?? Am I missing something?

DougM

Unless my eyes deceive me, the Marlin seal is quite a bit larger in overall diameter. How does it fit into the same precision fit spot as the OEM seal?? Am I missing something?

DougM

That is exactly what I was asking myself....Please explain.....

I think that brass lip sits over the birfield oil seal hole....

DougM

Hi Doug, The actual seals are the same size, however, the Marlin's seal have an oversize lip on the top. Hope the pictures show the difference (left are Marlin's seals, and the right one is OEM)
DSCN6299.jpg
DSCN6298.jpg

I just did my marlin seals, used a really big 1/2" socket, and a 1/2" entension, went in smooth

Got it - thanks!

Marlin's axle seal vs OEM

The other observation from KK's installation problem - The same size of installer works perfect for the OEM but not for the Marlin's seals, which means the OEM has smaller metal base and even smaller rubber area. I know a lot of us seem to prefer Marlin's seals. Now come to think about this - is it possible with larger rubber area, the Marlin's seal could be less reliable in a long run comparing to the OEM? :confused: Maybe I am overly thinking about this...

Good info to know.

Great info, I didn't bother to even look for this when i did mine. I just went ahead and installed mine with the tool I bought from MC.

Thanks,

Juan

I have a question about the Marlin seals. Over time, the oem seal can wear an ever so slight groove in the axle causing the seal to not seal as well. The oem seal can be installed a little further in to seal on a fresh spot on the axle. This doesn't appear to be the case with Marlin's product. Not nocking his product at all, just wondering if the exact same loctation of his seal over time could become an issue with a groove being worn and not sealing properly? I say exact same location as it appears you set the seal to the point the lip of it is flush to the inner nuckle.

NOTE- I have not seen one his seals in person, hence the question.

Buck

I used the seals and the install tool as well last month and I believe Marlin plans to offer different size discs to adapt to his tool in the future. Hopefully these other disks will be cheap otherwise his will become very pricey compared to the harbor freight option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom