Manual Transmission in 200 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, i wonder what it weighs. Got any more details / pics?
GVM is 3350. Weight now? Not sure. Has a 93 liter main tank and a 45 liter sub tank that gravity feeds the main one for total of 138 liters.

I’ll get some photos posted up soon, but check out my family’s website and insta @ThisGlobalJourney where we have a number of pics of the cruiser premod and post mod as well as some videos.

GVM is 3350. Weight now? Not sure. Has a 93 liter main tank and a 45 liter sub tank that gravity feeds the main one for total of 138 liters.

I’ll get some photos posted up soon, but check out my family’s website and insta @ThisGlobalJourney where we have a number of pics of the cruiser premod and post mod as well as some videos.

Thats what we label GVWR and includes all hypothetical passengers and cargo which funny enough is identical to my 3 row LX 570 @ 7,385 lbs.
Curb weight should be much less than our 6,000+ lbs. Very interesting!

BTW love the mission. I could have a VERY long conversation about that!

ydifnytw5c26x8evolhl.jpg

Only drawback is that if you get the 5 Speed Manual option, you have to also take the cassette player!!!

zv0o8c1fbgl1ficmv4.jpg

Correct on the manual only being offered with the 4.slow. And not at all on the 300, if I remember correctly.

I put manual transmissions in the 200 platform in the list of things people think they want until they have it and gradually have to admit to themselves toyota knew what they were doing. The auto is better off road, modern ones are very reliable and efficient, and easier to implement into the rest of the vehicle when you consider no clutch pedal/hydraulics or need for a shifter to poke through the trans tunnel and isolate vibration/noise.

I highly doubt anyone will ever convert a road going 5.7 cruiser for these reasons and as you mentioned the electronics.

That said, I do believe the Dakar 200s are 4.5TD with a manual, though obviously they have a ton of resources for custom work.
But but but... le manuel.

Thats what we label GVWR and includes all hypothetical passengers and cargo which funny enough is identical to my 3 row LX 570 @ 7,385 lbs.
Curb weight should be much less than our 6,000+ lbs. Very interesting!

BTW love the mission. I could have a VERY long conversation about that!
Curb weight is 2610.

My cruiser didn’t come factory with a stereo. I had TGS add one, but it was a fairly standard Toyota setup. No cassette player though, lol. Shame is there are only speakers in the front dash and front doors. 2nd row and back row don’t get speakers, much to the chagrin of our kids, translators and disciples. 🙄 I’ve got heaps of things I need to get sorted once the borders reopen. If the money is there, I’ll add speakers and a few bits and bobs to make life a little easier on the long journeys.

PM sent. I’d love to chat with you!

Curb weight is 2610.

My cruiser didn’t come factory with a stereo. I had TGS add one, but it was a fairly standard Toyota setup. No cassette player though, lol. Shame is there are only speakers in the front dash and front doors. 2nd row and back row don’t get speakers, much to the chagrin of our kids, translators and disciples. 🙄 I’ve got heaps of things I need to get sorted once the borders reopen. If the money is there, I’ll add speakers and a few bits and bobs to make life a little easier on the long journeys.

PM sent. I’d love to chat with you!

5,755 lbs on the TTV8 Diesel should be flying of the line. While HP is low maybe the top end is due to the 5 speed gearing?
I wonder what a 100 series 6 speed swap would do for you.

5,755 lbs on the TTV8 Diesel should be flying of the line. While HP is low maybe the top end is due to the 5 speed gearing?
I wonder what a 100 series 6 speed swap would do for you.
It really does accelerate well, even with a steel bull bar, 12,000lb winch and a rear steel bumper. It moves, the engine literally roars, and can cruiser at 140kph without even realizing it. From what I understand, the VDJ200 w/ 5 speed manual is de-tuned though. The auto box has more HP from the factory than the manual. Still, there’s none of the gear hunting issues people speak of. 3rd gear is the happy place where torque and acceleration really meet up nice. I do like the H150F gearbox. I would have loved to have it mated up to the 1HD-FT in my old 80 series. That manual gearbox was a pain in the butt to down shift into 2nd or 1st gear. This one is a dream in any gear.

If anyone ever makes it over to Angola, you’re welcome to take it for a spin! 😁

I read somewhere that LC200's transmission is controlled using both main ECU and transmission ECU inputs. Swapping out with a manual may be harder as it would require bypassing or playing nice with main ECU.

I have 2015 4.5 twin turbo diesel , 5 manual transmission. NO intercooler. basic seats No split middle seats. No cruise control. And BARN DOORS 2 SPARES one on the door
I fitted the factory intercooler and free flow exhaust remapped the ECU.
And the cruise control just needed the cruise control switch only. the harness is ready plug and play

I have 2015 4.5 twin turbo diesel , 5 manual transmission. NO intercooler. basic seats No split middle seats. No cruise control. And BARN DOORS 2 SPARES one on the door
I fitted the factory intercooler and free flow exhaust remapped the ECU.
And the cruise control just needed the cruise control switch only. the harness is ready plug and play
I had the same option when purchasing from Toyota Gibraltar, but decided to step up from the standard to the GXR. Nice to know about the cruise control switch. My GXR came without cruise control as well. Did you fit it to one of the blanks in the steering wheel?

Adding some videos on the land cruiser variants we got in the Middle East.

Besides Diesel, we had 3 petrol engine choices (4.0l v6, 4.6l v8, 5.7l v8), each with different trim levels (bare bones - desert spec to fill option city spec). Only the v6 came with a 5 speed manual, but some have converted the 4.6l v8 into manual (you lose A-TRAC and electronic aids/ some say ratios aren't matching the engine profile)

GX-R V6 full option - manual

Converted V8 to manual

Bonus video is the 5.7l v8 desert spec (integrated winch, no rear wing or body kits, basic wheels, spare wheel carrier)

Wow, cloth seats, presumably few electronics (?), a 1VD and manual gearbox would be an amazing vehicle to own and operate. I would love one in RHD

Overseas, there exists a variant with manual. I believe the only 200-series with such was a low end 4.0L 1GR-FE gasser (think 4Runner motor) with a 5-speed manual. IIRC, all 200-diesels were 6-speed autos as I don't think Toyota has in its inventory a manual capable of handling the torque of the bigger motors.

Practically speaking, and I've done a couple engine swaps, I would not dare try on a electronics laden 200-series. As an interesting thought experiment, and people have built unicorns for less reasons, performance surely wouldn't be one of them. The 5.7L is the pinnacle motor for the 200-series. Even the overseas 4.5L diesel, won't match the power (HP) output of the 5.7L, unless really blown with serious forced induction. One can do the same with the 5.7L if going that far. For torque, which is really about wheel torque, there is always gearing to pair with the big bore 5.7L which is no slouch in that arena. Then consider the weight aspect of a diesel impacting payload, slower response... there wouldn't be many reasons to do so. Efficiency would be about the only one, and there are big aux tank options to support the 5.7L.
You get him with the 4,5L twin turbo V8 in 5-Speed. The difference to the other modells is that the engine has "only" 220hp with the manual gear bc it isnt able to take higher torque. Still enough to speed up without problems. And its much more durable under tough conditions - thats why Toyota Gibraltar is selling the most LCs as manual.
And the 5,7L is only for the US-marked... just bc "wow such much liters"... maybe also for the Saudis.

Wow, cloth seats, presumably few electronics (?), a 1VD and manual gearbox would be an amazing vehicle to own and operate. I would love one in RHD

It’s an awesome vehicle, and is exactly what I have. Very few electronics, though they could have added a bit more in that area, like factory stereo, cruise control, 2nd row speakers and some of the steering wheel functions for phone/audio and cruise control. Then again, there’s always something to gripe about, so I was quite happy to take it as it was, and kit it to my specs.

It’s an awesome vehicle, and is exactly what I have. Very few electronics, though they could have added a bit more in that area, like factory stereo, cruise control, 2nd row speakers and some of the steering wheel functions for phone/audio and cruise control. Then again, there’s always something to gripe about, so I was quite happy to take it as it was, and kit it to my specs.
sounds like you have exactly the same version like me. But ok my LC had an factory radio-cd (6 CDs - much wow, such sound... :rofl:) player. I think in my papers its rly called africa-version.
I also miss a cruise controll and one or two buttons on the steering wheel would be nice.... your LC didnt had the factory rear lockers and winch?

But hey, i have a special mirror opener :wacky:

IMG_7491.jpg

I could be wrong but I don't believe any Toyota/Lex 3UR vehicle was offered with a manual transmission from the factory.
Exactly. The 3UR was only automatic since the manual transmition f the 200 is not able to handle that force. With the Tundra and Sequoia (the real US Land Cruiser... no 4wd, V8 5L+ etc.... and big enough to face the Ford Expedition to catch the football mums... ) this version was just made for the north american marked and middle east.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom