Marlin Crawler inner oil seals and installation tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After I saw your first post, I went to check the install tool with both Marlin's new seals and OEM seals, and have noticed the same thing. So how did you end up installing the Marlin's seals anyway - I assume you did not use the install tool the second time.

I used a brass punch to carefully tap the metal ring into place. I got it started with a flat end of a block of wood, and used the punch thereafter. Be careful not to bend the edges back, and be careful not to use the punch on the rubber part. If I had it to do over again, I would try the 1/2" drive socket route that FourBy4Toy mentioned in this thread.

-KK

Unless my eyes deceive me, the Marlin seal is quite a bit larger in overall diameter. How does it fit into the same precision fit spot as the OEM seal?? Am I missing something?

DougM

Hi Doug-

A profile shot. Ignore the brass drift used to help hold it up for the shot.

530132493_wosmJ-M.jpg

-KK

I have a question about the Marlin seals. Over time, the oem seal can wear an ever so slight groove in the axle causing the seal to not seal as well. The oem seal can be installed a little further in to seal on a fresh spot on the axle. This doesn't appear to be the case with Marlin's product. Not knocking his product at all, just wondering if the exact same location of his seal over time could become an issue with a groove being worn and not sealing properly? I say exact same location as it appears you set the seal to the point the lip of it is flush to the inner nuckle.

NOTE- I have not seen one his seals in person, hence the question.

Buck

Hi Buck-

What I like about the Marlin seals is that there are two seal surfaces against the axle: an inner and outer as shown here.

530132526_yMqZb-M.jpg

Also, it is my observation that the rubber seal in the Marlin feels more stout than the OEM.

-KK

I won a set at the CM raffle, don’t take this as me being ungrateful, have great respect for Marlin and what he has done for the Toy wheeling community. I just don’t see these being a big upgrade on the ‘80. The mini’s, ‘40’s, etc, have smaller seals of different design, many users weld trusses, etc to the housings warping them, so need all of the help they can get.

The axle/birf is only held in place by relatively loose splines and snap-rings, as the axle rotates and steering turns there is some lateral movement at the seal, it doesn't run perfectly concentric. IMHO there will always be some slight leakage, burping between the diff fluid and grease.

I don’t have an OEM seal, so using one from a Cruiser Outfitters kit for comparison. It has a metal outer ring, the seal rubber is attached to the outer ring with a bellows type web of rubber allowing for lots of misalignment. The seal area is supported by a coil spring to provide even tension around the axle.

The Marlin seal is much more rigid, has less flexibility. The seal is attached to the inner flange of the metal and only supported by a wire ring, IMHO wont seal as well when operated in misalignment. Measuring them, the Marlin looks to seal ~1/8” further into the housing, so maybe a help if you have deeply grooved axles? The lack of flexibility may increase wear of the axle and/or seal?

It’s not like a rear main seal where you want it to run drip free for 250K+ miles, the axle needs service, so the seals only need to last a fraction of that. IMHO it’s a pick your poison, tossup thing, I have the Marlin so will run them, but would be just as confident in the original type seal, they are well proven to go the service distance plus.
oe_1.jpg
oe_2.jpg
mar_1.jpg

Sort of funny, over one year ago I made a mention that the site needed this correction and clarification. Guess someone had to take the trouble to buy these and break these to be heard! Still, a great company and a great product. Ohh, I got a seal driving set from Lisle tools that works really well. The Harbor Frieght set looks like it would work well too. :cheers:

just another observation..rubber collar's sealing surface in Marlin's seal is larger in diameter then Toyota's.
Measure it against Marlin tool and compare to OEM...Toyota seal form tighter seal.

Does anyone on here have the special service tool that the FSM calls for? Its like a blue box with a bunch of machined discs in it, also has a cool little handle too.

Its work great for me over the last few years and comes in handy on most other verhicles I end up working on.

Just curious, did the Slee tool contact the outer metal ring of the Marlin seal?

Congrats on getting the rebuild done!

Riley

No it did not but it seemed to work. I did not notice any cracks in the seal.

Based on the age of this thread, these should have been installed a while now. Was it worth it? Are they better than OEM?

I seem to be replacing the OEM ones every 20,000KM's on my now Part Time 80.

Based on the age of this thread, these should have been installed a while now. Was it worth it? Are they better than OEM?

I seem to be replacing the OEM ones every 20,000KM's on my now Part Time 80.

Sounds like you have a different type a problem. Maybe Maybe the spindle bushing is getting way too loose and allowing the birf to wallow around way to much in its rotational orbit? OEM and the ones from Cruiser Outfitters seem to last 3 or 4 times that long. John

Sounds like you have a different type a problem. Maybe Maybe the spindle bushing is getting way too loose and allowing the birf to wallow around way to much in its rotational orbit? OEM and the ones from Cruiser Outfitters seem to last 3 or 4 times that long. John

We used all Toyota parts last time, Bronze bush, bearings, seals, gaskets, refurbished toyota manual hubs, new CV's, Axles the lot. From what I've read my issue is that the axle isn't moving regularly which due to vibration deforms the seal over time allowing oil through.

Reading about these Marlin ones they are stiffer and were originally designed for part time hilux and 70 series trucks. With that in mind they may be more suitable for me. Due to the time it takes to rebuild, I want to try something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom