Lx570 steering rack leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2010 lx570 is leaking from the driver side rack. Not a terrible leak but definitely getting things wet. Has anyone tried to replace a rack end seal while the rack is installed? Also worrying about the control arm bushing that is getting soaked with fluid being directly under the rack leak. I wonder how long until the bushing becomes compromised due to soaking up steering fluid?

As I understand it replacing the pressure seals involves pulling the pinion to slide the rack out the end. Personally I’d just do the whole rack. FSM calls for pulling the engine to do so but users have posted that’s not necessary.

Is it true its a 23 hour book job?

Is steering rack an issue on 200 series?
no, not an issue. It eventually fails. Most of them I've seen fail are around 100-170k miles. But at that milage I just consider it a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced.

no, not an issue. It eventually fails. Most of them I've seen fail are around 100-170k miles. But at that milage I just consider it a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced.

Thank you for that. Mine at 260K miles is still original. Will keep an eye on it.

Being long time 100 series owner, I am very familiar with the rack issue on that platform, thus wasn't sure if it is same on 200 series. Thanks

Thank you for that. Mine at 260K miles is still original. Will keep an eye on it.

Being long time 100 series owner, I am very familiar with the rack issue on that platform, thus wasn't sure if it is same on 200 series. Thanks
no real issues. The only "problem" i've found is that the original 200 series steering racks from 2008 to Somewhere around 2013 or 2014 were very smooth and steered with very little effort. Somewhere along the way Toyota changed somthing about how they're valved internally (or something) and the newer racks are very noticeably more firm. So when someone with an earlier 200 series gets a new rack installed (or rebuilt), they usually notice immediately the additional effort required to steer.

200k on mine, zero issues.

And like our brakes, most of what you find about the job on a tundra will apply to our rigs.

My 2010 lx570 is leaking from the driver side rack. Not a terrible leak but definitely getting things wet. Has anyone tried to replace a rack end seal while the rack is installed? Also worrying about the control arm bushing that is getting soaked with fluid being directly under the rack leak. I wonder how long until the bushing becomes compromised due to soaking up steering fluid?

Are you in Colorado by chance? I have a brand new OEM rack in the box in my garage I intended to install on the 2008 I used to have. I bought it to do preventative maintenance however it never needed it. I have tons of new OEM stuff actually - CV axles, front driveshaft, LCAs…if you’re local and interested let me know!

Anybody have info on how to go about this without pulling the engine, per the FSM?
There is a video on this done on a GX it may give some insight. I once thought it is easier on these trucks compare to unibody like Camry / Avalon (about few hrs). But it does seem the frame make it less easy to access. The rack is not as visible as a Camry.

Anybody have info on how to go about this without pulling the engine, per the FSM?
I replaced the steering rack on my 2011 LC 200. you need to create as much space as you can. I took the oil filter housing off and took the sway bar off.

When putting the new rack in I had the steering centered, in order to get the rack in I had to move the steering all the way to the right and it finally squeezed into place. I think Toyota changed the way they recommend installing this, they referred to a specific tool that moves the steering right and left, I didn't have it and wish I did.

It took me about 12 hours to remove and reinstall. Granted I had a lift to put the 200 up on, but I also had access to a lot of special tools. If I didn't I think it would still be on jack stands in my garage.

I did the job myself because I didn't want to pay $3,500 to have it done. After doing it I understand why they charge that much to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom